Post your favorite game recipes here. Include preparations like sausage, etc. Include any photos of the process if you have them ;) Enjoy !
By Anthony
I have made sausage in the past using deer 70% and pork 30% (comprised of ground pork and smoked bacon)

A friend killed a wild sow (250lbs ???) on Sunday. Its on ice now.

This saturday we are planning to make sausage. I have the seasonings already.

My question is since it is 100% pork already but appears lean (I was not there during cleaning) how much additional fat do I need ?

Here is the critter: (and my friend Stuart [kneeling])
By Ol Arky
We haven't made any from wild hogs... Wish I could help... :( :(
If there is zero fat on the ole gal, I'd go with the 30% ratio. It will keep it from drying out during smoking or frying.
By Anthony
Ok, I managed to find a local butcher shop who had 10lbs of fat trimmings. They asked $1.29lb for it... darn! pork FAT cholesteral poison ought to be free :D
By Anthony
We processed a deer into ground and bagged first. Then we started on the sausage. we made a total of 36lbs of sausage using the hi-mountain Prairie Sage Breakfast sausage seasoning which I really like.

We did the 70/30 ratio and tried some. we fried up a pan fuil... it was good. The sow was not gamey at all. In fact I have bought pork at the store that had a strange or gamey smell while this meat had no smell.

Oddly enough that pig gave up only 30 lbs of meat in total including every little scrap we could get off the ribs. some neck meat probably went to waste however. I was surprised at only 30lbs....
By Anthony
I was going by what he said but it did look smaller to me.... The story had probably been told quite a few times and with each telling the hog got larger and LARGER and LARGER
By mattpatt
A 250lbs wild hog is a HUGE hog and pretty rare (at least they are around here). Been trapping for 5 years and have yet to catch one that big.
By dbaxter
I killed an Indiana wild boar a few years ago with my bow that weighed 225lbs and he looks bigger than the one your friend killed. He was very good eating too! My wife will not eat deer meat (won't even try it) but, she loved eating that wild boar! I told her that did not make sense to me. She then explained (as only a woman can :lol: ) that deer were too cute but, that thing is ugly enough to eat!!!!

David
She then explained (as only a woman can :lol: ) that deer were too cute but, that thing is ugly enough to eat!!!! David

Well David , if that is her logic, then she must be gobbling you right up :lol:
By cosmos24
She then explained (as only a woman can :lol: ) that deer were too cute but, that thing is ugly enough to eat!!!! David

Well David , if that is her logic, then she must be gobbling you right up :lol:

:x :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://youtu.be/V2Fwz7XAfzI

We have to build a free internet, a new data cente[…]

This takes talent

red.jpg

From the President

https://youtu.be/j3mBeZqLuYE?t=58