I think you know what you are doing here... :)
By mattpatt
#349985 Some of my 4 and 5 year old chestnuts are blooming for the first time...

Five year old Allegheny Chinquapin (Male catkins)

Female catkins on the same tree

Four year old Dunstan Chestnut

Matt
By johnnydeerhunter
#349991 They are looking good Matt
By bowhtr1
#349999 Mine did that this year but I don't see any chestnuts. I had three in pots and rubbed them on one another.
By mattpatt
#350000 I had four chestnut trees that bloomed this year. Expecting many more next year and maybe a few nuts if I'm lucky. The start of much better things to come. The Allegheny Chinquapin started last year with just a few catkins and this year it's covered. Too bad I don't have another chinquapin the same age for it to cross with.

Matt
By yoderj@cox.net
#351035 Matt,

Congrats! Your trees are looking great. Some of mine are larger than the ones in the picture vegetatively but I have yet to see any catkins on them. This year, one tree produced what appears to be a viable nut. I'm presuming it was fertilized by one of the native ACs since none of the dunstans have catkins.

Thanks,

Jack
Last edited by yoderj@cox.net on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By speed2spare
#351069 That's awesome Matt. What percent of your seedlings would you guess made it the 5 year old mark?