Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Cuddeback cameras.
By rebbie
I sent my Cuddeback E3 Black Flash camera back to them to have the camera converted to an E2 IR model because the motion blur of the night time photos was so bad that the photos were useless at night. I sent the camera back a little over a week ago for the fix and I just received the camera back in the mail today! That was fast! They emailed me when they received the camera and then sent me another email that the camera was fixed and on it's way back to me with a tracking number. They literally had the camera for 2 days, fixed it and sent it right back out. I have it out now to test it. I hope the nighttime photos are better. I will keep everyone updated.
By rebbie
That is fast service. Hope the fix gets the camera working to your satisfaction.

Thanks. Do you own any Cuddebacks? This is the only one I have ever had. It was a gift. The camera actually functions well! I just hope the night time motion blur is improved. I realized with black flash cameras you get motion blur but mine was ridiculously bad.
By LibbyLA
We have Spartans (both cell and regular, mostly black flash but a few IR), Bushnells (mostly Trophy and Trophy HD, three black the others IR) and one lowly little Browning. T started with Moultrie and Primos (at the time when C and D cell cams were the norm) but none of them lasted so we have a stack of dummy cams if we ever need them.

With as many cameras as we are running, and with almost all of them having to be in security boxes, sticking to only three different security box sizes (Bushnell black flash cams use a different box from the little IR Trophy cams) is a must for us. We need to be able to swap out cameras easily if something goes on the fritz.
By FredG
That is fast service. Hope the fix gets the camera working to your satisfaction.

Thanks. Do you own any Cuddebacks? This is the only one I have ever had. It was a gift. The camera actually functions well! I just hope the night time motion blur is improved. I realized with black flash cameras you get motion blur but mine was ridiculously bad.

What Matt (Mjn1979) said in reply to your first post about the E3 was exactly right!! The key to getting acceptable results with a Cuddeback (black or red flash) is all in your setup. You have to set the camera so that it gets a good amount of reflected IR light back to the active part of the sensor, this active (metered) part being the lower 3/5ths of the frame with a justification towards the center. This reflective feedback is the input needed by the firmware to force the exposure programing into selecting a shutter speed that is fast enough to freeze or at least reduce motion blur. The closer the reflective objects are the brighter the reflection coming back to the camera and the more it will force the shutter speed up, but as Matt said, the flash range will also shorten. With firmware v.3.0.0 its pretty easy on a tight set to get the shutter speed up to 1/250th sec (freezing nearly all motion blur) and unfortunately it is also very easy on longer sets to point the camera in a direction with little to no feedback that lets the shutter speed leak down as low as 1/10th sec (absolutely awful motion blur!). With a little experimentation the 'right' setup will become second nature to you.

The fact you got your E3 surgically reassigned as an E2 red flash will help quite a bit. CMOS sensors are about 3x more sensitive to red IR than they are to black IR so if you put your new E2 red in the exact same set that gave you 1/10th sec shutter speed with the E3 black you should now see the shutter speed improve to 1/30th sec (not great but a big improvement). But if you follow the setup advice above you well could see what would have been 1/60th sec with the E3 jump up to 1/180th sec with the E2 (very good motion reduction).

Here's an example of 1/250th sec shutter speed stopping motion (and restricting range). First and second frames of a 3 shot burst of a fox spinning and then jumping out of the frame. The reflectance of the foreground vegetation in the bottom 3/5ths of the frame automatically moderated the exposure settings to 1/250th sec at ISO 3200 with or without an animal in the frame...

Hope this helps you out some!

Fred
By rebbie
Hope this helps you out some!

Fred

Thanks for the info!
By rebbie
Well I just pulled the sd card earlier this afternoon to check the photos. I am happy to report that the nighttime photos are much improved! Motion blur has been reduced a lot! I walked by it at night and you can clearly see the bright Red Glow as the camera takes a photo. I rather have the camera that has a red glow and takes good nighttime photos then a Black flash camera with nighttime photos that were useless if the deer was moving just a little bit! If you are trying to choose between the Black flash E3 or the regular IR E2, I would go with the E2!
Bobcat's back.

Hi Reaperman! It seems that this bobcat always t[…]

Thief

I'm not sure what kind of egg this crow found but […]

Grey wolf

The change of the coat starts this season. This wo[…]

Bobcat

I love bobcats! In Italy it is extinct in many reg[…]