Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Stealth Cam cameras. Note: Please post threads pertaining to cellular cams in the "Cellular Trail Camera Discussion" forum.
By Jim Nelson
#349150 Newbie here, just joined to gain knowledge. I bought a G42NG in 2014 and it has been great for what I use it for which is taking videos on our property . I have it set for 30 sec videos and have close to 3,000 of them. I decided to get a second camera and going on my experience ordered another G42NG from Amazon. It seemed to not be getting what I expected so I set it up right beside my old camera and when the old rig would get 15-35 videos in 24 hrs. , the new one would get 6-10. I contacted Amazon and set up an exchange.The second camera did the same thing and also the videos would get real jerky when any animal was being recorded so I called customer service.The customer service person had me do a hard restart by removing batteries and card for 15 min. then re formatting the card on the computer rather than in the camera.Still no good so they authorized another exchange.The 3rd camera did the same thing plus the few videos it took were very blurry .This was enough for me so after a few email Amazon agreed to refund my money.
Has anyone else had trouble like this?Is there another camera that is comparable to this that you have had good luck with and would recommend?
Thanks
Jim
By bowhtr1
#349160 Someone told me there are 3 version of the g42ng. I just found this out last week. On the box or somewhere it may have a v1 v2 or v3. This is the different versions. Don't know much else about it but who knows what was changed in them. I will have to stop recommending them.
By Jim Nelson
#349161 Thanks for the reply, my first camera is version 1,the next 2 were version 3 and the last was version 2. There is a little tag on the back of them with a V1 or 2 or 3 in the upper right corner. From my experience I'd say the version 1 is the way to go if you can find one.
By mooser
#349966 I bought 2 of the new V3 versions. They are garbage in pics and videos. They are also blurry. Some videos taken out side when it was cloudy out turned out very dark. Emailed them and they said i do not need the latest firm ware version. Why do some companies when they have a fairly good product,try to improve them and screw them up.
By bowhtr1
mooser wrote:I bought 2 of the new V3 versions. They are garbage in pics and videos. They are also blurry. Some videos taken out side when it was cloudy out turned out very dark. Emailed them and they said i do not need the latest firm ware version. Why do some companies when they have a fairly good product,try to improve them and screw them up.

I have no idea why they would try and change a good camera. They are just stupid imo.
By picdic
#353670 so, what is up with the 3 versions? is the 2nd and 3rd updated/improved generations of the model? yet they are worse than the 1st version??
this is the whole thing that is wrong with tcams in general these days. they can't even seem to "perfect" one model properly. their fix is to then create a "bigger, better" model. but in reality, it's not like they want a cam to be perfect. they want cams replaced and repaired so they can continue making sales. but I think the companies could/would have better sales in the long run, by having loyalty to their brand, which would happen if they could "perfect" some models.
I don't have 2 cams that are the same brand, and my next will probably be a different brand again. reading through all the posts and reviews, there isn't a brand/model out there that doesn't have some people swearing against them. and instances like this thread, where a person is going through 2-3 replacement cameras and still crap, that alone is enough to make me swear off that brand all-together.