Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By vzretiree
Yes, text message in about 2 min on 1 bar. Have not seen a busy message. I get " login failure " without enough signal.
By RR_Security
Okay, I've only seen "Login fail" a couple of times. One (or more) of those was in a place where I probably shouldn't have expected it to do anything. That does suggest that it's making a connection the rest of the time.

I should go see if there's anything on the Web about that "3941 Network busy" vs. the "3818 Network busy" that I've seen a couple of times.
By RR_Security
My Code Black works. I had to send one Ltl-5210M back to OldBoys for service last week, so I pinched the SIM out of it to try in the other Acorn (the one with the T-Mobile SIM and the external antenna I rigged up) and the Code Black.

At the place where my UM562 is and the original "AT&T Acorn" had worked before it started having problems, both the remaining Acorn and the Code Black connected, and the Code Black transmitted its first pic to me. The Covert seemed to be getting four or five bars where the Acorn was getting three.

In another location about a half-mile from there, the Acorn looked a little "iffy," but the Covert sent a pic okay. At a couple of other locations another mile or two away in the same town, neither one could connect. Maybe the Code Black can still be used in one or both of those places, if I put an external antenna on it.
By rangerz22
Vzretiree,

I have been following this site for 3 years now reading and learning through everyone else on here. Just thought I would say hello to you and the rest and let you know I just got 2 Stealth Drones up and running on the Verizon Network. There are guys out there selling whole kit w/battery for 459-499. Setup is not as much fun in beginning but I have the direct numbers to the engineers for help. So if you need Verizon this is a great alternative to the Buckeye cams. Also, I have a Covert Special Ops and just ordered the UM 562 after reading shenriver_man posts on it. Good luck!
By vzretiree
[quote="rangerz22"]Vzretiree,

I have been following this site for 3 years now reading and learning through everyone else on here. Just thought I would say hello to you and the rest and let you know I just got 2 Stealth Drones up and running on the Verizon Network. There are guys out there selling whole kit w/battery for 459-499. Setup is not as much fun in beginning but I have the direct numbers to the engineers for help. So if you need Verizon this is a great alternative to the Buckeye cams. Also, I have a Covert Special Ops and just ordered the UM 562 after reading shenriver_man posts on it. Good luck![/quote

Good information, thanks. I'll look into the Drones.
By RR_Security
Welcome to CG, Rangerz22.

I just got 2 Stealth Drones up and running on the Verizon Network. There are guys out there selling whole kit w/battery for 459-499. Setup is not as much fun in beginning but I have the direct numbers to the engineers for help. So if you need Verizon this is a great alternative to the Buckeye cams.
These were sounding very interesting, except for "transmits your trail camera images to a website where you can log in and view your images from anywhere you have an Internet connection."
Then they got to the part where the Stealth Cam rep said "It uploads up to four times a day." (Around 1:49 at <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adBJHL8kG08>.)

Not so good for my purposes, but I bet there'll be other members who would be tickled to know they can finally use Verizon.
By RR_Security
This afternoon, I finally assembled the Wilson Trucker antenna and tried it on the Ltl-5210MM (T-Mobile SIM) that has an external SMA connector, and on the Code Black (AT&T SIM).
I didn't put it up very high, but it looked like I was getting as much as 4-5 bars on the Code Black. Still, it kept saying "Login fail." The Ltl Acorn just kept showing "CREG."

Oh, Image.
By vzretiree
I'm just glad I didn't have a hammer with me. Took a hike into my hard to get to big buck spot and found one place on top the hill where my 562 had signal. Due to possible theft, I planned on placing it up in a tree. Strapped on 5 steps and did some trimming. Got the camera mounted and...............no signal, in any direction. :cry:
By RR_Security
Argh. Image

Was that with the "stock stick" antenna, or an external? My Covert antenna arrived this afternoon, so I did some tests with my Code Black (UM565) and a Ltl5210M, using the new antenna. I stuck the antenna on the roof of my truck, and tried both cams in several locations.
The Acorn (T-Mobile SIM) kept on with the "CREG" or "CSQ" (one time) stuff, but I did notice some improvement on the Code Black. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll post more in the Code Black external antenna thread, but I wanted to mention there may be some hope yet.

Leave the hammer at home, and if you're going to be using lag bolts, don't bring too big a wrench. :wink:
By vzretiree
Put a Wilson Trucker antenna out today. Camera worked like a charm out in the boonies where it didn't before.
By RR_Security
Way cool! 8)
Glad to hear you got 'er goin'.

I have mine on the clamp-mount that came with it, so I might make some kind of tripod rig to hold it upright while I do some more tests in different locations.
By tntractor
VZretiree,

Please forgive the question but I have very little mechanical/electrical experience.

I recently purchased the UM 562 and got it up and running on one part of my farm but at a second location where my cell phone has 1-2 bars I'm getting the log in failure message. I saw that HCO has an antenna booster kit for a little over $100 but then noted you used a Wilson Trucker Antenna with good results.

I note there are different Wilson antenna mounts offered for around $40. Is there a specific type you used? Any special mounting to do or does it just screw in where the stock antenna screws in and then you're ready to go?

Thanks so much!
By RR_Security
Welcome to ChasinGame.

I also bought a Wilson Trucker to use with MMS cams. The Truckers come with an FME ("For Mobile Equipment") connector on the end of the coaxial cable that goes between the device (a cell phone for most users, or a trail camera for us crazy people) and the antenna. You'll need an adapter from the FME connector to the type SMA ("SubMiniature version A") connector on the camera. I think the adapter needs to be FME male to SMA female.

There are actually a couple of types of Truckers, a 21½" one with a spring at the bottom of its mast, and a 36" version. I'd recommend the shorter one, with a "three-way mount." That mount is made to be clamped onto something tubular like a "West Coast" mirror frame, or can be screwed to a wall or other surface. The mount could be strapped to the tree where your camera is mounted, up high enough to maybe get a better connection for the cam.

Put the antenna up as high as you can, but leave enough slack in the cable to make a "drip loop" so that rain and other moisture will run to that low point on the cable rather than directly to where the cable connects to the cam. (Search the term "drip loop" on this forum to see what I'm yakking about.) If your camera is in a security case, leave a little more slack in the cable, so you can slide the cam out of the case to change the card, etc., without having to disconnect the antenna. Running even a low power transmitter like a cell phone or cam without an antenna connected can be bad for the device.

Now, after all that, the HCO #114 antenna is more expensive because it's a directional antenna, meaning it works best when aimed directly at the cell tower you want the cam to exchange signals with. A good omnidirectional antenna like the one from DLC Covert might be just fine for getting your cam beyond the 1-2 bars, for around the same price or maybe less than the Trucker. The DLC antenna will have an SMA connector on its cable, and won't require you to screw in the six radials that make up its ground plane before you can put it up. I've already managed to snap one of the shorter radials off where it threads into the antenna, so I think I'm going to stick with the Covert antennas from now on. Maybe some day I'll build a Yagi, another directional antenna that you can read up on right here on ChasinGame.

Good luck with your new cam.
By vzretiree
I purchased the Wilson Trucker from walmart online. Was not described but came with about 10-12 feet of rg58 cable. Cut off the connector and replaced it with a crimp on one from radio shack. Taped it to a pole. Now a telescoping plastic pole would be terrific.
Spypoint LINK-micro

I hawe buy camera today. Set it up,registration,g[…]

they have completed a prelim review but a full rev[…]

I've been running my cameras on medium or low, whe[…]

day late and dollar short in replying... i think w[…]