Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By Gforce
I thought it had to have one cell # programmed in and that one automatically got a text. I'd actually rather not get a text. I'd like it better if it just went to my gmail acct. The text is actually a waste to me. When it's been working right, both the text and email hit my phone simultaneously.

You do have to have one cell # programmed in or you will get a null phone warning when running the setup program, but you can also select to just send it to email in the setup program or the Cam menu also after running setup. This is for Code Black which if I remember correctly you have.
By swat1018
I haven't got an email today, either. But, that's not that uncommon for my setup. I did get a couple yesterday. I had the problem where I couldn't get an emailed pic about a year ago. After trying a million things I switched email addresses, and sent it to my work email. It worked fine. Can't figure out why my personal email doesn't get them, and it's not in the junk folder, etc. Wierd.
By Ol Arky
I don't know what I'm talkin' about but it would seem to me once the text (picture) is sent by AT&T to the email address that the email service provifer would then send it to ya email account... Thus AT&T would have no control of the picture once it wasso called in the hands of the email service provider.
By Gforce
The problem seems to be AT&T isn't delivering it to the Email Service provider, but only when the option of "Both" Phone and Email is selected. Works fine if you only send it to Email or Phone but not "Both" at the same time. Tech Support tried to explore the possibility that it may be my Email Provider blocking it, only problem is, I am my Email provider and I control the MMX records, DNS, Spam Controls, Domains the Emails are on, and delivery and Server records, AT&T JUST FLAT DIDN'T SEND THE EMAILS down the chain.

I still say AT&T has implemented Flood Control on the Gateway possibly to stop Spamming or DOS attacks. If so, that means a time out session before accepting new connections from the same Address or Number. The Cam software may not be able to recognize the time delay sequencing packet data and thus the data is lost because the Cam sends it regardless.
I still say AT&T has implemented Flood Control on the Gateway possibly to stop Spamming or DOS attacks. If so, that means a time out session before accepting new connections from the same Address or Number. The Cam software may not be able to recognize the time delay sequencing packet data and thus the data is lost because the Cam sends it regardless.

Sounds like a very good possibility but I'll bet you will have a hard time getting anyone to admit it on their end. :P

Clay
By mattpatt
Txt is way more reliable than email in my opinion. With email there are a lot more hops the the pic has to take to get to your phone and it seems it's unreliable
By Gforce

Sounds like a very good possibility but I'll bet you will have a hard time getting anyone to admit it on their end. :P

Clay

It was pretty obvious when talking to tech support that they didn't have a clue as to how the email mms for the cam got routed. From what I can detain, phone mms gets sent to the phone number you plug in to receive the mms in the UOV Setup software, email mms gets routed to 111-048-4003 number, which is an AT&T email gateway router from what I can tell. They both use the same APN "@mms.att.net" but get routed different depending on the mms destination, "Phone or Email". The break in the chain seems to be the route switching for Email sending. The funny part is if only sending to email it all works just fine.

My thinking is, all this will be solved when the new 3g Cams come out, gateway switching won't be necessary because everything will be addressed to email and GPRS and SMS will be a thing of the past. 2 years seems to be the time frame that our cams will continue to work on AT&T because they are fazing out 2g.
By Roscoe
Oh my goodness! :evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

I just spent 23 minutes on the phone with some support guy with at&t. Of course about 18 of those minutes were of him assuring me of how well he was going to take care of me. :roll:

I finally just hung up on the guy. I'm not sure he ever had any idea of what I was trying to tell him.
Looks like we will never see the pictures from our Little Acorns sent to e-mail again.

I'm still waiting for a reply on Ron Bury's site about this.

When I first set the camera up and had to activate the SIM card with AT&T, they had no idea that a trail camera used a SIM card and could transmit the pictures it takes using AT&T.
By Roscoe
It was pretty obvious when talking to tech support that they didn't have a clue as to how the email mms for the cam got routed. From what I can detain, phone mms gets sent to the phone number you plug in to receive the mms in the UOV Setup software, email mms gets routed to 111-048-4003 number, which is an AT&T email gateway router from what I can tell. They both use the same APN "@mms.att.net" but get routed different depending on the mms destination, "Phone or Email". The break in the chain seems to be the route switching for Email sending. The funny part is if only sending to email it all works just fine.

My thinking is, all this will be solved when the new 3g Cams come out, gateway switching won't be necessary because everything will be addressed to email and GPRS and SMS will be a thing of the past. 2 years seems to be the time frame that our cams will continue to work on AT&T because they are fazing out 2g.

I think Friday afternoon when I go check this camera I will pop the sim card into the old samsung phone I used to activate the card and try to send a group text (pic) to the phone # and email address. That's essentially what the camera is doing. I bet it works sending it from an actual phone...
By Roscoe
I posted a thread about this over at texasbowhunter forum. I know there are a bunch of folks on there with mms cameras. Be interesting to get some more feedback on this.

The first reply was the same story as ours: been getting text messages but last email was received on 2/4.

I just spoke to Tom w/Old Boys and he had gotten another call about it and was going to turn it over to their engineers to investigate. He said if they figured anything out or had an update, they would post something here.
Is this only happening with AT&T?

Some web sites are saying that AT&T has already started converting some locations over to 3G. Could this be part of the problem?

3G uses 1900 MHz. So, when it is fully implemented jan 1, 2017 then a lot of fringe areas will lose cell coverage (e g game cameras). Also, 850 MHz yagi's will be useless.

Enjoy mms technology while you can.
Mike
By Roscoe
I don't know Mike. I know the switchover has supposedly already begun in some areas. I would think it would be a case of it either working or not working at all though. Wouldn't that make sense?

It's certainly making me think I might should've just waited on the 3g cams.
Mms/SMS messages are routed differently from email msgs. It could be that is the root of the problem.

I today added my email back to my panda and after 2 hours have not yet received an email.

By the way, 2 miles would be stretching it getting a signal using 1900 MHz.
Mike

My first critter pics on my ridgetec. . I also bo[…]

Spypoint Cell-Link

Moultrie 888i

Bats - low flights over the water they collect wa[…]

This is just wrong!

2 year old buck drinks fawns milk... :mrgreen: :[…]