Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
So are you saying if we are not fairly close to a tower that 3g might be a step backwards in terms of us be able to use cell cams?

Yup!

But, it does appear that AT&T has a mad dash going to increase numbers of towers. They are spending most of their money in urban areas though. After all, that's where they have most customers. I think they might be leaving the bulk of coverage in rural areas to the smaller providers. Just a gut feel on my part.

I have made a 1900mhz yagi but haven't tested it yet. It's only about 8" long. I have a quad band omni-directional antenna at my RV and I do get 1900mhz signals with it, but only about 10% of the time. I am 5 miles from the tower I'm using.

Mike
I don't understand why AT&T cannot provide us with an answer to this.
By Gforce

I'm not really expecting any, I think the only ones that are going to root the problem out of AT&T is going to be the Software Engineers for the Cam Manufactures. As for the 3g change, anywhere that is already transmitting on 850mhz is ALREADY broadcasting 2g/EDGE/3G on 850mhz, I'm not expecting much coverage change in those cases! As for the 1900 band, I also don't expect much change if that is already what some are using now for 2g/EDGE/3G.

I'm not really expecting any, I think the only ones that are going to root the problem out of AT&T is going to be the Software Engineers for the Cam Manufactures. As for the 3g change, anywhere that is already transmitting on 850mhz is ALREADY broadcasting 2g/EDGE/3G on 850mhz, I'm not expecting much coverage change in those cases! As for the 1900 band, I also don't expect much change if that is already what some are using now for 2g/EDGE/3G.

Several sources on the internet have said that AT&T will drop 2G in favor of 3G and drop 850 Mhz in favor of 1900 Mhz come January 2017. Do any current game cameras us 3G? They also say that there will be a drop in transmission power. From what to what I don't know. I do know that, all other things being equal, 850 Mhz will transmit much father than 1900 Mhz. But 1900 Mhz can carry something like 5X the amount of data, per unit of time, of 850 Mhz. (more data, more profit for AT&T)

But, maybe different sources will say something different. It is hard to get a straight and easily understood answer on this stuff.

Mike
Are these guys telling the truth?
http://www.alarmrelay.com/2g-3g-4g-what-changes-are-coming-in-alarm-monitoring-technology/

http://www.dealerbusinessjournal.com/articleview.php?id=852-23118

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Will-Sunset-2G-3G-Network-By-2021-121589

http://www.fieldtechnologiesonline.com/doc/m-m-the-transition-from-g-to-g-0001

Maybe what we're seeing on this thread is that AT&T is cutting out 2G email now. And It sounds like mms/sms 2G will slowly get worse as the 2017 date approaches.

It would be nice if the cellular circuits in game cameras were modular making it easy to swap to a 3G module!

Mike
By mattpatt

Several sources on the internet have said that AT&T will drop 2G in favor of 3G and drop 850 Mhz in favor of 1900 Mhz come January 2017. Do any current game cameras us 3G? They also say that there will be a drop in transmission power. From what to what I don't know. I do know that, all other things being equal, 850 Mhz will transmit much father than 1900 Mhz. But 1900 Mhz can carry something like 5X the amount of data, per unit of time, of 850 Mhz. (more data, more profit for AT&T)

But, maybe different sources will say something different. It is hard to get a straight and easily understood answer on this stuff.

Mike

Mike,

Several companies are coming out with 3G cams this year. It would be nice If existing cams could be retrofitted but I doubt it. I have four of these things that will be reduced to regular trail cams not to mention my GSM controllers. I better start saving now!
hay...here in europe slovenia we have 2g,3g,4gltl and for 3g,4g is very poor signal in the woods. there where I have my code black is only 2g service with 3-4 bars . 3g,4g 0 bars no signal.
so I dont like idea of 3g or 4gltl signal. :evil:
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Does anyone know when AT&T will stop accepting texts from the cameras?
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Does anyone know when AT&T will stop accepting texts from the cameras?

Sometime between now and 31 dec 2016. Unless of course you can buy a 3G game camera.
Mike
Thanks. Are the new Acorns 3G?
It would be nice if the cellular circuits in game cameras were modular making it easy to swap to a 3G module!

Mike

Mike, go page 22 of the 6210 manual where they briefly mention an mms module:

http://stuntcams.com/shop/resources/ltl ... Manual.pdf

Wonder what they mean? Do they plan for a future 3G module?
Mike
By mattpatt
On my ltl acorn 5210mm the MMS module is separate from the actual camera. The camera opens up like a clam shell and the back part of it is the actually mms module and the front part is the camera. I think this is what they are talking about. I could see where you may be able to just replace the back half with another that supports 3G.
On my ltl acorn 5210mm the MMS module is separate from the actual camera. The camera opens up like a clam shell and the back part of it is the actually mms module and the front part is the camera. I think this is what they are talking about. I could see where you may be able to just replace the back half with another that supports 3G.

Can someone pose that question to the maker of the ltl Acorn?
Mike

A beautiful set of healthy looking twins! https:/[…]

Creek crossing

A video before rain raised the water level. The s[…]

I hooked the new camera up to a 9 amp/hr SLA and l[…]

what I found always works for me... lay the SD ca[…]