Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By bowhtr1
I have it up and running. Working perfectly. The real test will be tomorrow when it goes out in the woods. I see they have a better seal area with different latches on the cam. Not sure about these plastic latches but time will tell. They fixed the battery pop out issue. (very tight fit) So far I am happy. I am wondering about this fresnal lens location. This has the set back lens like the one I had that missed 50% of the action compaired to my other cams. Will have to test this out with my black 60 next to it. I have the sensor on high which according to the menu is for 80 plus deg temps. :? Going to play with the codes now to see if they all work. :)
Last edited by bowhtr1 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
By LibbyLA
Looks like you've be the first one of us to have a camera in the field. Looking forward to your followup posts.
By NantucketShedHunter
Will that camera text and e-mail the picture or just e-mail it?
By C.A.M.O.
Looks like you've be the first one of us to have a camera in the field. Looking forward to your followup posts.
I have three Covert 3G's out now for three plus weeks, and they are working very well. :D

Rick! :D
By bowhtr1
Will that camera text and e-mail the picture or just e-mail it?

I only send text but it will do both for a price of a data plan (email). I just text and when I want to keep one I send it to my email. I didnt like deleting all those pics in two spots.
By NantucketShedHunter
Okay, thanks. I thought I read somewhere that the new Coverts will not text and e-mail the pictures both at the same time.
By bowhtr1
I have three Covert 3G's out now for three plus weeks, and they are working very well. :D

Rick! :D

Thanks Camo thats good to know. My woods area is iffiy on signal so i cant wait to see how the 3g works compaired to the 2013 model.
By bowhtr1
Okay, thanks. I thought I read somewhere that the new Coverts will not text and e-mail the pictures both at the same time.

Im sorry I dont think it will do both at the same time but it will do both. I just set it up and remember it saying phone or email. I didnt see both on it. Didnt pay much attention because I only wanted phone.
By NantucketShedHunter
That's a deal breaker for me with the new Coverts. My Acorn e-mails and texts the pictures both at the same time.
By LibbyLA
NTSH,

>> deal breaker

It's probably going to be the same situation with any 3G camera, and you'll have to get one eventually. There is a work-around, though!

You can sent to either phone or email but not both. However, Gforce told me about an Android app called PhoneLeash that I have set to automagically forward messages I receive from the game camera to the email account we have been using with our 2013 Code Black. I have only done a little testing, but it seems to work so far and it's easy to turn it on or off.

As Sovasovik pointed out, it will use a message or data if you are charged for text or data (IOW, not on an unlimited plan, or at least one with a generous allowance) if you're not on wifi. That's not a problem for me because the times I'm most likely to get a boatload of messages are times when my phone will be on the charger at home at night and it will use wifi, but it may be a consideration for some people.

OTOH, sending to one phone (rather than phone and email) means that the photo is sent once, which means the camera is ready to take photos again sooner.

There are probably other apps that will work just as well. I tried one that didn't seem to work but that may have been because I didn't realize it had to be switched on after I set it up. I just haven't gone back to see because PhoneLeash works.

CAM-O,

Are your cameras in a crappy signal area, by any chance? Have you noticed any difference between these cameras and the earlier models as far as performance goes?
By NantucketShedHunter
Thanks Libby. I think I remember hearing you Covert MMS cam owners saying the pictures take 2-4 min to send? That seems like an awfully long time. I get pictures from my Acorn cam in 10 to 20 seconds even in low signal areas.
By LibbyLA
NTSH,

The Covert materials say that the camera takes a minute to send one photo so you can't set the trigger interval to less than 1 minute if you are using MMS. (Well, you can, but it won't do any good.) And it's one minute for EACH phone number or address since it has to send the photo, so two minutes for one phone/one email, etc.
By Gforce
Also to add to what LibbyLA said, if you have data on the sim you can still send an mms to the phone and to an email account at the same time. You just have to select the "sent to" email option in setup, and add the email address for the MMS server for your Cell provider and it will send it to your Cell Phone as a MMS. The other email addresses you add will go to email.

Here is an example for Verizon Phones ..... Yourphonenumber@vzwpix.com , this will send email to the verizon MMS server which will convert it to MMS and send it to your phone as a MMS.

If you don't have data on the sim you can still send to both email and phone with the work around LibbyLA spoke of.

We are working on other solutions also, so stand by! :mrgreen:
By LibbyLA
Gforce,

Maybe once those of us with these cameras have figured out the various workarounds and such, we can put together an FAQ post or thread for the main forum.

Hope someone has their camera(s) on a data plan and can test sending to email and having phone control over the camera. I think that will work but I don't have a way to test it.
By johnnydeerhunter
I am wondering about this fresnal lens location. This has the set back lens like the one I had that missed 50% of the action compaired to my other cams.

The fresnel lens location shouldn't keep the camera from detecting unless it's severely off center. Being closer to or farther away from the pir will increase or decrease detection width and will have some bearing on detection distance. Generally the narrower the detection width the better your distance should be.
Fox takes a L**k

:mrgreen: Uncensored Nature. Female you think ?[…]

Ridgetec Lookout - Bear

What kind of bear is this? Its in the Rockies in […]

Is he carrying something in his mouth? also the w[…]

5 Nice Bucks + -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LHe1JIuuGQ