Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By RR_Security
Given the different voltages and capacity (mAh) of alkaline, Lithium Iron Disulfide (Li-FeS2; Energizer L91's), and NiMH AA's, I was trying to figure out just what that selector switch does. I know Reconyx HyperFire cams (at least the SM750 and SC950) have a menu choice for whether you're using NiMH or Lithium in a cam. (Reconyx just flat recommends against using alkalines in any high-flash-output cam, especially an MMS cam.)

We know alkaline and lithium are nominally 1.5 volts, although lithium can read 1.7V or higher when new. NiMHs are nominally 1.2 volts, but can show 1.4 volts or higher when right off the charger. Capacity (mAh) for the three chemistries is around 1,800-2,800 (alk.); 2,500-3.400 (lith.); and 800-2,700 (NiMH). [From Table 3 here: <http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/choices_of_primary_batteries>.)

I dunno if that makes the characteristics of lithiums closer to alkaline or to NiMH as far as setting that selector switch. :?
From the graphs here <http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?367081-Comparison-of-AA-battery-chemistries>, it looks like NiMHs are actually closer to lithium than to alkaline at high current draw. (Like when a flash array goes off.) Rebbie, I think you might be on to something. 8)
By rebbie
All I know is that I had the same issue as you at first. No problem since I moved the switch to the Ni-MH position. Lithium batteries will cause the blinking red light issue if the battery position is left in the AA position.

I would try this first.....it worked for rebbie and if it works for you...ain't no sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Not going to buy Lithium batteries. I will put my Tenergy rechargeable batteries in and only use them since they seem to work. Got my second Code Black 3g in today. Will set it up soon.

OK Tim let us know how you make out. I did email Covert telling them about my blinking red light issues and how I resolved it by switching the battery switch to the Ni-MH position when using Energizer Ultimate Lithium Batteries. All they said is that they have only used rechargeable batteries with the switch in the Ni-MH mode and have gotten really good battery life.
Tim I am sure your rechargeable batteries will work fine but I recommend trying the Lithium batteries someday. They last forever! Good luck.
By bowhtr1
I just cant go get Lithiums when I have all this money tied up in Tenergy rechargeables. I know they will work better than my rechargeables. :? I have both of my new cams working now. One with rechargeables showing 3/4 battery on the cam lcd. It is set for rechargeables also. These just came off the charger. It shows 7 on the pics its sending me. I thought maybe the switch changed the readings between the different batteries. ????
The other one has alkaline batteries in it and shows full charge on the cam lcd and an 8 on the pics it sends me. Both are working great with 500 code working eveytime. They are in my bedroom and my wife keeps walking by so I am spying on her. Not really she knows they are there. The red light issue has gone for now. You know what they say "anything that goes away by itself can come back by itself" keep my fingers crossed. Monday they go in the field with power panel in place.
Tim, I wouldn't worry to much about not using lithium. The only advantage I see to them is that they will last longer between changes and the advantage (mainly cost) to using nimh is a big plus in my book. I've also heard horror stories of buying lithium in bulk and getting bad cells here and there. I'm sure this could happen with nimh but normally if you are using a quality charger it will let you know if you have a bad cell before you deploy the camera for a month only to find out it stopped working a day or so into it. Although with the mms cams you have a pretty good idea if it's working or not but if the cam isn't close you still have an issue. I can't speak for ultra cold temps and the batteries but I have no problems in the single digit temps we get here in the winters using nimh.

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing can be resolved with a programming update. This reminds me of when I soldered up some addon boards that plugged into the SSII controller. My test build worked fine, made one for a friend to try out (Jim Vokes) and his works fine then sent another to Joey to run through it's paces. His started resetting and blinking the walktest light after a series of 6-8 pics but only when on trail mode, feeder was fine. Went through mine again and it worked fine. We spent days going through programming changes trying to find the issue. Moving resistor legs and wires in case they were causing interference with the chip. I would be at work and make a change, send the change to Joey, he would program it into his board and run some tests, hours and hours of testing to find the problem. The kicker was my board and Jim's worked flawlessly but Joeys did not. Finally we looked at the picaxe chip and found the problem, the original chip was an 08M, mine and Jim's was a 14M (a direct replacement according to picaxe) Joeys was a 14M2 (again a direct replacement according to picaxe). Well from the 08M to the 14M2 there was a slight change in how the pin legs were labeled and that was causing the problem, but only sometimes. My point is that even with all the testing either factory and prostaff some of these problems may not be discovered until the consumer gets them or even show until a new batch is manufactured with a different but supposedly identical part. Now a more experienced builder/programmer probably would have caught this long before I did (I know just enough to be dangerous) but I can see how these things can slip through the cracks especially when a manufacturer is trying to get a product to the consumer as fast as they possibly can.

*Disclaimer before the witch hunters say I am defending a particular camera manufacturer I will say I am not, just pointing how it could happen and slip through the cracks.
By bowhtr1
Tim, I wouldn't worry to much about not using lithium. The only advantage I see to them is that they will last longer between changes and the advantage (mainly cost) to using nimh is a big plus in my book. I've also heard horror stories of buying lithium in bulk and getting bad cells here and there. I'm sure this could happen with nimh but normally if you are using a quality charger it will let you know if you have a bad cell before you deploy the camera for a month only to find out it stopped working a day or so into it. Although with the mms cams you have a pretty good idea if it's working or not but if the cam isn't close you still have an issue. I can't speak for ultra cold temps and the batteries but I have no problems in the single digit temps we get here in the winters using nimh.

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing can be resolved with a programming update. This reminds me of when I soldered up some addon boards that plugged into the SSII controller. My test build worked fine, made one for a friend to try out (Jim Vokes) and his works fine then sent another to Joey to run through it's paces. His started resetting and blinking the walktest light after a series of 6-8 pics but only when on trail mode, feeder was fine. Went through mine again and it worked fine. We spent days going through programming changes trying to find the issue. Moving resistor legs and wires in case they were causing interference with the chip. I would be at work and make a change, send the change to Joey, he would program it into his board and run some tests, hours and hours of testing to find the problem. The kicker was my board and Jim's worked flawlessly but Joeys did not. Finally we looked at the picaxe chip and found the problem, the original chip was an 08M, mine and Jim's was a 14M (a direct replacement according to picaxe) Joeys was a 14M2 (again a direct replacement according to picaxe). Well from the 08M to the 14M2 there was a slight change in how the pin legs were labeled and that was causing the problem, but only sometimes. My point is that even with all the testing either factory and prostaff some of these problems may not be discovered until the consumer gets them or even show until a new batch is manufactured with a different but supposedly identical part. Now a more experienced builder/programmer probably would have caught this long before I did (I know just enough to be dangerous) but I can see how these things can slip through the cracks especially when a manufacturer is trying to get a product to the consumer as fast as they possibly can.

*Disclaimer before the witch hunters say I am defending a particular camera manufacturer I will say I am not, just pointing how it could happen and slip through the cracks.

Thanks for the info. You are right about some things getting through the cracks and when you find them you may have a thousand or more already produced and packaged. The problem is when a company knows about an issue and fails to change anything. Not talking about the issues with this cam because I think they tried to fix all the issues.
By bowhtr1
I have two cams out now with the stock antenna. Shows 3 bars signal (H ATT) They seem to go off line during the day and come back on at night. I am thinking its an ATT issue will have to look closer at them today when they stop sending. I will check my account and call ATT like Libby did, to see whats up. I plan on going out there today to see what they are doing when down and what kind of signal I am getting. Also bringing a booster antenna with me.
I sent a text message " keep working" to one of my cams twice to see if that might mess it up. I got a invalid command response. They sent pics all last night.
Still getting transition whiteouts and double pics at times.
By bowhtr1
Sent an email to Covert Tuesday with no responce yet so I sent another one today. Hope to get RA numbers to send both of mine back for replacement. Was holding out hoping things would get solved before sending them in. :(
1st Buck on camera for 2019

Its that time of the year....

:)

not sure if its true but if so its a good one.

I like his purple coat... very cool. Probably[…]

Bucks Stayed Home Last Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm6Bxuox2EI