Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By bowhtr1
Tim,

Check the timestamps on your double pics. I think you'll find that they are different, so it's not a case of the same photo being sent both 3G and 2G.

I've had one #500# fail, one more with two photos, and three with one photo. The last three are whiteouts <sigh>. (I am documenting all #500# photos in a spreadsheet.)

I'm not quite ready to contact Covert yet. I'm trying to collect data first. I will probably either email or talk to them later this week when I have more information to share with them.

Sometimes they are the exact same pic and others are different pics 50 seconds apart. I will call them tomorrow then. Maybe they have a firmware update coming.
By LibbyLA
Our paired photos are running about 70 seconds apart.

Please do call tomorrow. I hope that these things are (will be) fixable with a firmware update.

It's been a long time since I've been a beta tester/early adopter. I'd forgotten how much "fun" it can be (NOT!).

I really, really want this thing to work. I appreciate Covert working to try to make things right after all the problems we had with the 2013 version.

At least we didn't have pigs in the trap at all the last two weeks, although there are three sows making themselves at home on the place. They're looking pregnant, which would make sense. We need to get them gone.
By Gforce
The more we play the more questions come up. If I have mine set for both 3g or 2g I wonder if it is sending both ways but waiting on one to finish then do the other. Just thinking out loud. Gforce, You would think getting the data plan working would not be that hard. I would defiantly call them. If Libby is calling on the two pic thing I will not call yet.
Mine is still working good as far as sending but I have no action in front of the camera. Nothing but water. River is over flood stage covered my food plots.

Well I'm still not sure it's not the SIM, I still haven't let AT&T off the hook yet what with their track record. I do have a backup plan, got another Cam and SIM card that I know works perfectly well. Add a little money to the other SIM account and I can buy data with Pay Go to test this out. I'm still going to call DLC to find out what settings are needed to setup the SMTP. I may as well cover all the bases because this is going to come up again for sure.
By bowhtr1
The more we play the more questions come up. If I have mine set for both 3g or 2g I wonder if it is sending both ways but waiting on one to finish then do the other. Just thinking out loud. Gforce, You would think getting the data plan working would not be that hard. I would defiantly call them. If Libby is calling on the two pic thing I will not call yet.
Mine is still working good as far as sending but I have no action in front of the camera. Nothing but water. River is over flood stage covered my food plots.

Well I'm still not sure it's not the SIM, I still haven't let AT&T off the hook yet what with their track record. I do have a backup plan, got another Cam and SIM card that I know works perfectly well. Add a little money to the other SIM account and I can buy data with Pay Go to test this out. I'm still going to call DLC to find out what settings are needed to setup the SMTP. I may as well cover all the bases because this is going to come up again for sure.

Let us know how it works out.
By bowhtr1
The Good. Went and got my SD card from my cam. Didnt have another SD card with any Code Black info on it so I put a regular 16 gb Sandisk extreme class 10 card in it. Not sure what to expect I waited around and tripped it several times and it didnt miss a beat. 500 code works also. I like the fact I will not need to keep separate cards just for these cams. I also caught me 50 yards from the cam and took my pic.

The Bad. When I opened my cam I had water in the bottom of it. Did not look like it came from the top but it was in the bottom of the case. I know we had plenty of rain but my other cams had none in them including my favorite Black 60 10 yards away from this one. My other Black 60 is in my bedroom as I never put it back out after the last dry out. I wonder if we can get the old metal latches back with this case design. It just needs to be tighter.

My 2013 cams replied back with the 510 code each time. This one always says busy. ??
By Carphunter
dumb question for everyone... when i pulled my cams out of the woods, i noticed any security box that wasn't tilted just right had a wet inner bottom.
I'm wondering if A, we shouldn't drill weep holes in the bottom of the security boxes, and B, would it help to pull the power adapter rubber plug on the bottom of the cam so water could get out if it got in? or...if this is some heat up/cool down condensation effect...might it help that?

I'll post a thread soon as I'm considering sending my cams all in for replacement... but this thread is worrying me that vintage of cam won't matter.... we've got water problems no matter what.
By rebbie
The Good. Went and got my SD card from my cam. Didnt have another SD card with any Code Black info on it so I put a regular 16 gb Sandisk extreme class 10 card in it. Not sure what to expect I waited around and tripped it several times and it didnt miss a beat. 500 code works also. I like the fact I will not need to keep separate cards just for these cams. I also caught me 50 yards from the cam and took my pic.

The Bad. When I opened my cam I had water in the bottom of it. Did not look like it came from the top but it was in the bottom of the case. I know we had plenty of rain but my other cams had none in them including my favorite Black 60 10 yards away from this one. My other Black 60 is in my bedroom as I never put it back out after the last dry out. I wonder if we can get the old metal latches back with this case design. It just needs to be tighter.

My 2013 cams replied back with the 510 code each time. This one always says busy. ??

Not good to hear about the water in your cam. It has not rained yet since I had my camera in the woods. Looks like rain today so I shall see how it holds out. I agree with what you say about the latches. I noticed that the case does not seem to close real tight with the new latches. Time will tell.
By bowhtr1
dumb question for everyone... when i pulled my cams out of the woods, i noticed any security box that wasn't tilted just right had a wet inner bottom.
I'm wondering if A, we shouldn't drill weep holes in the bottom of the security boxes, and B, would it help to pull the power adapter rubber plug on the bottom of the cam so water could get out if it got in? or...if this is some heat up/cool down condensation effect...might it help that?

I'll post a thread soon as I'm considering sending my cams all in for replacement... but this thread is worrying me that vintage of cam won't matter.... we've got water problems no matter what.

Not sure where you live but here I can not pull a plug on the bottom because I would be letting moisture in. Also ants and every small spider would love it not to count the dirt divers. If it is sealed and not leaking it can only condense the moisture inside the cam with temp changes. I have never seen that as a problem with temp change.
I have one security box and don't use it because it is junk. Small lock and very flimsy. Never drilled holes in it. Only used it for about 6 months.
By rebbie
Looks like you've be the first one of us to have a camera in the field. Looking forward to your followup posts.
I have three Covert 3G's out now for three plus weeks, and they are working very well. :D

Rick! :D

Have you had any issues with whiteout photos? Also any issues with water in the bottom of the cam like bowhtr1 descibed?
By LibbyLA
carphunter,

Our security box already has at least one hole in the bottom, for routing the external battery cable. One problem we have not had has been a wet camera. The 2014 hasn't been out in the rain, but the 2013 surely was. This is a heavy-duty bear box. It has a hole in the top for the rubber duck or external antenna cable and we've run an antenna cable and haven't done anything to block water out of the box and away from the camera. We do have a zip tie a few inches up to act as a drip thingie.

Ants did get into the 2013, BIG ants. I shooed them all out then dusted a little ant poison inside the bottom of the case and they didn't come back.
By bowhtr1
Sent email to Covert today because when I called the line was busy and got a response already. I told them about the double pics with no response to that, but I also told them about the whiteouts which they are working on and the latches which they say they know about. Ok, we will wait and see what fix is coming.
By rebbie
Sent email to Covert today because when I called the line was busy and got a response already. I told them about the double pics with no response to that, but I also told them about the whiteouts which they are working on and the latches which they say they know about. Ok, we will wait and see what fix is coming.

The only way they could fix the latches is to have us send our cameras back for new latches or send us a new camera altogether. I hope they decide on what to do before peak trail camera season is here and bucks are in full velvet!

What box doesn't already have holes in the bottom? Every one I've seen has a hole for external battery cable and one for tripod screw.
By rebbie
Just wanted to give you guys an update on my #500# code. It is working every time now, and no double pics. I also noticed today that when I turned the camera off to change the SD card, that the camera acquired the network much faster than usual when I moved the switch back on to setup. Still taking about 1 min and 30 seconds to receive the photo after I walk in front of it. I was thinking about something, right now I have the photo quality set at 5mp. I wonder if I reduce the size of the photo to 3mp that maybe it would transmit the photo faster? I guess the camera has to wake up first, take the photo and then burn it to the SD card before it transmits the photo. Maybe if the photo was a smaller size it would not take as long to burn the photo to the SD card before it transmits it? Just a thought.
By mattpatt
Just wanted to give you guys an update on my #500# code. It is working every time now, and no double pics. I also noticed today that when I turned the camera off to change the SD card, that the camera acquired the network much faster than usual when I moved the switch back on to setup. Still taking about 1 min and 30 seconds to receive the photo after I walk in front of it. I was thinking about something, right now I have the photo quality set at 5mp. I wonder if I reduce the size of the photo to 3mp that maybe it would transmit the photo faster? I guess the camera has to wake up first, take the photo and then burn it to the SD card before it transmits the photo. Maybe if the photo was a smaller size it would not take as long to burn the photo to the SD card before it transmits it? Just a thought.

It will speed things up a bit. I run all my hog trap cams at the 3mp setting.
1st Buck on camera for 2019

Its that time of the year....

:)

not sure if its true but if so its a good one.

I like his purple coat... very cool. Probably[…]

Bucks Stayed Home Last Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm6Bxuox2EI