Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
I'm pretty sure that's the firmware, and the ".bin" (binary) is only to get it onto the SD card and into the camera. It allows some user-changeable options, but all the factory-set stuff like aperture, etc., is in the software.

I think once you go back to an earlier version, and eliminate some stuff that your camera can't use (SMS, etc.), it'll go back to where it was.
no thats only the software for making profile.bin with the parameters you set with the software program. what camera do you have, what version do you run in camera. property details on a picture. you se the version. :-) Before i updated with the fw5210uv.bin i had version v1.38.12 on my pictures. when i upgraded i have v3.00.25.18 on my pictures.
Since dlc and uovision cant help , me i have searhed the internett for a cuple of days now and found a firmware thats get my cam up runing again. Im very disappointed with dlc and uovisions support and wil newer buy a new camera from them again. If some one need help plz pm me and i will help :-)
I would wager that the reason Covert don't provide a lot of firmware is because many people are not familiar with which one is correct how to install it. And when you install different versions for your cameras you make a mess. Just imagine if Covert had firmware for several years and different cameras posted on their website, I would bet the calls to their Customer Service would double. Not singling out the OP but my explanation which is only my opinion is most likely correct.
I would wager that the reason Covert don't provide a lot of firmware is because many people are not familiar with which one is correct how to install it. And when you install different versions for your cameras you make a mess. Just imagine if Covert had firmware for several years and different cameras posted on their website, I would bet the calls to their Customer Service would double. Not singling out the OP but my explanation which is only my opinion is most likely correct.

If Covert would organize their Website better and place each cam on it own support web page along with updates and firmware for that cam, then it wouldn't be confusing. Proper coding would also help, firmware standards of operation coding has always included "Stop Code" where the Firmware Flash checked present operating firmware on the device and if not listed in a compatibility list it would force stop the flash before proceeding. Maybe someone needs to get some Code Builders who know what they are doing!

It's perfectly ok to flash raw when beta testing, but when releasing live Firmware, version check should away be preformed by the software so these problems won't pop up.

If Covert would organize their Website better and place each cam on it own support web page along with updates and firmware for that cam, then it wouldn't be confusing. Proper coding would also help, firmware standards of operation coding has always included "Stop Code" where the Firmware Flash checked present operating firmware on the device and if not listed in a compatibility list it would force stop the flash before proceeding. Maybe someone needs to get some Code Builders who know what they are doing!

It's perfectly ok to flash raw when beta testing, but when releasing live Firmware, version check should away be preformed by the software so these problems won't pop up.

No doubt, but do you know of any trail camera companies that do as you think Covert should do? Realistically speaking, what you are suggesting is unobtainable with the pricing structure on most trail cameras. I don't think anyone honestly think that camera companies on the retail side actively write code for firmware updates, and anyone honestly wouldn't expect the Code Builders in China to care until it affects the bottom line. That is why ALL camera companies replaces the cameras under warranty instead of dealing with firmware updates. It's not an exclusive Covert problem but a system wide problem in the trail camera industry.

Okay so don't put them all on the website. Leave the latest one on the site but SAVE the rest of them so in case something like this happens they can help the customer out. That's all it would have taken in this case. Simply retaining a copy of all the previous firmwares would have solved this problem and turned a bad customer service experience into a good one. Instead they were unable to help and wanted to charge the customer $200 for a new cam.

Matt
I know on Bushnells site they have all firmware back to 2010 with the model number for each camera. So if someone downloads and installs the wrong firmware it is there own fault and not the company. All companies should do the same. Covert should have stated what year/model it was for before hand instead of waiting till the problem occurred and then fix it. I am surprised they didn't replace it seeing they have the best customer service out there.
No doubt, but do you know of any trail camera companies that do as you think Covert should do? Realistically speaking, what you are suggesting is unobtainable with the pricing structure on most trail cameras. I don't think anyone honestly think that camera companies on the retail side actively write code for firmware updates, and anyone honestly wouldn't expect the Code Builders in China to care until it affects the bottom line. That is why ALL camera companies replaces the cameras under warranty instead of dealing with firmware updates.
That's kind of a generalization. Reconyx posts firmware updates on their Support page. They haven't offered an update for RapidFire models since 2011, but that version is still on their site. But it was for all RapidFire cams; Outdoor, Professional, and Security, and not restricted to a certain range of serial numbers. Firmware for HyperFire cams was updated in May, and there was one version for non-cellular cams and one each for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon cams.

Ltl Acorn has a button in their Setup program that takes you to a page with ten different files you can download. Unfortunately, there's not a lot in the file names or the descriptions for the files about what models the various files are for. I think I tried V1.2.027 in one of my 5210MMs, but that's for the SMS-capable ones. It didn't seem to harm anything, but I went back to V1.2.025.
At least they're .RAR (compressed) downloads, and there might be a readme (.txt) file included that gives a little more information.

I would wager that the reason Covert don't provide a lot of firmware is because many people are not familiar with which one is correct how to install it. And when you install different versions for your cameras you make a mess.
I'd say installing "incorrect" rather than "different" versions can make a mess.
Installation is easy, maybe too easy. For most cams, the method is put the file on a memory card, insert the card in the camera, and switch the camera on. For Ltl Acorn, you have told hold down the OKAY button while throwing the switch to "Test," and then wait until the display says it accepted the change. But yeah, if there are any cams that should not get the new firmware, that should be prominently posted on the page.

Okay so don't put them all on the website. Leave the latest one on the site but SAVE the rest of them so in case something like this happens they can help the customer out. That's all it would have taken in this case.
What tbone303 said. At least have some kind of warning about "only for use in XYZ-60 cameras with serial numbers ####### and above."
Someone could still find a way to mess it up, but I'll bet it would cut down on the problems going on now.
Well in any case the problem seems to be fixed thanks to somebody leaking the Firmware. If Covert leaked it, then thank you for helping, if not a big thanks goes out to whoever did or the person that wouldn't take no for an answer and kept searching till they found it or found someone that could help.
Last edited by Gforce on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I say we need to create a public share on Dropbox or something similar and start our own repository of present and past firmware
Fox takes a L**k

:mrgreen: Uncensored Nature. Female you think ?[…]

Ridgetec Lookout - Bear

What kind of bear is this? Its in the Rockies in […]

Is he carrying something in his mouth? also the w[…]

5 Nice Bucks + -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LHe1JIuuGQ