Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By dbaxter
Thinking about getting a cell cam (Spartan?). I know absolutely nothing about these things. I do not have a Smart phone (and don't want one). I use a cheap Tracfone cell phone that costs me $20 every 90 days. On average I receive about 1 text every 3-4 days. I send about 1 text every other year. Do you have to have a Smart phone to operate these cams? Can you do all of the settings from a computer? Will they send pics to a regular cell phone and to an email address? After purchasing the cam how much does it cost per month? I can usually make phone calls (remember those?) from my hunting property. My cell phone is 3G (whatever that means) and I usually have 1 or 2 bars signal strength. I have no idea what a sim card is or what its supposed to do. I have no idea what you are talking about when you say MMS, data plan, GSM, GoPhone, or any other of the acronyms you guys (& gal) use. I don't do Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or any other "Social media". Should I even pursue this?

Thanx,
David
By Gforce
Smart Phone not needed, only an email address and computer connected to Internet. The big choice is what GoCam to get, the Verizon or AT&T version?

AT&T is the cheapest to operate and is preferred, but you will need usable AT&T signal where you plan to place the Cell Cam, same goes for Verizon Cell Cam. The Verizon Cell Cam cost 3 times as much to operate, that is the reason the AT&T GoGam is preferred.

Everything can be setup manually on the Cam to sent to email, or you can choose to use the HCO service portal by accessing it over the Internet, which gives you remote control of the Cell Cam and more options for control.
By Mjn1979
Ditto what g force said. The at&t camera will cost you 25 bucks every 3 months. It includes 1 gb data which I believe would be approximately 20k photos if sending low rez photos. They are actually fairly easy to setup. Good luck
By NantucketShedHunter
You came to the right place for help setting up a cellular camera. I recently bought an HCO Spartan GoCam. Took 2 seconds to set it up and have it sending pictures to my phone and e-mail. Go to HCO's website and read all the tutorials on their GoCam.
By LibbyLA
Thinking about getting a cell cam (Spartan?). I know absolutely nothing about these things. I do not have a Smart phone (and don't want one). I use a cheap Tracfone cell phone that costs me $20 every 90 days. On average I receive about 1 text every 3-4 days. I send about 1 text every other year. Do you have to have a Smart phone to operate these cams? Can you do all of the settings from a computer? Will they send pics to a regular cell phone and to an email address? After purchasing the cam how much does it cost per month? I can usually make phone calls (remember those?) from my hunting property. My cell phone is 3G (whatever that means) and I usually have 1 or 2 bars signal strength. I have no idea what a sim card is or what its supposed to do. I have no idea what you are talking about when you say MMS, data plan, GSM, GoPhone, or any other of the acronyms you guys (& gal) use. I don't do Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or any other "Social media". Should I even pursue this?

Thanx,
David

David,

You can use a GoCam (or the Spartan SR1) as a plain cellular camera without the bells and whistles of the app or portal. It won't be nearly as easy or as fun, but since you don't have a smart phone and don't want to get one (which I can understand!), you won't know the difference.

You don't do any of the settings from the computer, although you can if you use premium service and the web portal. You can do that without having the app and it makes it easy to set the camera or view all the photos in one place, but you don't have to.

You will have to send messages to your phone using your phone's email address, which is in the form your_phone_number@your_cell_company (e.g., 5555551212@vzwpix.com for a Verizon cell phone).

The SIM card is what gives your phone its phone number and access to the cellular network. The GoCams come with a SIM card for the carrier you choose. Not sure about the SR1s.

These cameras do not send text messages, but they do send email (again, in the form of your cell number, see above). If you don't have premium service, you will send commands using basic text commands. (I was going to say that there are apps that let you program commands so you just tap a choice to send a command, but you aren't using a smart phone so that won't apply. However, you'll send text commands and your phone will probably get "smart" about anticipating a command and you'll be able to pick one that you've already typed before.)

Why are you considering getting a cell camera? Knowing that might help us give you better advice.
By LibbyLA
I forgot to mention that when you set up a Spartan, you can set all the basic settings on the camera itself. You do not have to run a program on the computer to copy settings to an SD card, then put that SD card in the camera to change the settings like you do with the Coverts. It is tedious to enter some things using the camera, but it it doable.
By bobcat

David,

These cameras do not send text messages, but they do send email (again, in the form of your cell number, see above).

These cams can't send a photo via text to a IPhone?
By code1
They don't send text same way the old 2G models worked. That said you can still receive your pics by text as the camera sends data to sever, then it will text your phone. I know sounds crazy but it works.

That said I'm a huge fan of the premium account and mobile app! I will never have text sent again I'm 100% mobile app the whole way forward. This was a huge change for me I've been getting Cellular Trail cam text for over 5 years now and have over a dozen cellular cams now in use. The Iphone mobile app is slick and way less annoying if you run busy cell cams!

With one camera maybe "text" would be OK. But with several cams the mobile app really shines and the 1280 pictures are way nicer than 640.
Last edited by code1 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By johnnydeerhunter

These cams can't send a photo via text to a IPhone?

The simple answer is YES they can.
By bobcat
The only reason I would need it to send text is for security. In other words a notification immediately. Can the Mobile app be setup to send a alert ? Remember this would be watching a gate and not wildlife.
By code1
The Mobil app alerts you when a pic arrives by banner posting banner/banners on your IPhone home screen which you can see. That said there's no "beep" from a text.

Most of the time I look at my phone and seen Go ***** pop up letting me known pic/pics have arrived. I then go app and view.

Most of my pics come at night and we have home wifi so the app uses wifi to download pics saving iPhone data plan (I have old ATT unlimited data not a big deal for me). You can set the iPhone only to down load on wifi if you choose to not use iPhone data.

My wife also likes the fact my phone isn't going crazy with a 100+ text a day! To be honest I didn't think I would like the app. Two days of using it I was sold !
By ilovemycam
The GoWireless Auto will start supporting 1280X960 as well. The firmware update is coming.

They don't send text same way the old 2G models worked. That said you can still receive your pics by text as the camera sends data to sever, then it will text your phone. I know sounds crazy but it works.

That said I'm a huge fan of the premium account and mobile app! I will never have text sent again I'm 100% mobile app the whole way forward. This was a huge change for me I've been getting Cellular Trail cam text for over 5 years now and have over a dozen cellular cams now in use. The Iphone mobile app is slick and way less annoying if you run busy cell cams!

With one camera maybe "text" would be OK. But with several cams the mobile app really shines and the 1280 pictures are way nicer than 640.
By LibbyLA
Okay, some folks seem to be missing the fact that he doesn't have a smart phone, doesn't need a smart phone, and doesn't want a smart phone (not to mention the extra expense of buying a smart phone and paying extra every month for one).

As anyone who has been here very long knows, I'm a HUGE fan of the app, can't imagine trying to manage 10 cameras without it. However, the wonderfulness of the app probably does not justify all the extra expense to get a phone that can run it.

Off my soapbox....

bobcat, as for the picture on your phone thing, yes, you can get a picture on your phone. Technically, it does not come as a typical MMS (text), it comes as an email addressed to your phone number (using data), but that's behind the scenes. The end result is the same, a picture on your phone. You will not be able to run the app on your smart phone so you'll have to use this camera as if it were the old fashion texting cell phone. It will work that way and if you ever do get a smart phone, you'll be able to use the app.
By LibbyLA
And since a couple of people mentioned how much they like the app, I also like using the web portal. Updated firmware in all 10 cameras without having to lay a hand on them. I like how there are fairly frequent updates (at this stage of the game mostly for improvements rather than bug fixes) rather than getting only one or two, when the problems are so bad they have to issue them, and it's a PITA to install them.
By bobcat

bobcat, as for the picture on your phone thing, yes, you can get a picture on your phone. Technically, it does not come as a typical MMS (text), it comes as an email addressed to your phone number (using data), but that's behind the scenes. The end result is the same, a picture on your phone. You will not be able to run the app on your smart phone so you'll have to use this camera as if it were the old fashion texting cell phone. It will work that way and if you ever do get a smart phone, you'll be able to use the app.

I do have a smartphone. A iPhone 6
Late season bait station

2019-10-19-1.jpg Moose likes my feeder.

Yotes on the move.

Just 5 I think. The old recon only has 10 s at nig[…]

Cold Turkey

https://vimeo.com/374000955

Spartan 3G finally quit

Mike it's simple enough to get a new SD card for t[…]