Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By Gforce
The thing is, you can still use the web portal from a computer and take advantage of the portal service and then send to a basic phone, smart Phone, or email address, or all of them at once. I like the App for the smart phone but I use the web portal about 90% of the time instead of the App for the smart phone. Maybe it just because I happen to be sitting in front of the computer at the time. The good news is it all works well and it's the future of Trail Cams, may as well dive in! :mrgreen:
By LibbyLA
bobcat, sorry got you mixed up with dbaxter, who does not have a smart phone. If you have a smart phone, then you use the app and you get pictures in the app, not as text (as long as you have premium service, if you don't have premium then you get them via the email thing, but you do get a picture on your phone).

Web portal is definitely nice. Even though I'm at my computer most of the time, I use my phone, but I'm not looking at many pics or changing settings much. I even use the web portal from my phone sometimes.
By T-post
David,

The short sweet answer is you'll need to determine if there's an AT&T service (signal) where you want to use the camera; if there is, buy a Spartan GoCam for AT&T.
There is a Verizon version of this camera, but it cost more to operate.

You'll spend about $25 with AT&T every three months (comes out to about $8 a month). Quit anytime you want, there's no contract or obligation.

I HIGHLY recommend that you ALSO spend $3 a month with HCO for their "Premium Service" (Premium service is even cheaper that $3 if you buy 12 months at a time).

The HCO Premium Service will allow you to do many, many cool things! To keep my explaination simple, I'll just say that HCO Premium Service will give you a password to your very own personal website (web portal) where you can view your pictures from your computer. Additionally, you can have pictures sent to your email and/or "texted" to your phone. In your case, I think you'd find it easiest to just go to your personal web portal and view the pictures on your computer.....just as you would check in to Chasingame to see what's happening.

I've tried to bare my explaination down to just the basics, as you'll become familar with all the other cool features after you become a user.

Pat Murphy
By LibbyLA
One tiny correction to what Pat says. The least expensive price for premium is $3/month (if he's getting it for less than that, he's getting a really special deal), if you buy 12 or more months at a time. I think the most expensive is $4/month but I'm not positive. We're running so many cameras that buying it by the twenties or thirties makes sense for us. Probably going to be adding another camera to the stable because we had more trespassers last weekend and we need a second camera at a different angle at that location.
By dbaxter
David,

The short sweet answer is you'll need to determine if there's an AT&T service (signal) where you want to use the camera; if there is, buy a Spartan GoCam for AT&T.
There is a Verizon version of this camera, but it cost more to operate.

You'll spend about $25 with AT&T every three months (comes out to about $8 a month). Quit anytime you want, there's no contract or obligation.

I HIGHLY recommend that you ALSO spend $3 a month with HCO for their "Premium Service" (Premium service is even cheaper that $3 if you buy 12 months at a time).

The HCO Premium Service will allow you to do many, many cool things! To keep my explaination simple, I'll just say that HCO Premium Service will give you a password to your very own personal website (web portal) where you can view your pictures from your computer. Additionally, you can have pictures sent to your email and/or "texted" to your phone. In your case, I think you'd find it easiest to just go to your personal web portal and view the pictures on your computer.....just as you would check in to Chasingame to see what's happening.

I've tried to bare my explaination down to just the basics, as you'll become familar with all the other cool features after you become a user.

Pat Murphy

Thank You Pat (T-post). You answered my question perfectly.
Thanks to everybody else too.

I have been told that my cell phone is AT&T but there is NOTHING on the phone indicating this. How can I know for sure?
Also, can the Spartan do video? Can it send videos? Can it save videos to the SD card and just send pics to your cell phone & email? How long do batts last in a low traffic area?

LibbyLA wrote:
Why are you considering getting a cell camera? Knowing that might help us give you better advice.

During hunting season I would like to monitor an area that I do not want to disturb until the time is right.
During the off season I would just like to monitor wildlife in my backyard IE: get a pic when a coyote is 60 yds from my back door.

Thanks again,
David
By LibbyLA
David,

I found this:

http://www.preprepaid.com/whichtracfonecarrier.php

but I don't know if that will help you. Maybe just call customer service and ask?

The Spartans can do video, but that's only if you are using it as a regular ol' non-cell trail camera. It cannot send video (nor would you want it to, that would really eat a lot of bandwidth, would be slow for video, and would take a lot of time that you camera would not be able to take more pics). It cannot take both pictures and video. If you want to get pics to your phone, you must use it in photo mode.

Battery life depends. It will be longer if you are in a good signal area, shorter if you are in a not-so-good signal area. It's pretty easy to rig things to use small 6V batteries (NSH uses the little 4.5 Ah batteries, we use 7-12 mAh batteries).

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43524

You'll just have to experiment with the batteries in your situation. Get some good rechargeables (Amazon has some 2750 mAh low self-discharge ones that we use).
By johnnydeerhunter

I have been told that my cell phone is AT&T but there is NOTHING on the phone indicating this. How can I know for sure?

There should be a way to check, maybe if you turn it off and back on it might say. Remember too that your cell phone doesn't have to be the same carrier as your camera, they are totally separate from one another. Sometimes if you scroll through your contacts in the beginning it has the numbers for the carrier or service center.

Go for it Dave, you won't regret it. :D

Pat

X2
By dbaxter
Johnnydeerhunter wrote:
There should be a way to check, maybe if you turn it off and back on it might say. Remember too that your cell phone doesn't have to be the same carrier as your camera, they are totally separate from one another. Sometimes if you scroll through your contacts in the beginning it has the numbers for the carrier or service center.

Tried the off/on = nope. Looked at all of the places= nothing. I just wanted to know for sure because whatever carrier my cell phone uses does get a good signal at my hunting property. I'm pretty sure it is AT&T.

Man! I wish there was a way to save video to the card & send pic to email as I am a total video guy. I also wish it had a faster trigger speed as I was planning on deploying it on trails. Hunting season ends this weekend so I will probably wait until closer to next fall. Maybe they'll be doing 8G by then :lol: . Thanks for all of your help! :D

David
By Gforce
I don't think you will get video on these cams over cell. For one thing it would be a battery and data eater that would fast run the cost of operation up. If money is no issue then it could be done through 4G Wireless Security Cameras, Solar source charging, and Battery banks.

Here is one High Tech solution from Verizon.

http://tacticalvideo.com/solution-overview.php
By Roscoe
David, it's fast enough for trails. Just aim more down the trails like we use to have to do when cams had really really slow triggers. :mrgreen:

From a motion blur perspective, your going to like that better than side on shots of most likely moving animals anyway. Get the BF model. Deer won't likely see its flash even walking pretty much straight at it.
By johnnydeerhunter
I've actually put tape on the sides on the sensor sometimes to avoid the just head pics.

Anthony, Thanks for your tolerance. My company's […]

It’s good to see they are selling well this […]

The thing about using LiFePo4 or LiPo batteries is[…]

Cold fox

:D :D :D I needed that.