Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By mattpatt
My oldest battery pack finally bit the dust last week. After 5 years of almost continuous use the plastic that covers that solar panel had become cloudy and cracked allowing water to penetrate. It does not work any more so I took it down yesterday with plans to rebuild it with another panel.

Matt
By 27jr
I made 2 backup battery packs using a plastic PLANO ammo holder (4.87) and Sonic 6v 12AH Rechargeable batter (17.40) for around 22 - 23 dollars not to bad. The cable is from one of Coverts old camera that has the big headset jack. I just cut it off and checked it out by connecting it to the battery to make sure it was 6v and the other end already connects to the camera. Then we were up and running. As you can see I used tight rubber crommets which will keep insects/water out, we had some heavy rain and checked, dry as can be.
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
By rebbie
Looks nice!
By Carphunter
where did you find the grommet?

I've got to repair at least two cables. think I'll end up buying parts separately this time as opposed to custom1. I think amazon's got the f2 battery connectors. eyeballing other options on the cable with barrel connector.

also need to seal my ammo boxes as recently they've really started taking in watter through my cable access hole
By mattpatt
My biggest issue with these external battery packs has been ants and coons! Ants will get into any crack or hole you don't seal up (usually around where the solar panel wires enter the ammo can) and coons will climb up the tree, hang the cable dangling from the bottom of the camera and either pull it out completely or just enough to where it doesn't make good connection. You can tell when this happens as battery indicator on the pics will start going down pretty fast running on just the internal rechargeable. I wish I could figure out a way to keep this from happening.

Matt
By 27jr
where did you find the grommet?

I've got to repair at least two cables. think I'll end up buying parts separately this time as opposed to custom1. I think amazon's got the f2 battery connectors. eyeballing other options on the cable with barrel connector.

also need to seal my ammo boxes as recently they've really started taking in watter through my cable access hole

Carphunter - I got the grommets from Lowes Hardware section.
second question... where did you get the f2 terminal connectors you used? and which wire gauge did you get them for?

Thanks
By 27jr
second question... where did you get the f2 terminal connectors you used? and which wire gauge did you get them for?

Thanks

Bought 10pk Tyco Electronics AMP Female Disconnects 22 -18 also from Lowes
By LibbyLA
In my limited testing, the Amazon Basics 2400 Low Self Discharge have longer life than PowerDriver 2750. Whatever you get, make sure it's Low Self Discharge.
By Carphunter
i've used various old rechargeables with my externals... long as they're not functionally shot... i think they work. i think they pretty much act as a bridge for juice when in line with the external.
reminds me... i was going to go back and test again with no internals and just the external to see if the camera behaves ok.

gotta say, the 36hr externals i got just seem to last forever in my situation. aside from water leakage into my boxes, or bears beating on the box and cabling... they just keep going
The rubber cover for the camera's external power plug says 6V-2A. I noticed the external batteries listed in this thread were quite a bit higher with the amps. I guess if you have been using them and it hasn't hurt your camera it's nothing to worry about.... but I'm a Murphy's Law kind of guy. If it can go wrong with me it will- nevermind what you guys have been doing. Do the internal batteries keep the extra amps from hurting the camera? I don't know a lot just enough to be dangerous. Any thoughts? Insights?
Thanks
By LibbyLA
The voltage is the critical thing, not the Ah. We are running two cameras with 42 Ah batteries and running the rest with 12 Ah. Got one camera that's been out over 9 months on a 12 Ah, sending the larger thumbnails.
By mattpatt
The rubber cover for the camera's external power plug says 6V-2A. I noticed the external batteries listed in this thread were quite a bit higher with the amps. I guess if you have been using them and it hasn't hurt your camera it's nothing to worry about.... but I'm a Murphy's Law kind of guy. If it can go wrong with me it will- nevermind what you guys have been doing. Do the internal batteries keep the extra amps from hurting the camera? I don't know a lot just enough to be dangerous. Any thoughts? Insights?
Thanks

The 6v-2A on the plug is just letting you know that what it's rated for. Basically the camera isn't rated to draw more than 2 amps @ 6 volts. The amp hour (Ah) rating on the battery refers to capacity. The bigger the battery (Ah) the longer the camera will run without it having to be recharged. i.e a 7Ah battery will run down faster than a 12Ah one. As Libby said, as long as the battery you plug into the external plug is a 6V battery it doesn't matter what the Ah rating is. You won't fry your camera. In a nut shell, get the biggest 6v battery you can afford and put it on your camera. :-)

Matt
Lookout issue

Anthony that would be great, I don't know why th[…]

Yuge on my phone but it worked. Very cool shot! Ed[…]

Fawn without its spots

Looks like they still have there round eard, i acc[…]

Boly MG984G-36M Trail Camera

Some regions' BG984G does not work on Molnus yet, […]