Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By rebbie
My 2016 Code Black has been working flawlessly now for a while. It takes a photo every time I walk in front of it and sends it. It also sends a photo every time I request a photo. Whatever the issue was it seems like they fixed it. I feel confident deploying this camera into the woods now. Just waiting on my Lock Box to be built by Custom One before deploying it. I am curious as to how everyone else's 2016 Code Blacks have been working?
By Jake
Mine just sent a pic of a coon. darn things. But yes mine is also working as it should and I'm happy with it. Day/night/ transition pics are coming in very good.

My wife has the app on her phone and gets the pics too and enjoys it.

Brittany@dlccovert is working on a zoom feature for the app and a guest password for someone to just view pics.
Also here is a cut and paste from another conversation.

"We did have some bugs initially. The rename wasn't syncing correctly, but it has been fixed for awhile now. The other issue was the notifications not coming through when they got pictures, which has also been fixed... 99% of the time it's end-user error, though and we're able to help them through it. Other issues have been credit cards declining. For the most part, everything else is golden now. We use the same technology as Spartan Steve. It's http hosting using data technology and it's 1000 times more reliable than the SMS technology and allowed more remote controls over the camera. It's not texting or emails, but 2015 cameras used sms relays instead of texting because when we received mandatory certification from the carriers, we were forced to ONLY use data plans. In return, the app allowed the command code usage again. We're discussing using some type of outside source like twililio to integrate sending to emails and sms texts, but that will cost covert (and in return the customers) a fee per use, which is what we were trying to avoid. I hope this helps and make sense. And Tony email me, please so I can follow up with what's going.
Ok some updates. Me and JohnnyDeerHunter have been playing with the settings on the 2016 Covert Code Black. I shared my login info with him so he can have access to the settings. We tried the Time Lapse setting and it seemed to work fine. Requesting photos seems to work every time. Johnny even played with the Real Time setting with putting it on a delay for realtime. When he put it on a delay and requested a photo it did not send one. He then requested to turn realtime back on and I think he got that photo he had requested earlier when real time turned back on. Also once we started changing the settings the name of the camera appeared in the lower right hand corner of the photo! We then decided to play with the Trigger Interval settings. We first tried it at the standard 30 seconds that Covert recommends. I would stand in front of the camera waving. I did this for a few minutes. We looked at the time stamp on the photos as they came in and we would get the photos about 1 minute and 14 seconds between photos. I called Covert and asked them what the lowest trigger interval should be and the say to keep it at 30 seconds, anything lower and they told me I might not get all the photos. I decided to experiment. I was really worried I might mess my camera up by changing the trigger interval setting since it was working so good. I took the plunge and set it to the lowest, 5 seconds. I stood in front of the camera waving and the photos started coming in. They did seem to be coming in faster. After about 7 minutes or so I went back inside to check on the results. It is raining a lot here today. Johnny texted me right away and said the photos were coming in much faster and everyone was transmitted. I looked at the numbers and the difference between photos was about 53 seconds, We are talking 21 seconds faster! That is a big difference to me for someone that wants to get as many photos as possible as long as there is motion in front of the camera. I can not bait here in NY. Covert was wrong. You can lower the trigger interval from 30 seconds and the camera still works fine and you will get more photos! I Just wanted to give everyone an update.
It makes sense that the photos would arrive faster with a smaller trigger interval (as long as the camera can handle the shorter interval). You changed the interval from 30 seconds to 5 seconds, a decrease of 25 seconds, and your pictures are arriving about 21 seconds faster. Those two numbers are pretty close, and about what I'd expect.

It is highly unlikely that you would damage your camera in any way by setting the trigger interval "too short". If the camera couldn't handle the shorter trigger intervals, it just would miss sending some photos (and maybe even taking some) but that's about it.

Glad your experiment worked :D.
It makes sense that the photos would arrive faster with a smaller trigger interval (as long as the camera can handle the shorter interval). You changed the interval from 30 seconds to 5 seconds, a decrease of 25 seconds, and your pictures are arriving about 21 seconds faster. Those two numbers are pretty close, and about what I'd expect.

It is highly unlikely that you would damage your camera in any way by setting the trigger interval "too short". If the camera couldn't handle the shorter trigger intervals, it just would miss sending some photos (and maybe even taking some) but that's about it.

Glad your experiment worked :D.

Yes I know you have been telling me to try it. I just was worried I would not having a working camera anymore. Lol. Actually Covert told me what you said., It might miss sending photos or maybe miss taking some but it looks like they are wrong so far. We shall see if it continues to work with the lower trigger interval at 5 seconds.
May just take the plunge and upgrade my 2015s with the new firmware. My 2015s are sending very close to 100 percent transmission. That's why I'm somewhat leery of updating.
May just take the plunge and upgrade my 2015s with the new firmware. My 2015s are sending very close to 100 percent transmission. That's why I'm somewhat leery of updating.

I am liking the app way better than getting text messages. Way more control of your camera!
By Jake
Yah app stuff is pretty neat and simple. My wife has it on her phone too and enjoys getting the pics.

That is a neat experiment. I just have mine 55 second delay. Niee to know it works and thanks for taking the time and posting up the info.

I did a few request pics and they all worked. But now I got it on the hour delay so I will request a pic and it comes through a hour later if I remember. But when set to realtime it would send them everytime. I was mainly using it in realtime to show it off to my friends :geek: .

But I been watching cell cams for years and glad i took the plunge. I like the idea ATT is now on board/ certified the cams. Seems like they are all getting easier and more user friendly with time.
I have two 2016 code blacks, the 1st one I received about a month ago went through a one week test at home on my driveway and performed well enough that I deployed it at my farm a 1000 miles away. While setting it up on the farm I had to get Covert on the phone because I could not get it to send a test pic or a pic while standing in front of it waving. They made me do some funky press the right arrow key and reboot and it begun working. Eight days later the camera began sending pics every few minutes and my brand new lithium batteries died. I also have it connected to a Moultrie solar panel battery pack combo. The camera on the app settings says that I have 80% battery life and signal level of 40% but the camera is dead. The 2nd camera is on my driveway and is performing well. The signal level is at 80%. Covert told me that if you leave the remote control setting at real time it becomes a battery hog, so I now have it set at .5h delay. On a side note, all my 2015's are sending pics every few minutes one already sent me the dreaded "low battery" text and I suspect that the rest will be soon to follow.
By Jake
^ Moultrie might be 12volt and Coverts are 6 volt system I think. I would look into that. That could cause some serious issues.

But here is something else Brittany@dlccovert said on Facebook. Sounds interesting.

" Sorry I've been doing 47 things at once. Um so on the battery life, it depends on whether you have your real time command control turned on. It does effect battery life. However we are working with the carriers on a quicker approach that will both save battery life (significantly) and be fast transmission speeds. I'm thinking about two weeks or so for that to be fully migrated. Another cool thing about it is that firmware is automatically pushed to the SD cards. So anytime you go to your camera you can scroll down to the download fw under the sys tab and do it literally from the woods. This is probably my most favorite aspect--especially from a customer service standpoint. ;) "
But now I got it on the hour delay so I will request a pic and it comes through a hour later if I remember. But when set to realtime it would send them everytime.

Any luck with this Jake? I was surprised that it didn't send the pic when the cam checked in on it's scheduled time. I gave it a while to see as well. When I turned Rebbies camera back to real time on I didn't request another pic but got one, I'm assuming from the request I sent hours earlier.

But here is something else Brittany@dlccovert said on Facebook. Sounds interesting.

" Another cool thing about it is that firmware is automatically pushed to the SD cards. So anytime you go to your camera you can scroll down to the download fw under the sys tab and do it literally from the woods. "

That's neat but doesn't really help if the cam is hundreds or thousands of miles away. Still better than having to take another SD card with you though.

I would be hesitant to upgrade any 2015's at this time. I did. My camera will take and send pictures, but does nothing when you send a request for a picture. Covert says they are working on the problem. It must be a pretty serious problem. It's been a couple of weeks now. They asked for a phone number and e-mail and said they would get back with me. No one has gotten back. I contacted them again this last week by their online chat. Response was that they are still working on it. Must be a serious problem.
I bought a Spartan Go Cam. After the setup it has worked like a champ.

It means after that time devices that are 3G only […]

Primos 01 night photo

I still have a couple of those. I liked the produ[…]

primos auto pilot

No, but looks interesting. Love the- just flip a f[…]

Energizer Lithium AA price increase

Hope this doesn't irritate you but just got a text[…]