Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By Roscoe
Just read what is in quotes on another forum:

"Just got off the phone with Covert and I was told they got rid of the HIGH RES option as far as transmitting it to the portal because of how much data it was eating it to people who tried it."

Help me understand this? Right now I believe you guys get 640x480 pics that are probably around 50kb in size. If they move up to a 1280x960 picture being sent, it would be no more than 4 times larger or about 200kb max. The difference in the clarity of the image, especially when you zoom in is unbelievable. If you do the math on their 34,000 pic/$34.99/90 day plan, that's 377 pics per day of the images they are currently transmitting. Who the heck is going to get that many pictures a day. Heck even if you wanted that many, it'd be next to impossible to keep the camera powered up taking that many pictures. Now if they sent the 1280x960, which are no where near the full size image on the SD card, that would equate to about a max of 95 pics per day. That would cover the vast majority of users with no problem. You guys could get some really nice pics sent to you and stay within your data allowance for about $12/month.

So I ask, where's the issue with too much data being used? Best I can tell there isn't one...unless they were trying to send the full size image off the SD card for every picture taken. :lol:
By LibbyLA
I just looked at data usage for the two Spartans we are running with the hi res thumbnails. Two event photos per day, sometimes as many as 8-12 photos a day from them but usually not, some requests for full res photos (5 MP). No good way to count the number of photos on the AT&T because we're over a month into the data cycle and older photos have been purged from the server:

AT&T: 55/90 days, 48 MB data used

VZW: 28 days into a 30 day cycle, .028 G data used

Something isn't adding up on the Coverts. Multiply the above numbers by 10 and you still don't have a huge amount of data usage.
By rebbie
Roscoe yes I noticed the high Res option is gone with the new Covert app update. I think they got rid of it because it was not ready to work yet. Yes I agree with what you said. It would be nice to have and could easily be done. I really believe that they got rid of it because it would not work. Hopefully someday they make the option available again.
So I ask, where's the issue with too much data being used? Best I can tell there isn't one...unless they were trying to send the full size image off the SD card for every picture taken. :lol:

Since covert is buying the data from ATT and handing it out maybe the larger pics is cutting into their profit.
By rebbie
You know how much nicer the hi res pics are because you are running both Code Black & Spartan. Fortunately for Covert, their average user doesn't know what they are missing.

You got that right! No comparison! The hi Res thumbnail photos are just way better! Spartan really knows how to do things right!
Spartan 3G finally quit

Also don't think you'll notice a difference betwee[…]

This buck looks serious

It appears this guy made it thru the first weekend[…]

Yep, he's all business. I really like the microph[…]

Very Nice!