Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By 27jr
I have a 12v 7ah Wildgame connected to my covert camera (5/8 meg 15 min trigger) utilizing the covert 6v/12v adapter. I only receive maybe 1500 photo's during the period Aug - Dec. Do you think the battery would last without a solar panel? This is of course going by your testing.
By 27jr
I'm still hoping he can give an estimate on the 12 7AH battery from Wildgame would last if only taking about 1500 photo's for the year at about 5meg or 8 meg.
Based on this thread and the research done by Pat(T-post) viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43885&sid=92e2e16872ea8c24a5a261216dabdb3c#p343847 that 12v battery when regulated to 6v with the covert adapter should be roughly the equivalent of a 6v 14ah battery. My 6v 12ah batteries have given me 1702 and 1937 pictures before showing any voltage drop. I am running low self discharge rechargeable aa's inside the camera. Based on these results I think you should be fine with that set-up. Just be careful with that covert adapter, a few people are having issues with them.
By LibbyLA
Since JDH gave you an equivalent with 6V, I'll chime in with the one camera whose performance I know. Camera was put out on January 1, last photo it sent this morning was 2189, 6V 12 Ah battery and the voltage is still showing 5.7. The photos are the small thumbnails but I've requested a fair number of full res.

I don't know how long the camera will run on one of those batteries at 5.1V but I'd think it would be a reasonable amount of time. Your camera should do fine on the setup you listed. External batteries are the way to go if they are feasible. Since we've put external batteries on our cell cams, we've hardly touched them in the last seven or eight months. We had one bad cable and a battery or two to swap out, but that has been it.
By 27jr
Johnnydeerhunter and Libby - Thank you all for the feed back and since I changed the ends of that 6v cable for covert special ops auxiliary cable. Will see about using it with a 6v 12 AH rechargeable battery. I found those Sonic batteries at the local battery warehouse for 22 dollars.
By 27jr
Houston we have a problem my one camera with the 12v - 6v Covert adapter connected to 12v battery just burnt my camera. I just sent in for an RMA to covert, hopefully they will replace the camera which is a 2015.
By LibbyLA
That's bad news. So sorry to hear it. This is why we just use 6V batteries. They're small and cheap and no need to use a special cable.
By 27jr
What's a good 6v battery that would last long without solar panel that I can leave for 6 months maybe taking only about 500 - 1000 photos at mainly 5 meg or 8 meg once in awhile? I've seen some Sonic ones battery warehouse that were 6v and a lot of AMPs.
By wewilley
i have a couple 6 volt 12AH over 3 mo. 3100 pictures 2 battery change when battery goes from p5 to p3 next time im out i change the battery last change 1200 pictures a lot of night pictures
By LibbyLA
27jr,

We got whatever was cheapest on ebay. Three or four of our cameras have been running over 7 months, the one with over 2000 pics has been running over 6 months, mostly lower res thumbnails.

Stealthcam has always been pretty good imo when it[…]

And I do have a Spartan also. That will be next on[…]

Ridgetec Lookout Dual is IN

No, a Carrier change requires a sim swap and menu […]

Anthony, your suggestion worked. I dont know wh[…]