Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By Bowhunter1
If I'm understanding how it works correctly, the real time on/off/delay setting and the instant send work independently of each other. "Instant" should mean you get the pics sent to you as they are taken 1 by 1. The real time on/off delay setting gives you the opportunity to execute commands at a specified interval w/o motion triggers occurring and save a bunch of battery life.

Huge difference battery life wise in having a camera come on once every half hour and check for commands as opposed to staying on "hot" all the time.

But, as far as saving battery, if you're not going to have real time on I really don't see much benefit in have the setting as low as .5? What can really be accomplished every 30 minutes that can't be done say every 6 hours. I mean how often do you really need to change settings or request a picture be taken? If your camera decides to start snapping pictures like crazy for whatever reason, all you have to do is send a command with changes and the next time a falsie comes in the command gets executed.

Outside of a purely security setup, I can't see much need to ever have real time on permanently.

Roscoe - your correct but now I have some questions.
If I have SEND MODE - OFF and have REMOTE CONTROL - 4hrs, does that mean the camera will take photos and wait for the 4hrs and when the server pings the camera the camera will send the photo's or does that mean the camera will come on line and take a photo every 4hrs?

The manual doesn't explain what the delay really does.
By 27jr
With Stevie from Covets help she sent me the FW upgrade that took and now my camera is on .03B from .02B. Who would of thought you needed a high gig SD card. Just to make sure while I was out in the field I did a FW download from the server and it came back stating the camera is on the current upgrade.

Now I just need for someone to explain my last question above.
By Roscoe
I cannot answer that. I would think that with send mode off the camera would not send pictures at all. I mean that would make sense to me if for only the reason if you started running low on battery and knew you could not get out to the camera for say a week. Picture transmission is a battery hog, you could turn that off and buy yourself many days of battery life that the camera would take and save pics to card w/o sending them.

I think your just gonna have to play around with and see. :mrgreen:
By 27jr
I cannot answer that. I would think that with send mode off the camera would not send pictures at all. I mean that would make sense to me if for only the reason if you started running low on battery and knew you could not get out to the camera for say a week. Picture transmission is a battery hog, you could turn that off and buy yourself many days of battery life that the camera would take and save pics to card w/o sending them.

I think your just gonna have to play around with and see. :mrgreen:

I'm trying to understand the reason for delay options. I have SEND MODE - INSTANT ( is the only option), it's the REMOTE CONTROL - option I don't understand the reason for delay. How does that help with saving me battery life?, wouldn't SEND MODE - INSTANT drain battery life too?
By 27jr
Roscoe that us my mistake on stating having SEND MODE - OFF when I have it INSTANT.
I have trigger set for 5 mins, SEND MODE - INSTANT and REMOTE CONTROL - OFF at the camera. The only difference is the App I have REMOTE CONTROL -2hrs but the photo's are coming in when the picture is taken not 2 hrs later.
By Roscoe
It sounds like the only thing the real time/remote control delay setting controls is how often the camera wakes up to look for commands. It's a good feature. Having real time on and the camera awake all the time waiting to execute your commands instantly is a battery killer. It's "radio" receiver being hot all the time is what I'm talking about. You have yours set at 2hrs, so every two hours your camera will wake up its receiver and "ping" the server to see if there are any pending commands. It's the difference in your camera burning extra battery a few minutes a day as opposed to all day. Make sense?
By 27jr
Roscoe - Thank you and wouldn't that save battery power or not since you have SEND MODE - INSTANT.

I'm a little confused since Rebbie said he wouldn't receive all his photos without it set to REAL TIME. I have 2015 upgraded to 2016 and do not have that option on the camera only the App. Does it matter if you have that option on the camera besides the App? Per Covert today the stated no since you can set it on the App.

Doesn't having the camera still sending photo's when triggered every 5 minutes with SEND MODE- INSTANT also eat up battery? I just put a fully charged 12 attached to a 2015 (upgraded to 2016) SEND MODE- INSTANT, REMOTE CONTROL - OFF. These setting on the camera. The App has 2hr delay as the only change.

BTW I have .02B version of 2016 software and was sent .03B as the latest for covert 2015 upgrade to 2016. What I find odd is per Covert I have to use at least 8 G or higher SD card for the 1.1 meg file for the .03B version software to load. Weird as I figured 2 G SD card should work but I found every time I did it the version always showed .02B. So, I guess I'll try it their way and see what happens.

I do not have a 2015 Code Black so I really don't know how it's supposed to work. When you say you have a 2015 upgraded to 2016, you mean you have a 2015 Code Black camera with a new firmware version that allows you to use the new Covert Wireless app. I really think Covert is still trying to figure out how everything works. Hopefully they will eventually get things going well. Do you own a 2016 Covert Code Black?

Yes, I do have a 2016, just haven't done anything with it as I wait for the FW update before putting it out on the farm that is 4 hrs. away.
By rebbie
Yes, I do have a 2016, just haven't done anything with it as I wait for the FW update before putting it out on the farm that is 4 hrs. away.

Ok I got you. I wouldn't even bother yet. I have had my 2016 Code Black since the first week of April and it's still been in test mode. Not worth putting it out in the field with it not working right. I tried putting my camera on a six hour delay today to see what would happen and as usual I do not receive every photo that it took. Very frustrated to have a camera that only works right when it set to real time always! The poor flash range is a whole another story. Hopefully they get that fixed with their new firmware update!
By 27jr
It sounds like the only thing the real time/remote control delay setting controls is how often the camera wakes up to look for commands. It's a good feature. Having real time on and the camera awake all the time waiting to execute your commands instantly is a battery killer. It's "radio" receiver being hot all the time is what I'm talking about. You have yours set at 2hrs, so every two hours your camera will wake up its receiver and "ping" the server to see if there are any pending commands. It's the difference in your camera burning extra battery a few minutes a day as opposed to all day. Make sense?

I changed it to every 6 hrs on the App since there is no option on the camera supposedly Covert said that's how it would work with the 2015 FW upgraded.
So, here's a good one for you or anyone please chime in. With SEND MODE set to INSTANT, the camera will take a photo every time the camera senses motion as set in the TRIGGER INTERVAL. Mine is set for every 5 mins and today only triggered 3 times on turkey. How much battery does that eat up? Isn't the receiver always active with the tower for constant connection and the transmitter goes hot when it's time to send a picture?

BTW talk to lady at Covert and to much of my surprise I used 16G SD card to download the .03B FM she sent me to bring my upgrade to the current version. I went to the woods yesterday and sure enough the upgrade took, kinda funny how a 2G card wouldn't work. Once I did that I performed a FW download there in the field and sure enough it stated FW is up to date witch tells me that feature works. She also told me that the new version wouldn't be ready for 3 weeks but wasn't sure since she doesn't work with the techies. I guess will keep checking the sight.
By 27jr

Ok I got you. I wouldn't even bother yet. I have had my 2016 Code Black since the first week of April and it's still been in test mode. Not worth putting it out in the field with it not working right. I tried putting my camera on a six hour delay today to see what would happen and as usual I do not receive every photo that it took. Very frustrated to have a camera that only works right when it set to real time always! The poor flash range is a whole another story. Hopefully they get that fixed with their new firmware update!

The lady told me the battery issue, photo would be taken care of in the next release. I was hoping to have the camera operational the end of this month and put out in the field for deer before the bow season opens. I guess like Roscoe stated SEND MODE and REMOTE CONTROL (i.e. delay) work differently. I have the option in my 2015 FW upgrade to turn REMOTE CONTROL - OFF instead of REAL TIME or DELAYs. Hopefully with it turned off it will save battery but, with SEND MODE set to INSTANT I am receiving photo's when the TRIGGER INTERVAL (set 5 mins) goes off.
By Roscoe
Think of the receiver/transmitter as basically being a radio that both receives & transmits. It's all either on or off. It works independently of the camera taking pictures.

With real time OFF and send set to INSTANT, the "radio" stays off until its needed, as does the camera except for the sensor circuit. When the sensor is triggered its sets off the sequence of programmed events: wake up the camera, take the picture, save the picture to SD card, transmit the picture to server. It then powers every thing back down and only the sensor circuit is hot again.

When real time is ON, that "radio" is hot and eating battery all the time...and ready to receive commands instantly as they are sent by the user.

Set the real time delay to 6 HOURS and that "radio" is off until that once every 6 hr event takes place where it turns on and contacts the server looking for commands. Obviously the "radio" will be turned on anytime there is a motion trigger during that window as well.

So, how do you manage battery life? Well, the biggest battery users are the transmission of pictures, real time function, and flash pictures at night. You can kill the biggest battery user by keeping real time off. I think using a real time delay of like 6 HOURS is a great idea. Gives you 4 opportunities per day for the camera to receive commands and uses very little extra battery life in doing so. I don't have a Covert, but from what I understand there is no way to set different trigger intervals for daytime and night time. On most of my Spartans I use anywhere from 10 second to a 1 minute delay during the programmed daylight period and a 5 minute night time delay typically. I want to get all the daytime picture I can get and cut back on the night time triggers to save battery.
By 27jr
Think of the receiver/transmitter as basically being a radio that both receives & transmits. It's all either on or off. It works independently of the camera taking pictures.

With real time OFF and send set to INSTANT, the "radio" stays off until its needed, as does the camera except for the sensor circuit. When the sensor is triggered its sets off the sequence of programmed events: wake up the camera, take the picture, save the picture to SD card, transmit the picture to server. It then powers every thing back down and only the sensor circuit is hot again.

When real time is ON, that "radio" is hot and eating battery all the time...and ready to receive commands instantly as they are sent by the user.

Set the real time delay to 6 HOURS and that "radio" is off until that once every 6 hr event takes place where it turns on and contacts the server looking for commands. Obviously the "radio" will be turned on anytime there is a motion trigger during that window as well.

So, how do you manage battery life? Well, the biggest battery users are the transmission of pictures, real time function, and flash pictures at night. You can kill the biggest battery user by keeping real time off. I think using a real time delay of like 6 HOURS is a great idea. Gives you 4 opportunities per day for the camera to receive commands and uses very little extra battery life in doing so. I don't have a Covert, but from what I understand there is no way to set different trigger intervals for daytime and night time. On most of my Spartans I use anywhere from 10 second to a 1 minute delay during the programmed daylight period and a 5 minute night time delay typically. I want to get all the daytime picture I can get and cut back on the night time triggers to save battery.

Roscoe sounds great and so I hope to get a lot of time on 12v set up that way with no solar since it's in the woods facing the field.
By Bowhunter1

Covert 2015 FM upgrade .03B and 2016 have two START/STOP TIME. I take it filling those in would shut off the PIR and activate it only during the times specified for the camera to be active. So you can setup for example 4 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. when deer maybe moving in your area. The only issue is cover doesn't allow two different TRIGGER INTERVA, but should still save you a lot of battery to last for months. I ask Covert that question about being able to have 2 different TRIGGER INTERVALs for the 2 START/STOP times.
By danno1400
Outside of a purely security setup, I can't see much need to ever have real time on permanently.[/quote]
Hey Roscoe why would you need real time on a security setup if it notifies you with each new picture? I am still trying to grasp the whole concept.

let me know how it goes. you can call me if you n[…]

Did this guy get shot?

I'm sure the man had something to do with it!

Late season bait station

It’s a good thing that moose doesn’t h[…]

Great video!!! :D