Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By LibbyLA
In case, for some reason, you had a somewhat longish trigger interval and wanted to request a photo or especially if you needed the hi res photo now rather than the next time the camera checks in.
By Roscoe
Hey Roscoe why would you need real time on a security setup if it notifies you with each new picture? I am still trying to grasp the whole concept.

I'll give you a "for instance" on a security setup. I used a camera on our driveway out at the farm for security for about a year. It would hit on any vehicle coming up the driveway as it passed. The camera also had a pretty good view of the house as it was 30-40 yards from the house. Once a vehicle got to the house and parked, the range made detection by the camera more difficult on folks getting out of a vehicle. I was interested in knowing when anything came up the driveway but also having a more wide view of the house as a whole. Once a vehicle triggered the camera, with it in real time, I could send picture requests and get follow up pics whether the camera was being triggered or not. Make sense?

Now, if you had the camera just watching say the front door on your hunting cabin out in the woods at fairly close range, I don't think having real time would be of much benefit.

For the most part, I think "Real Time" is a neat feature to have access to, but for the most part its a little overblown as to how worthwhile it really is. :mrgreen:

Most everybody I know who gets one of these cell cameras runs it in real time at first.... because lets face it, its dang cool to be able to talk to your camera instantly! :lol: But quickly discover that they're really not doing anything with it and turn it off.
By LibbyLA
I think that part of the dependence on real time comes from those of us who have had cell cams before the Spartans and the app. With those, if you needed to know whether your camera was still working, you had to request a picture. There weren't scheduled events that would let the camera check in. Between the camera and the @#$% AT&T GoPhone plan, you never knew whether the last picture you got from the camera was the last picture you were going to get.

With the Spartans, the daily status report and the ability to have up to 9 more scheduled events to get the camera to check in have made it mostly unnecessary to have real time on. I know I was resistant to the idea of having real time off, but the scheduled events are actually better because I don't have to remember to request a picture.
By danno1400
Thank you Libby and Ross for the explanation, I guess what is confusing me is that even if I have it set for say 6 hours there is still a spot on the portal that if I click on it, it will send me a real time photo.
By johnnydeerhunter
Danno, if you click on that it won't send the pic until it reaches that 6 hour check in.
By johnnydeerhunter
[

Most everybody I know who gets one of these cell cameras runs it in real time at first.... because lets face it, its dang cool to be able to talk to your camera instantly! :lol: But quickly discover that they're really not doing anything with it and turn it off.

It great to have when a bear is staring down your camera and then you don't get a pic for a while, always nice to request a pic and see that the cam is in one piece or still has it's antenna.
By Roscoe
[

It great to have when a bear is staring down your camera and then you don't get a pic for a while, always nice to request a pic and see that the cam is in one piece or still has it's antenna.

I disagree!!!!

I enjoy that much more when it happens, real time is off and YOU have to wait hours for the next picture to come in. :P :mrgreen: :lol:
By johnnydeerhunter
Yes, you're comments while I'm waiting sure calm the nerves :roll:
By danno1400
Danno, if you click on that it won't send the pic until it reaches that 6 hour check in.
What if you 1st change it from the 6 hour setting to real time would it then send a quick picture when you click on send real time photo?
By LibbyLA
No, because it won't check in to get the update to real time until the 6-hour checkin.
By 27jr
Great discussion and I see still no App. I'd rather they take their time and do a great job instead of rushing and it comes out crappy.
By rebbie
I will add this about having the camera on realtime. The camera will send the photo faster and the camera will recover faster to take another photo again. I know most don't care about that but to me I like that the camera can recover faster and take another photo if the buck is still present in front of the camera. That being said having the camera on realtime will burn the batteries out way to soon. I do like that I have the option to run on real time if I want. Unfortunately my 2016 Code Black doesn't work right unless real time is on always! :(
By 27jr
I will add this about having the camera on realtime. The camera will send the photo faster and the camera will recover faster to take another photo again. I know most don't care about that but to me I like that the camera can recover faster and take another photo if the buck is still present in front of the camera. That being said having the camera on realtime will burn the batteries out way to soon. I do like that I have the option to run on real time if I want. Unfortunately my 2016 Code Black doesn't work right unless real time is on always! :(

Does that App on your smartphone allow you under settings to make changes to the 2 TIMERS i.e. turn them on and change the start/stop times? My Android doesn't I had to call Covert and they did it there locally. I had the TIMERS 1 0400 - 0930, 2 1600 - 2130. Thinking that is the more relevant time for deer. I had requested a photo (6 hr delay) didn't receive the requested photo which I should of if the server ping the camera and sent the request and six hrs later when the server ping the camera I should of received that photo. The other thing is with those TIMERs set I received a photo at 0229 which tells me the App whether on the Smartphone or Computer at home doesn't work at least with 2015 FW upgrade.
By johnnydeerhunter
I do not believe that the camera is going to send the photo or do whatever command you asked it to do 6 hours after you request it if you are on a 6 hour delay. Say at 12 noon you go into your settings on the camera and turn it to 6 hour delay, the camera will check in at 6pm, midnight, 6am and then at noon. So, if at 1pm you request a picture to be taken you will have to wait 5 hours for it to be 6pm when the camera checks in. If you request the picture at 5pm you should only have to wait an hour. The timers do not work on the app for the 2016. I'm also wondering if you didn't get the pic you requested because your camera was checking in on one of the times that were outside your timer windows??? Or it could just be that it didn't send it, from what Rebbie and I have seen the camera is maybe 50% successful when not on full real time.
By 27jr
Hopefully they have that FW update ready soon.

I see on their website under support it has FW updates under that it has Covert-Wireless Test it has Cover Wireless Menu and under it has Covert-Wireless Test and has the different wireless cameras but says those site are protect put in your password. I wouldn't mind testing for them and help get things going.
Fox takes a L**k

:mrgreen: Uncensored Nature. Female you think ?[…]

Ridgetec Lookout - Bear

What kind of bear is this? Its in the Rockies in […]

Is he carrying something in his mouth? also the w[…]

5 Nice Bucks + -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LHe1JIuuGQ