Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By LibbyLA
A bedroom normally isn't all that big so it doesn't take much flash to light it well. Indoors and in my small back yard, I have to turn the Spartan GoCam flash to low or the photos are nothing but burnout. Rebbie is looking for an outdoor photo with some distance in it to see how well illuminated the shot is.
By rebbie
Rebbie - the only other place I have real dark is the bedroom and the photo's came out great.

Ok no problem. Thanks for trying. Covert is well aware that there is a problem with the flash range on the 2016 Code Black. They hope to improve that with the next firmware update. You can share some photos after you get the camera deployed in the PA woods. Good luck!
By rebbie
rebbie,

Have you tried accessing the portal from your phone using a browser rather than the app? You might be able to do that and manage to make your changes from your phone, just not by using the app.

I know I can access the Spartan portal using a browser on my phone.

Yes I can try that. Once I deploy the camera I really won't be making many setting changes to the camera but a least now I know I can make changes if need be via the portal until Covert can update their app.
By 27jr
A bedroom normally isn't all that big so it doesn't take much flash to light it well. Indoors and in my small back yard, I have to turn the Spartan GoCam flash to low or the photos are nothing but burnout. Rebbie is looking for an outdoor photo with some distance in it to see how well illuminated the shot is.

thank you
By 27jr
Rebbie - the only other place I have real dark is the bedroom and the photo's came out great.

Ok no problem. Thanks for trying. Covert is well aware that there is a problem with the flash range on the 2016 Code Black. They hope to improve that with the next firmware update. You can share some photos after you get the camera deployed in the PA woods. Good luck!

Thanks and will do
By 27jr
Here are a couple night pics from 2016 code blacks.

First one hasn't been updated.

This one has been updated

Looking at these photos tells me that the FW upgrade actually improved night time photos
By rebbie
Here are a couple night pics from 2016 code blacks.

First one hasn't been updated.

This one has been updated

Thanks for sharing your night time photos. The flash still doesn't look that bright? If that was my Wireless Spartan camera it would have lit up the trees behind the bear like the 4th of July! I guess I will just have to deal with the flash range for now and make sure my setup is close to where I expect the deer to be.
By 27jr
It sounds like the sensing area pretty much matches the camera's FOV, so I would doubt they would change that. It wouldn't be something FW would address anyway unless they slowed down the trigger speed. It would be an adjustment or physical change in the hardware most likely. Try a narrow strip of tape down each side and see how it works. An 1/8" would probably be wider than needed.

Here's a way to check sensing area vs FOV. Get out to the side of the camera about 10'. Walk straight away, parallel to where the camera is aiming. Do it a couple times on both sides of the camera and see how far you are I the picture when the camera triggers. This will give you a much more representative look at the sensing area than walking straight across in front of the camera.

I did what you said and without the tape the camera catches myself 1/4 way into the photo, with the tape I didn't show up on the picture with the trigger set to 5 secs or 30 secs. Now walking across where the camera is aiming i'm almost dead center. Now that was walking 50 - 70 feet.

Roscoe - I did a test without any tape
The pictures walking away from the camera parallel I appear to be 1/4 into the photo, when I walk across in front of the camera 1/4 into the photo

With tape on

walking away from camera parallel I don't show up in the photo during roughly 70 ft
Walking across in front of the camera I'm just about center of the photo, which is the problem I have the deer when walking across in front of camera the deer appear 1/4 into the photo.

What does this tell you?
By 27jr
By the way I noticed last night that covert has an update for their app.

That App 1.3.3I downloaded I think last night when I was trying to verify with Rebbie that it didn't work for making changes to the camera. Covert told me today that the info I gave them about the App was pasted onto the tech people.
By rebbie
Every once in awhile I'll get a bright pic, so the camera is capable. This is from the cam without the update.

Wow look at the difference between the 2 photos! The bottom photo is so much brighter! That's the way it should be! I wonder why it was so much brighter that time? Thanks for sharing your photos.
By 27jr
Roscoe & Rebbie,

What do you think of my FOV testing on My 2016 Covert?

Roscoe - I did a test without any tape
The pictures walking away from the camera parallel I appear to be 1/4 into the photo, when I walk across in front of the camera 1/4 into the photo

With tape on

walking away from camera parallel I don't show up in the photo during roughly 70 ft
Walking across in front of the camera I'm just about center of the photo, which is the problem I have the deer when walking across in front of camera the deer appear 1/4 into the photo.

What does this tell you?

Stealthcam has always been pretty good imo when it[…]

And I do have a Spartan also. That will be next on[…]

Ridgetec Lookout Dual is IN

No, a Carrier change requires a sim swap and menu […]

Anthony, your suggestion worked. I dont know wh[…]