Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By Shawn D
I just purchased a covert code black 12.0. It has .65 trigger speed and says it the newest model. Just curious what it means for REAL TIME or the DELAY time options. I have read previous post but not sure i understand. I have read that real time runs the batteries down quickly. I am setting out the camera for 30 days and will not have access to it. First cellular camera and just curious what best option for set up is. Thanks for any advice.

Shawn
By Gforce
I would suggest an external battery!

Everybody with Cell Cams that are going to be unattended goes that route sooner or later, may as well do it from the start and save the headache. We found you need a 6v 12ah SLA battery to run the cam for 30 days without a solar charger, and with reserve left that the battery isn't depleted or shuts down the cam. The bigger ah battery the better and the longer it will run. I run my HCO and Covert cams on real time and get about 30 days or more between battery change with the 6v 12ah SLA battery. When I fill up the feeders I swap Batteries so It's one operation and I don't have to go back for a month. I could go with a bigger SLA battery but I find the 6v 12ah SLA battery gets me through one feeding cycle without the expense of solar charging and the price of the larger SLA batteries. I would also have a problem with solar charging because of tree cover.

I also only use 4 AA batteries for the internal cam Batteries because I found that they get depleted right along with the external battery, with about the same voltage left in them. I swap them out as well when I swap out the external so everything stays fresh.
By 27jr
I would suggest an external battery!

Everybody with Cell Cams that are going to be unattended goes that route sooner or later, may as well do it from the start and save the headache. We found you need a 6v 12ah SLA battery to run the cam for 30 days without a solar charger, and with reserve left that the battery isn't depleted or shuts down the cam. The bigger ah battery the better and the longer it will run. I run my HCO and Covert cams on real time and get about 30 days or more between battery change with the 6v 12ah SLA battery. When I fill up the feeders I swap Batteries so It's one operation and I don't have to go back for a month. I could go with a bigger SLA battery but I find the 6v 12ah SLA battery gets me through one feeding cycle without the expense of solar charging and the price of the larger SLA batteries. I would also have a problem with solar charging because of tree cover.

I also only use 4 AA batteries for the internal cam Batteries because I found that they get depleted right along with the external battery, with about the same voltage left in them. I swap them out as well when I swap out the external so everything stays fresh.

I have only 2 Coverts one 2015 FW upgraded to 2016 for App portal use and one 2016 that I'm just going to get ready to update FW that is supposed to correct some issues. GFORCE have you performed the FW upgrade on Covert? If so, can you also keep us up to date on how it's operating?
I have my 2015 in the woods with the FW update with 12v 7ah battery level 7 since around 17 July 2016 and only roughly 50 - 100 photo's. With deer movement very low since the heat and humidity put its grasp on East Coast. I'm hoping that when I go to PA end of the month the deer movement will be better.

What I my do is put the 2015 upgraded FW camera in sunny location with the Covert Solar panel that has the battery inside the solar panel. Of course Covert no longer sells that solar panel for whatever reason but before I upgraded to the current FW the panel always kept the camera operating with no problems. I might put the Wildgame Innovations 12v 7ah battery connected to it with solar panel and put the 2016 upgraded FW in the woods with no sun connected to 6v 12 amp battery.
By 27jr
Hi 27jr,

Covert does sell and will be selling the new solar panel very soon, in about two weeks or so.
I just talked with them this passed week. Check my web site or Coverts Site for updates.
Right now they have them as back ordered.
See link below.

https://www.covertscoutingcameras.com/s ... lar-panel/" target="_blank

Rick! :D

Thanks but I already have 2 of their solar panels with the battery in the pouch and they work great and I have two cameras. I don't like the new design because there isn't any battery as back up.
By C.A.M.O.
27jr
Not sure where you got that about the battery, that's not my understanding. But maybe I'm not getting it.
This is what I was told and read on the Specs. I'll call this week and find out for sure.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
You no longer have to worry about your camera dying. Covert’s new solar panel is the cure. The solar panel works with all 2014-2016 Covert model cameras that use 12 batteries.
Product Specs:
EP-5/11 Solar Panel Charger-11V 5.5W Advanced Mono-Crystalline Solar Panel, rear pouch, 920mm (36.2″) 18awg cable with Tin Plated Faston .25″ insulated connectors. New PWM charge controller to charge a 6.4V LFPo4 battery, Weather Resistant
By 27jr
[
Last edited by 27jr on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By 27jr
27jr
Not sure where you got that about the battery, that's not my understanding. But maybe I'm not getting it.
This is what I was told and read on the Specs. I'll call this week and find out for sure.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
You no longer have to worry about your camera dying. Covert’s new solar panel is the cure. The solar panel works with all 2014-2016 Covert model cameras that use 12 batteries.
Product Specs:
EP-5/11 Solar Panel Charger-11V 5.5W Advanced Mono-Crystalline Solar Panel, rear pouch, 920mm (36.2″) 18awg cable with Tin Plated Faston .25″ insulated connectors. New PWM charge controller to charge a 6.4V LFPo4 battery, Weather Resistant

O.K. I took that as the controller in the panel didn't read it correctly and someone might of told me they changed it with no battery back up on the solar panel. I think that's cost more than the old one that I have pictured below. Like the camo and looks like the same size as the older solar panel. Do you know why they changed from the older one that seems to work great or at least I haven't had a problem. I see it's already on Amazon but not available. Has kept the camera operating for 4 months last year before I took the cameras out of service for the year. They both still work great, plus now I'm using external battery back up where there is no sun. Thanks for the info.

Image[/URL]
By rebbie
I just purchased a covert code black 12.0. It has .65 trigger speed and says it the newest model. Just curious what it means for REAL TIME or the DELAY time options. I have read previous post but not sure i understand. I have read that real time runs the batteries down quickly. I am setting out the camera for 30 days and will not have access to it. First cellular camera and just curious what best option for set up is. Thanks for any advice.

Shawn

Good luck getting your 2016 Code Black to work right. I updated to the new firmware and I still can't get my camera to work like it's supposed to. Let us know how it works out for you. I am still waiting to hear back from Covert. Please post a nighttime photo when you can.
By rebbie
Shawn D I finally got my camera working right now. Make sure you do the new firmware update. V3.00.29.01 You can also just run the camera on real time now because the new Firware update switched the connection type from TCP/IP, which requires a constant live connection, to SMS which allows the camera to enter sleep mode until you request the on-demand picture or settings change. The sleep mode is what saves your battery life. The problem I was having is that I could not make any setting changes to my camera via the Covert app. I am able to make setting changes via the web portal. Once you set your camera up you probably won't make to many setting changes but at least now I know how to change them if I have to. I am sure Covert will come out with an update for their app to fix this issue. You should be good to go now. Good luck and enjoy!
By 27jr
Shawn D I finally got my camera working right now. Make sure you do the new firmware update. V3.00.29.01 You can also just run the camera on real time now because the new Firware update switched the connection type from TCP/IP, which requires a constant live connection, to SMS which allows the camera to enter sleep mode until you request the on-demand picture or settings change. The sleep mode is what saves your battery life. The problem I was having is that I could not make any setting changes to my camera via the Covert app. I am able to make setting changes via the web portal. Once you set your camera up you probably won't make to many setting changes but at least now I know how to change them if I have to. I am sure Covert will come out with an update for their app to fix this issue. You should be good to go now. Good luck and enjoy!

Rebbie - Did you see the photo's hardcorehunter posted on the Firmware upgrade page? It seems to me that the FW upgrade improved the night time photos.
By rebbie

Rebbie - Did you see the photo's hardcorehunter posted on the Firmware upgrade page? It seems to me that the FW upgrade improved the night time photos.

Yes I did. I commented. Still doesn't seem all that bright?
Yotes on the move.

Just 5 I think. The old recon only has 10 s at nig[…]

Cold Turkey

https://vimeo.com/374000955

Spartan 3G finally quit

Mike it's simple enough to get a new SD card for t[…]

Did this guy get shot?

there is definitely some redness and edema in t[…]