Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By DevonTT
We're using 6AH 6v external batteries with no internal batteries (per instructions from HCO tech support). These batteries die in days, not months. Why such a difference from your tests?

(If this post should be in a different thread, please let me know.)

Devon
By johnnydeerhunter
A 6ah battery will be less amps than if you filled the camera with alkaline batteries.
By DevonTT
The number of images per day varies widely from case to case. Could be anywhere from a dozen to 100. We do use Real Time Control so we have the option to check on our traps with on demand photos.
By johnnydeerhunter
You could turn real time off and set scheduled events to take a picture at a certain time(s) or use timelapse to take a picture every hour or two or three. Would drastically extend your battery life.

I would also put at least 4 batteries in the camera so it will still work if the external battery gets unplugged. Honestly I would fill it up with rechargebale aa's and use the external. Is your external an SLA?
By Roscoe
Johnny is on target with all his suggestions. Libby's battery test is with real time off and most likely a much lower picture volume than you're talking about.

At the risk of disagreeing with HCO techs, run some rechargeable batteries in the camera. I use external batteries on most of my GoCams and always have 12 rechargeable batteries inside. The camera is going to use whatever voltage is higher, be that internal or external battery.

And you need larger external batteries if you're going run with real time on. 6ah is really not much of a battery to run one of these cameras in real time.

I think Johnnie's point on using scheduled events to check your traps is a good one also. You can have as many as 9 scheduled pictures per day programmed, so you'd never have to go more than 2-3 hrs at most w/o a picture to check. That'd be a lot easier on power use if it would work for you.
By DevonTT
You could turn real time off and set scheduled events to take a picture at a certain time(s) or use timelapse to take a picture every hour or two or three. Would drastically extend your battery life.

I would also put at least 4 batteries in the camera so it will still work if the external battery gets unplugged. Honestly I would fill it up with rechargebale aa's and use the external. Is your external an SLA?

When time lapse is used, does the camera also trigger on motion detection? Or is it either/or?
By Btork
Hi all,

Lots of good information in this forum!! I've learned a lot just perusing various posts!

By way of background I should say that DevonTT and I volunteer for the Retrievers, a volunteer lost dog team. The team owns 11 of the Spartan Cams (ATTb). They are great cams, but constantly killing our batteries. We opted to make external battery packs for each camera. Our goal was ease of use and portability. So we opted for a smaller 6v 6Ah SLA battery. Each team member has 2 batteries and a charger. The idea here is, since we are frequently visiting the camera locations to add bait, team members can quickly change out the battery. When trapping a dog, typically we are first monitoring a feeding station for a day or two first to ensure they are returning to the location, then deploy a trap. Sometimes everything can go quickly and other times it can take a month.

I now see that maybe our best bet is to have Real Time Control turned off while we are monitoring the food, and conditioning the dog to the trap. Then on the day we plan to trap we could turn Real Time Control back on.

From what I am understanding you are thinking we went too small with our 6Ah batteries?
Any other battery life tips?
By Btork

In time lapse mode, does it send the picture over the internet? Or is it saved only on the SD card?
By LibbyLA
Btork,

Why do you need real time on at all? We don't run any of our cameras with real time control on.

Turn real-time control off. Then set the camera to either do time lapse (every hour? every two hours?) or just have it send you pics twice a day (e.g., 9 AM and 9 PM) or four times a day (pick four). That lets you know that the camera is there and working.

Photos are not send over the internet, they are sent via cell signal, but the camera sends all pics it takes, whether event, time lapse, or motion.

We use 12 Ah 6V batteries and we don't handle our cameras for 6-8 months. Y'all may be getting a lot more pictures than we do, though.

Very cool use of the cameras, BTW!
By 3000gt
Libby,
So the camera will send EACH picture it takes to the portal with real time off?

The way I understand it is real time is only for setting updates and to take a immediate photo while draining the piss out of your batteries correct?
By rebbie
Libby,

Yes it will.
By LibbyLA
Libby,

The way I understand it is real time is only for setting updates and to take a immediate photo while draining the piss out of your batteries correct?

3000gt,

That pretty much sums it up. I need to clarify that it sends each picture it takes, all pictures it takes, when it takes them, but this applies only if you take 1 picture for motion-triggered photos, not 2 or 3. If you take 2 or 3, it sends the last one.

If real-time is OFF, you will still be able to change settings, it's just that the change won't happen immediately. It will happen after the next time the camera checks in, for any reason. Could be a status report, a motion-triggered photo, a time-lapse photo, or an event photo. This is a good reason to set at least a couple or three events per day, but the mandatory status report will ensure that the camera checks in at least once a day so you would not have to wait longer than 24 hours for a setting change.
Fox takes a L**k

:mrgreen: Uncensored Nature. Female you think ?[…]

Ridgetec Lookout - Bear

What kind of bear is this? Its in the Rockies in […]

Is he carrying something in his mouth? also the w[…]

5 Nice Bucks + -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LHe1JIuuGQ