Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By popenyoung
New to the Spartan Family. Here's some elementary questions I have...

1) Looks like the best bet for a quality external battery is a 6 volt, 12 ah. What are you guys using? How much? I've never used externals before.

2) I notice that the external power cable is $17.99 ish. Is there any place else that you can buy this for cheaper? Seems like a lot of money for a power cord.

3) I'm also thinking about adding an antenna to my gocam. How much would the magnetic mount antenna help. Currently I have about 1-2 bars of service.

4) I currently have lithium batteries in my camera with great success. If I decide to go with an external battery, I must use rechargeable AA batteries, correct? Has anyone found a brand that is cheaper, but works well?

5) Solar Panels? How much do they help? Any suggestion on which one to buy?

I realize this is a varied of questions and I apologize for that. Like I said earlier, I'm fairly new to the cellular camera thing.
By LibbyLA
We are using some Interstate, some other brand 12 Ah 6V batteries. You can get them from ebay for less than $15 each, quantity one, including shipping.

Power cable from HCO is $9.99 but I don't know how much shipping would be. You can build your own.

Here's a link for info on external power setups: https://spartancamera.com/showpost/2153

Rechargeable batteries aren't cheap. So far, the longest life seems to be the Amazon Basics 2400 mAh. They used to be in a black wrapper but I think they are in silver wrappers now. I haven't tried the higher mAh Tenergies but I'm not sure they are low self-discharge.

Here's a thread that Roscoe started about a big solar setup he did. As long as you have sunlight, solar is great. Since we are in a forest, solar doesn't work for us.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=44055&hilit=Solar

You should get some better, more complete advice from some of the other members.
By T-post
4) I currently have lithium batteries in my camera with great success. If I decide to go with an external battery, I must use rechargeable AA batteries, correct? Has anyone found a brand that is cheaper, but works well?

I may be wrong, but I think it doesn't matter what type of batteries you run as internal, when using the external power on a GoCam. I've been using internal alkalines on mine for over a year, while on external power. The Covert Code Black, however, does require rechargeable internals when external power is used.
By popenyoung
Thanks for the help. Very interesting. So in theory, could I run Lithium's with an external? Does anyone know? Has this done been before? I would think that would last forever with a solar panel!
By johnnydeerhunter
If you use lithium as internal with their higher voltage they will be used up before the camera switches over to using the external SLA battery, then if your cable becomes unplugged your cam is dead. Alkaline will be ok, rechargeable is best because they are actually a lower voltage than alkaline batteries and the SLA so your external SLA gets used up pretty well and then it switches to the internals.
By johnnydeerhunter
New to the Spartan Family. Here's some elementary questions I have...

1) Looks like the best bet for a quality external battery is a 6 volt, 12 ah. What are you guys using? How much? I've never used externals before. I use the SLA batteries from Apex battery

2) I notice that the external power cable is $17.99 ish. Is there any place else that you can buy this for cheaper? Seems like a lot of money for a power cord. Libby has that covered

3) I'm also thinking about adding an antenna to my gocam. How much would the magnetic mount antenna help. Currently I have about 1-2 bars of service.Try it first, you may be surprised, I have a few cams sending with only one or two bars.

5) Solar Panels? How much do they help? Any suggestion on which one to buy? If you have sunlight they are great, I got mine from Apex with the batteries.

I realize this is a varied of questions and I apologize for that. Like I said earlier, I'm fairly new to the cellular camera thing.
By popenyoung
If you use lithium as internal with their higher voltage they will be used up before the camera switches over to using the external SLA battery, then if your cable becomes unplugged your cam is dead. Alkaline will be ok, rechargeable is best because they are actually a lower voltage than alkaline batteries and the SLA so your external SLA gets used up pretty well and then it switches to the internals.

I knew it was to good to be true.

Where are you guys getting your solar panels? How much do you think a solar panel helps with battery longevity?

What do you guys think of this battery? Cheap?
http://www.apexbattery.com/apex-apx6120 ... cid-b.html
By mattpatt
I have Code Blacks and the best battery setup in my opinion are Tenergy rechargeable AAs and a 6v 7ah battery with a feeder type solar panel. With this setup in marginal sunlight I never have to worry about batteries. EVER! After 4-5 years the 6v will fail and I'll have to buy a new one and the solar panel may eventually have to be replaced but by the time all this occurs you would have saved lots of $$$ on not having to buy AA batteries. Plus it's worry free aside from having to plug the external cable back in due to something pulling it out like coons.

I assume this same setup would translate to the GoCam without any problem.

Matt
Fox takes a L**k

:mrgreen: Uncensored Nature. Female you think ?[…]

Ridgetec Lookout - Bear

What kind of bear is this? Its in the Rockies in […]

Is he carrying something in his mouth? also the w[…]

5 Nice Bucks + -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LHe1JIuuGQ