Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
Just based on preliminary testing the group picture upload once per day might be the ticket onthis device. I say this because of a quick observation tonight. This device has a pretty cool feature. While it's transmitting a picture your camera can still take and save pictures. What happens is if your camera takes any pictures while the TrailLync is sending a picture, they are saved and immediately transmitted after the the original is finished transmitting. Tonight I triggered the camera and while it was transmitting the pic I triggered it again. Both pics were full res, around 1mb. The first one was slow coming in at 11 minutes, but I got the 2nd one 2 minutes later. Which is not bad at all. The website says it saves battery to do them all at once over individually. If this timing is any indication, the battery saving could be pretty significant.
Ross,

How many D cell batteries does the unit take?

Matt
Does the Trail Lync menu offer different sizes of video to transmit?

It's only 2g right now. It can't do video. I'm told they are skipping 3G and going straight to 4g this fall that will be able to do video.

Currently it offers 4 different picture compressions to send. In my testing so far, it appears the lower 3 all produce an image produce a transmitted image of 50kb or less. On none of the 3 is the quality good enough to be able to read the info strip on the picture. As I see it the only usable setting is the full sized image, with is going to be pretty hard on both battery life and data usage. I talked to them about changing compression settings to give one a little more middle of the road picture quality wise. You have to be able to read the info strip on a picture.
See complete review below...
Last edited by mattpatt on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've thought about that. The Bushnell is a 12mp camera. I could in theory lower the resolution then try having the trail lync send the uncompressed file and see if that works.
I was wondering why 2g myself but even at 2g it shouldn't take more than just a few seconds to transmit. Verizon 2g speed = 0.12 Megabits per second = 15 Kilobytes per second.

A 128 Kilobyte file would only take about 9 second to transmit, and remember most would receive the email at regular speed and Bandwidth their computer or phones runs on. Also remember some of us used 2g cams before and it never took long for the Pictures to come through! There is a slowdown somewhere else that needs to be addressed.

If the picture is compressed before sending then speed shouldn't be a problem, if not then yes there would be a big problem. If Verizon has him choked back that much then he has a problem with Verizon he needs to address.
Gforce.. It's taking an average of 10 minutes for me to receive a similar file.
Another thing to keep in mind is strength of signal. That speed is based on a very strong signal between the device and the tower. If i'm only getting 1 bar of service there will be considerable speed decrease versus getting 5 bars of service on the signal meter.
So I've made some progress on this. Seems I've found the sweet spot for the cam I'm using and the settings on the device. 8 megapixel and medium setting on the Trail Lync seems to give the best trade off. It has decent compression but not too much that the pic is really distorted but makes the pics average around 60-80kb in size. Pics were 800-900kb before compression. I tried 3mp and medium and the pics were too distorted. A uncompressed 3pm image was too big and was chewing through my data plan but they did look nice. I'll upload some pics later. I still wouldn't recommend this device though. If you must have it, wait for the 4G version that supposedly will be out later this year. The only problem with that is unless the data plans change you'll still be paying a very high premium to be able to receive pics on your phone. Yes, you'll get them faster but if you want high res it'll chew through your data in no time flat.

Matt
The camera I have here at the house to test it on is my Reconyx XR6. It's pretty much a no go on any Reconyx camera. The info strip is so small to begin with that any compression at all makes it unreadable. The full resolution pictures it sends are really nice but they generally take over an hour to receive and chew up way too much data. Hopefully next week I can get out to deer camp and pick up my stealth cam. I suspect with a bigger info strip I'll be able to use some compression on the pictures and still be able to read the strip. In its current version as a 2G device I would discourage anyone from purchasing it. Like Matt, I got the device at 50% off. I'm still pretty ticked that I purchased a 2g device. Both at myself for not investigating it thoroughly and them for selling a 2g device in this day and age. If they do indeed get the 4G device out this fall It could certainly become a worthwhile product at that point.
I'd like to see Dylan Seats, of Trail Lync / Dover Electronics partner up with Will of HCO. I think their combined expertise in their respective fields would make one heck of a innovative trail camera company.
Why would Wei want to do that?
Last edited by mattpatt on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why would Wei want to do that?

Your "rant" (your words, not mine) is exactly why. The basic idea is good, it just needs the proper implementation.

This type of device is the direction that cellular cameras are going. Moultrie debuted their version of a universal (to Moultrie) device last year. HCO is two years ahead of it's closest competitor when it comes to the most efficient and user friendly cell cams...I'd like to see them continue to ride that wave as the "universal cellular adapter" becomes the next hottest product.
Spypoint Link Dark

I purchased this camera a couple months ago and I […]

Night Bats

Good stuff, not often do we see bat photos or vide[…]

Mr. and Mrs. Fox (the Foxes)

https://vimeo.com/367997085

ok, then its aim and distance.