Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By mattpatt
I recommend real time to anyone. The Spartans don't use much extra power in real time. Not near as much as my old Panda cam. A 6v Sonic brand battery and a 6v, 3 watt outdoor solar panel will do the job. Mine has been running for 1.5+ years and the internal batteries still show full charge. I use Ray-O-Vac batteries exclusively inside.

In my experience a 3 watt solar panel is overkill. I get by with the 6v panels you can get at Wal-Mart that are designed for deer feeders. Not sure of their rating but they're no where near 3 watts. All mine are setup with external batteries and these feeder panels with rechargeable batteries inside and the only time I have to go touch them is if a coon has decided to mess with the camera and pulled the external battery loose. These setups are on protein\corn feeders and I get about 500 pics a month between all the varmints that visit.

Matt
By mattpatt
Mike & Matt, what is the value of running with Real Time on 24/7? I just don't see in for most applications.

I run real time so I can take pics whenever I want as well as shut them down. I run two of them on hog traps and being able to do this in real time is essential. The other two I do this just because I can. No real reason other than that. They would work equally as fine checking in a few times a day with real time off.

Matt
By bowhtr1
I run both mine with real time on. No reason for me not to. I get a little over 3 months on my battery setup with it on. The first time I see it below 5.7 volts I just swap the battery next time out.
Of course I can leave my house and be looking at my cam in 15 mins.
By mikeinkaty
Mainly cause I'm 500 miles away most of the time! I like requesting HD pics and additional pics when something interesting shows up. For instance, when those bears showed up I switched it to 10 sec video. Got a dozen neat videos on the SD card. Then I switched it back to pic mode. And, sometimes it goes a while with no pic so I ask for one just to know if the cam is still working. A 6v battery, a solar panel, and a cheap voltage regulator is all it takes. Mine has been running like this for over a year and a half.

I'm getting back in the mood for a remote hog trap. Just have to get a new 3G GSM relay. I see eBay has some single relay units for $30. Hog are back at my place after none for like 2 years. Got about a dozen adults showing up and a whole slew of piggies.

Oh last month I pulled 2 sets of the internal batteries to test them. They were still fully charged so I left the 3rd set in. When I got half way back to Texas it dawned on me that I forgot to put those 2 sets back in. Don't matter though cause of the external battery. Now if a squirrel decided to eat the wire I'm up the creek. Going back up there next week for R&R with kids and grandkids.
By mikeinkaty
Matt, 2 years ago when using the Panda cam we had almost a month of no sun. (Winter time). Both the external and internals went down and the cam shut off. Because of that I got 5 watt panels. Now, with the spartan that is overkill. I got a 10 watt to run a fence charger but someone stole the battery back in March. I'll fix that next week. 10 watt is overkill for that but it's down in the woods and I might get 3 hrs of sun if lucky.
By LibbyLA
Mike,

Use scheduled events to get a picture or two every day. That way, you don't have to request a pic. Mine send pics at 9 AM and 9 PM every day.

You don't need real time on to get HD photos or change settings. Those things will happen the next time the camera checks in. Schedule a couple of status reports a day along with the scheduled pictures so you know the camera will check in several times a day even if nothing is happening in front of the camera.
By mikeinkaty
Libby, I get a pic every day at noon. But I still like taking adhoc pics occasionally. Point is, running real time has no downside for me.
By Gforce
Libby, I get a pic every day at noon. But I still like taking adhoc pics occasionally. Point is, running real time has no downside for me.

Same here I run everything on real time also, no special reason but I find it better to be able to communicate with the cam anytime better than having to wait for an event. Also I think it may help keep a better connection when the signal is weak in places.

New member from Scotland and thought I start with […]

1st Buck on camera for 2019

Its that time of the year....

:)

not sure if its true but if so its a good one.

I like his purple coat... very cool. Probably[…]