Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By LibbyLA
OpenSignal should tell you where the towers are for whatever carrier you happen to be using at the moment, I think.

Booster antennae aren't carrier/vendor specific so your boosters should work in both Covert and Spartan. Good luck with the signal thing. I feel your pain!
By rebbie
Its been awhile since I have posted. Needing to replace my old Covert 2G mms cam that was still working until att dropped 2G. It was still working great in fact :oops: . Anyway been out of the trail cam market for a few years and was hoping for some suggestions or experiences on a reliable mms cam. Att coverage is ok whereIi need the cam, had a covert extension antenna on the 2012 code black and I got 3-4 bars.

I have used both the Spartan Go Cam and the Covert Code Black. While Covert's new 2017 model is much improved I still have to give the edge to the Spartan GoCam. The flash is much better on the Spartan GoCam. I also like the fact that I can add my Spartan GoCam to my existing Verizon Wireless Account for only $5.50 a month including taxes and fees. Covert's Verizon model does not offer you that option yet. I know there are a few other cellular trail cam companies out there so do as much research as you can. I am currently waiting for Spartan's Verizon 4G LTE Camera later this year! I want a cellular trail camera to take a photo quickly, transmit the photo and be ready to take another photo as fast as possible! I love my cellular trail cameras but they miss an awful lot of photos. They are great for bait sites but when you can not bait here in NY it makes it that much harder finding a good spot for your wireless trail camera. Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy.
By hogdeer79
I ordered the blackflash Spartan GoCam from Mike Kirkpatrick at Herd 360. He is a great guy. Answered several questions through text and we even talked on the phone once. His price was nice too..$340 with free shipping.
By rebbie
I ordered the blackflash Spartan GoCam from Mike Kirkpatrick at Herd 360. He is a great guy. Answered several questions through text and we even talked on the phone once. His price was nice too..$340 with free shipping.

You made a good decision. I'm sure you'll be happy! Let us know how it works out
By 27jr
Hogdeet - i agree with Rebbie wrt Spartan edges Covert. Do any of you fellas know if AT&T will allow the something as adding it to your plan any time soon if not already? Also is that the AT&T or Verizon model?
By johnnydeerhunter
You can add ATT to your plan but it's very difficult and more expensive. ATT for a years worth of service is $75 and $45 for 6 months, $25 for 3 months.
By 27jr
Johnny - is that 75 activation? That 25 for 3 months doesn't sound bad depending on what you get
By johnnydeerhunter
That's $75 total for the year, I pay not a penny more for the data.
By LibbyLA
AT&T Buy-A-Session:

$25/90 days/2 GB data (used to be 1 GB)
$45/180 days/2 GB data
$75/1 year/4 GB data
By Roscoe
Johnny - is that 75 activation? That 25 for 3 months doesn't sound bad depending on what you get

There's no activation fee. With ATT you do everything data wise on your own through their buyassession site. Very easy. The premium service through HCO, which allows you to use the GoWireless app will cost you $3-$4/month depending on how many credits you buy at a time. I run mine year around. It cost me about $9.50/month total for data and the app. I'm not sure there's a cell cam out there that does as much for same money.
By 27jr
Rosco - i only run 6 months during deer season. Why buy a camera if you cannot use the app. How do i check out the price for the 6 months and can you still use the app without the premium service? I guess I'm gonna have to learn how this all works as I want all cameras in the field next month through Jan 2018.
By LibbyLA
Phooey. I was almost done with a reply and closed the tab so I had to start again.

Some people are perfectly satisfied receiving texts on their phones, just like in the olden days. They buy the cameras, use Auto, get regular (640 x 480) thumbnails via text and/or email, and they are happy as clams in chowder paying AT&T for cell service. They can control a limited set of settings using text messages.

You can only use the app and the portal if you pay for premium service, which costs $3-4/month depending on how many credits (months) you buy at a time. This is in addition to what you pay AT&T for cell service for the camera. You'll get one month of premium credit free when you set up your camera. Since you are going to run your camera for 6 months, you'll probably want to buy 6 credits, which I think makes the monthly cost $3.50.

2 GB data is a lot of photos. If you use large thumbnails, you'd get over 5,000 for 1 GB, and I was using day pics for my estimate. Full-size photos use more data but you probably won't request that many of those if you use large thumbnails because you'll be able to see what you need to know most of the time.

You will be able to choose large thumbnails (1280 x 960), request download of the full resolution photo, use the app or portal to change settings (a lot more settings than you can change using text messages), update firmware without ever touching the camera, etc.

Here's a chart that compares the features of Auto and Premium:

https://spartancamera.com/showpost/2128

This is what the app looks like:

https://spartancamera.com/showpost/2227

This is what the portal looks like:

https://spartancamera.com/showpost/2229

Hope this helps. In a way it's a little complicated, but that's because it does so much. It's like anything new, you have to learn how it works. The good thing is that once you have all the pieces working together, you should be good to go. There's help available for setup. I strongly recommend that you set it up at your house for at least a week before you put it in the field even if you are very close to where the camera will be. The farther away from the camera you are, the more important that is.
By johnnydeerhunter
Rosco - i only run 6 months during deer season. Why buy a camera if you cannot use the app. How do i check out the price for the 6 months and can you still use the app without the premium service? I guess I'm gonna have to learn how this all works as I want all cameras in the field next month through Jan 2018.

ATT service for 6 months $45
credits for 6 months $21
Total to run the camera with the app for 6 months $66/$11 per month/.37 per day

ATT service for one year $75
credits to run the camera for one year $36
Total to run the camera for a year $111/$9.25 per month/.31 per day
Boly new 4G Cellular Camera

Doesn't look too bad..maybe a bit bright in the m[…]

Another nice PA buck

Should be another good one.

Best Browning for pics/video

Had some reward points and picked up a Recon Force[…]