Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
In a cellular camera environment, two things are at a premium, battery power and bandwidth. The owner wants to conserve both while getting maximum usability.

I have always felt that in Photo mode, that getting a smallish photo for each motion event was preferable than a larger one like 720p (1280x), provided I can then request on demand a larger size. If the small thumbnail is large enough to tell me what the photo is about, I do not have to have the best detail since I can always request a higher res version from the camera.

This helps me in two ways:

-each motion event uses a minimum of bandwidth
-the smaller file sizes send faster and thus conserves battery power.

when we all got our spartan cameras the first thing we did was set the upload resolution to 720 (1280x) because we liked the large photos, but I believe that for most of us the cool factor probably wore off and we changed back to a lower res when we realized we didn't need 25 high res photos of a squirrel each day.

So, now I do not have the 4G Spartan camera so I have not experienced video upload, but does this same theory hold true for video?

1) Would you rather get a photo each event and be able to pull the video on demand
2) Would you rather have the camera send a video clip each event

IMO, option #1 makes the most sense for the same reason I would use a smaller thumb in photo mode for each event.

The next question is: If I request a video on demand, do I really need a 1080p at a high frame rate? Could I deal with 480p or 720p at say 5 or 10 frames per second?

Once again, lowering the frame size and frames per second will reduce the file size and save me both battery and bandwidth, both relating to $$ saved.

Now, if I can accept a lower frame size or frame rate for an over the air delivery of my video, can I live with the fact that this is what was saved on the SD card? Or must I have the 1080p 30fps saved to SD card while the upload clip is crippled to save power and bandwidth?

I do not yet know the capabilities of the Spartan or some of the other cameras that will offer 4G LTE, so I am making some assumptions here.

Another thing to consider is that theoretically 4G LTE can send faster so even though I do not save bandwidth I may save battery power compared to a 3G unit sending the same file.

Here is what I am thinking would be nice for video mode: I would like like to be able to set the frame size and frame rate for the uploaded video. I think 2 frames per second at 800x or 1024x or maybe 1280x could be a very usefull compromise for battery and bandwidth. In other words, do I really need 30 frames per second in an uploaded video clip?

What are your thoughts on this ? (thanks in advance)
I don't have a cell camera yet, but I can see the advantages. You make some good points, I certainly don't need a bunch of 12mp photos of raccoons uploaded to my phone, but it would be great to request better pics of something good. I shoot mostly video, but Video loves bandwidth and batteries so this would be a big consideration for me. Perhaps any cell cam of mine would be for photos only.

I think a photo teaser for each video would suffice.

How does one research the cell signal in a prospective cam location ? Is my iPhone signal a good indicator of what a camera would find usable ?
I had my 4g on video but changed to pic/video mode. So now I get a pic and if it looks like I want to see more I can request a video. I have to wait on the camera to update to get the video. (dont care for that) Dont like not having the option to get a picture when I request it either. I still have all mine set to send the high resolution pictures. Data is not an issue and my external batteries last a long time. (Have not had the 4G long enough to see how long the external will last) I would rather not get a picture that i cant make out whats in it. I think it would take more power to keep requesting higher resolution pics. I dont set mine on feeders or anything like that where I will get hundreds of the same animals. I did have one of my 3g cams on low res for a few weeks and went back because I didnt like the pictures.
Im with option 1 if you are talking about getting the video within minutes of my request.
I would like to have the option of having a good 1080p 60 fps video on the card and send a lower resolution video like a 720 at 15 fps. I think going below 15 fps is just jumpy pictures. My microfire does that and its not good for much. I have to go back and download high resolution videos.
I think whatever Spartan 4g video sent to my phone is good. i have it set to high resolution. The video on the card is the same and is not very good on a bigger screen.
I would like to have a minimum of 15 fps 720p choice with a lower choice 480 15 fps. So its up to me as to how much data and battery power I want to use. 5 to 15 second videos. I would like to have this camera have a 1080p 60fps videos on the card.
Just my two cents
What if the video delivered over wireless is always the same as the one on the sd card? In other words, I believe for most of the cameras that it can't records two videos at once, a lower res to send over the internet and a higher res to save to sd card. I have asked for this and I was told "no".
Not sure about the no answer. My phone always ask if i want to send a lower resolution video when i send my family a video on my phone. They just don't want to or don't know how. Imo
I mean I asked the developers of the camera firmware and was told that the camera can't record video in one res and save to SD card while at the same time transmit a lower resolution to the server. I do not like getting a "no" for an answer. :mrgreen:

I also asked for what you are discussing... that is to have the camera record a video then recode it into a lower res version. I was told, the camera is not a computer. Forget about it .....
I mean I asked the developers of the camera firmware and was told that the camera can't record video in one res and save to SD card while at the same time transmit a lower resolution to the server. I do not like getting a "no" for an answer. :mrgreen:

I also asked for what you are discussing... that is to have the camera record a video then recode it into a lower res version. I was told, the camera is not a computer. Forget about it .....

Just let them know if they dont someone else will. Just a matter of time. Someone may already be working on it. I guess all phones are computers including my old flip phone.
PA Bear and a buck

More PA bucks and a coyote

Boly new 4G Cellular Camera

Could you send me a PM with one of this batteries?[…]

All my cams are in boxes... and plenty of them hav[…]