Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By LWhitman
Does anyone know of cellular trail cameras that have built in GPS tacking in the event they are stolen? We just had 2 Covert Code Black cameras stolen this past weekend and between Covert and ATT reps I'm told there is no way to track them. The first Covert rep I talked to said because they were the 2015 model it wasn't possible to track - then when I inquired if the new 2018 model could be tracked the answer also seemed to be no.

Would love to hear of any other brands of cellular camera that has built in GPS, or even if you've had luck with any add on GPS trackers. We use them on a remote piece of property for security purposes....which in this case didn't prove to be terribly useful.

Thanks!
Well the GPS tracker has to have a way of pinging the outside world. I would need a hidden tamper proof battery the thief can't defeat easily.

Pardon my ignorance but what frequency and network does a GPS tracking device transmit on? what is its range? Does it need an external antenna? If indoors and it can't triangulate with satellites does it render it useless?

What is the cost of a GPS tracking device with additional battery that will last for how long would you say?

Are you willing to pay this extra cost?
All great questions, unfortunately none which I have the tech knowledge to answer. It just seems like there must be some way for the camera manufacturers to integrate this feature. Similar to the "Find my iPhone" function Apple provides. Lose, misplace,or have your phone stolen and you can track it via gps no matter where it's located. And it doesn't require a bluetooth or wifi connection to work.
Yes the cam can be traced as soon as someone activates a new sim card in it. The cam has an electronic serial number programed into the Cam. As long as the old sim is active on your account no one can extend the Subscription. Once the Subscription expires I think it is about 3 month that it stays tied to your account before they release it from your account. The good news is someone has to use a new sim card to activate the Cam but they still have to use that electronic serial number ( IMEI ,,,International Mobile Equipment Identity) to activate the sim. I think you can report the IMEI number as stolen to your service provider and the Cam can never be activated, it will be blacklisted forever.

If the service providers would cooperate one could track who tried to activate a Blacklisted phone or Cam and you could track it right to their door.

As far as the GPS, that would be easy to incorporate with a chip, every cell phone has one (required by Law), even the cheap ones, and the modems may already have one.
The GPS antenna in cell phones is incorporated within the phone case easy to implement into the cam. Gps tracking for the Cell Phone is very good and should be no different for the cam, it just has to be enabled in the software to send the Data over the data stream. Carrier Services such as AT&T and Verizon already offer this service for tracking devices that are on their network, and for all we know they may already have the data but not utilized within the plan. The point is with cams moving to 4g and the technology evolved there is no reason cam manufactures shouldn't take advantage of that technology if for no other reason that to charge a premium for GPS tracking service or to provide the customer with a way of finding their lost or stolen device.

Lets face it, it is indifference not to implement this, they don't care if your Cell Cam gets stolen. They figure that they will get to sell you another, the Service providers don't care because it's to much trouble to bother, Law enforcement don't want to deal with it, fact is you are on your own and it is you that lost the money and nobody except you cares.

It's a fact that if you build a better Mouse Trap people will buy it over the Competition even if it cost a little more. Cell Cams are expensive and more people may be willing to get into them if they knew they could find the cam and the party that stole them.

That's my rant now I will get off my stump! :(
I recently bought the Spypoint Link Dark cell camera and there is an option in the menu to turn on the GPS. Once enabled, you can then see the exact coordinates of the camera on the MySpypoint website. But, obviously, the person who steals the camera turns could turn that feature off, but hopefully it would be after you get his position.
I recently bought the Spypoint Link Dark cell camera and there is an option in the menu to turn on the GPS. Once enabled, you can then see the exact coordinates of the camera on the MySpypoint website. But, obviously, the person who steals the camera turns could turn that feature off, but hopefully it would be after you get his position.

the way everything/anything can be hacked these days, I don't think I would like the idea of people being able to see where my cams are.

it's crazy that anyone is putting their cams out without taking precautions against theft. at the very least, python lock the cam to the tree. better yet, lockbox with python lock as well as padlocks on the boxes. all my cams are put out like this. and being on private land means nothign these days. hell, i won't even leave mine out in my high-fenced backyard overnight without it locked in it's box. DTA-don't trust anyone.
The problem I found with python locks is a hammer and/or screwdriver can defeat one in less that 30 sec. the part that holes the cable in the lock is plastic and you can simply break it then beat the end off the cable. With a pair of Bolt Cutters even faster. If they want to steal it, they will. The best defense is apply all your defenses and put it high enough they can't reach it without a latter. Make them work for it. I use 3/16 cable, swagged ends, and a lock and put it high enough that they will have to drag a latter and Bolt Cutters in the woods to steal it.

I have had one stole and with that one I learned my lesson. Even got a picture while they were stealing it, just didn't get their picture because they stayed out from in front of the cam. I now setup a guard cam high in a tree to watch the cell cam.
By 27jr
Supposedly Spypoint Link cellular has it but I don't know for sure. Bushnell has GPS locator built into it's cellular camera that will show you right were the camera is located. This is a great feature as I was able to see on the app (map of the location) where the camera was 1 week ago and then I moved the camera turned it back on and showed the new position.

Nice feature to have if someone seals your camera and turns it on you will be able to see where the camera is located.
The problem I found with python locks is a hammer and/or screwdriver can defeat one in less that 30 sec. the part that holes the cable in the lock is plastic and you can simply break it then beat the end off the cable. With a pair of Bolt Cutters even faster. If they want to steal it, they will. The best defense is apply all your defenses and put it high enough they can't reach it without a latter. Make them work for it. I use 3/16 cable, swagged ends, and a lock and put it high enough that they will have to drag a latter and Bolt Cutters in the woods to steal it.

I have had one stole and with that one I learned my lesson. Even got a picture while they were stealing it, just didn't get their picture because they stayed out from in front of the cam. I now setup a guard cam high in a tree to watch the cell cam.

all true. but none of my cams are out in areas that others frequent. they are out in remote hunting areas, and then a hike back in the woods. these days most hunters just road-hunt, driving through cut-blocks and up and down the fsr's. it's become rare to see another hunter who walks the woods.
but, it's true, if someone wants a cam bad enough, nothing will stop them. 99% of locks can be picked, there's not much need to try smashing them even. and even easier, is to just carry in an axe or saw and lop the tree, then slide the cam, lock and all, off and be gone with it.
definitely placing higher in trees is a good practice. and black flash helps prevent exposing the cam's location to any nearby people.

gps tracking is a good idea, but then realistically, now you have to go try tracking it down, and stealing it back. likely having to pick/cut a lock or cut a tree down to retrieve it.
something that's kind of a bummer with cell cams, is how the networks are continuously changing. 2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, ….and it isn't long and that very expensive cell cam now doesn't work with the newer, upgraded technologies.

Jay, I think I need a hunting invite .... :mrgreen[…]

Spartancamera thumb nails

thats great.

PA Bear and a buck

That's one thing we don't have I wish we did..just[…]

Boly new 4G Cellular Camera

I know that Boly SG562-D can take color photos a[…]