Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By Woody S
csb wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:34 am If you want a quality picture from a White Flash Cam, go to a Home Brew. If you find you need/want more flash, add a slave.
I'll second that, my homebrews yield better white flash photos than I've ever seen from a commercial camera -- that's why I have 17 out in the field right now. My IR homebrew also takes better photos than commercial cameras. However, my Brownings take better videos than any of my homebrewed video cameras and from what I've seen the Bushnells do also.

In spite of "common knowledge", I've yet to see any evidence that white flash cameras bother wildlife. However, I've gotten several series of photos of red flash cameras spooking deer. Lots of posts recount how big bucks disappear after having their photos taken by a trail camera -- but most people don't realize how mobile bucks are just before and during the rut, often traveling a mile or more looking for does and some never return to the same area. But, if you disagree you're welcome to your opinion.
By WoodsWatcher
Pretty pleased with my white flash cam's pics but am interested in homebrews for the future..if you know of anyone that makes and sells them. Contacted that Fireman Jim guy awhile ago and he's out of the business.
By SwissHunter
I was really excited to see the quality of the video from this camera.. I have setup the camera to take pic & video (14MP & 1080p) the camera will send only the picture, time between picture and video is arround 9/10 seconds. It's too long if you have mooving animals or you place the camera on a trail, by doing so you will have video without animals.
I let you judge the quality, now I have changed the camera location to see if there is any improvement. I have also contacted the Boly support to see if there will be a FW update to improve the night footage.

By WoodsWatcher
Doesn't look too bad..maybe a bit bright in the middle or when the subject is close. Does it have different settings for the brightness? Like- far, near, mid etc like some of my cams have.
Daytime ones look really good though.
By SwissHunter
WoodsWatcher wrote:Doesn't look too bad..maybe a bit bright in the middle or when the subject is close. Does it have different settings for the brightness? Like- far, near, mid etc like some of my cams have.
Daytime ones look really good though.
At the moment this camera doesn't have a setting to change the brightness.
By April Lee
WoodsWatcher wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:23 pm Thanks for the info. I'm still searching for my first cellular cam. And still want one that does color pictures at night though. White flash or leds etc.
There are some cameras take color photos and videos at night, but they don't support SIM card.
By WoodsWatcher
April Lee wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:44 am There are some cameras take color photos and videos at night, but they don't support SIM card.
I'm waiting for a sale(or a good discount code from some place selling it) on the Cuddeback Dual Cell. Plan to get the white flash/strobe separately and stick that in there. The only downside with doing that is no videos at night, but I can live with just color photos 8)
By SwissHunter
I have an update on the battery life.
The first batch of 8 lithium batteries lasted for about a month and a half.
The camera has taken 338 video and 789 pictures. The sms remote control was always turned on and the gps function was not used.

I changed the batteries because the camera was showing 50% power, so they wasn't completly dead.

I received some cheap 18650 batteries so I can run the solar panel with the camera. And then began the problems.
I have put 8 new lithium batteries inside the camera and connected to the solar panel. I was expecting a duration for all the summer but after two days I wasn't getting new pictures, so I tryed to request a picture but I didn't get anything from the camera. Then I went back to the camera and checked all, all the batteries were dead, inside the solar panel and all the lithium inside the camera. I changed all the batteries and let the camera at his location, after three days same thing, no more picture from the camera.

It seems that there is something not working with the camera connected to the solar panel.

I have contacted the Boly support and now I'waiting a reply to see what is possible to do. Now I have tried the camera without the solar panel and it seems that it work normally.

I let you know how it will go.
By llbts12
Swisshunter, are your lithium batteries actually rechargeable? Are they lithium ion? if they are lithium, and not rechargeable, that might be your problem.
By SwissHunter
llbts12 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:30 pm Swisshunter, are your lithium batteries actually rechargeable? Are they lithium ion? if they are lithium, and not rechargeable, that might be your problem.
The lithium batteries are standard Energizer not rechargeable batteries. It’s strange because the solar panel charge the internal batteries inside the power bank connected to it, and the power bank give power to the camera, so they should be threat as two different power supply.
I have another cellular camera from boly, not the same model, but it’s working since March without problem, with the solar panel and the lithium non rechargeable batteries as internal, last time I checked it it showed full capacity for the internal and also for the solar panel.
By April Lee
Swisshunter,

It seems that you are using the non-rechargeable AA lithium batteries, rather than 18650 batteries. . You will need to use the 18650 lithium batteries (the one you used apparently are AA, not 18650) to have longer battery life.

18650 batteries are larger than AA batteries, and the camera can hold only 5 pieces of 18650, but 8 pieces of AA.
Actually, the 18650 batteries are placed horizontally, while AA are placed vertically.

The first release of BG668 does not support direct Solar Panel charge. You can only use BC-02 that comes with its own
lithium batteries. Only the second release later will support direct Solar Panel Charge.

Here is the battery life foumula:
1. 8x Lithium AA batteries = 16x AA Alkaline batteries;
2. 5x 18650 lithium batteries = 30x AA alkaline batteries = 15x Lithium AA batteries.
By SwissHunter
April Lee wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 pm Swisshunter,

It seems that you are using the non-rechargeable AA lithium batteries, rather than 18650 batteries. . You will need to use the 18650 lithium batteries (the one you used apparently are AA, not 18650) to have longer battery life.

18650 batteries are larger than AA batteries, and the camera can hold only 5 pieces of 18650, but 8 pieces of AA.
Actually, the 18650 batteries are placed horizontally, while AA are placed vertically.

The first release of BG668 does not support direct Solar Panel charge. You can only use BC-02 that comes with its own
lithium batteries. Only the second release later will support direct Solar Panel Charge.

Here is the battery life foumula:
1. 8x Lithium AA batteries = 16x AA Alkaline batteries;
2. 5x 18650 lithium batteries = 30x AA alkaline batteries = 15x Lithium AA batteries.
I think that you can’t compare batteries only by type but you should look also for quality, if you use good quality AA lithium instead low quality 18650 rechargeable batteries, the lithium AA will certainly last longer than the 18650.

I have looked for good quality 18650 batteries but at the moment I haven’t find something with a good amount of mAh, the problem is that for fit inside the camera the batteries need to be 65 mm and be pointed head.
If someone know a battery like that let me know.

I have not mentioned, put was supposed, that I’m using the camera not only with a solar panel but with the BC 02, so it’s a solar panel that charge 4 18650 batteries, and this goes to the camera.

My question is: can I use the BC 02 connected to your camera and use batteries inside the camera for make it working when there is no more power on the BC 02? When there will be sun it will charge the 18650 inside the BC02 and the camera will work with the BC 02 power. This should be the correct working mode, right?

You said that the BC 02 come with it’s own batteries, but I have bought two and they don’t come with batteries.

I don’t have understand, the first release of the BG668 don’t support the direct charge from the solar panel, what does it mean? Can I use my camera with the BC02 and batteries inside the camera? What kind of batteries?
By April Lee
BC-02 has it's own battery box. Resellers may sell it with batteries, or without batteries.
The BC-02 can charges only the batteries in its own battery box, not the batteries inside the camera.

Yes, BG668 supports both internal batteries and external batteries at the same time. But with the first release of BG668, the internal batteries cannot be charged by hooking a PV panel alone. The second revision will allow internal batteries (18650 only) can be charged by Solar Panel or DC input.

You can search "18650 battery" on Amazon or Ebay, there are tons of them. It's getting very popular now,
because Tesla and many other electric cars are using it.

Hope this is clear.
Spypoint Link Dark

I purchased this camera a couple months ago and I […]

Night Bats

Good stuff, not often do we see bat photos or vide[…]

Mr. and Mrs. Fox (the Foxes)

https://vimeo.com/367997085

ok, then its aim and distance.