Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By mikeinkaty
Everything works but when I try to send a pic it says “Setting...”. After a few minutes it gives up. My Buyasession with AT&T is active. Also having trouble with the setup switch. Contacts must be corroded.

So, I bought a Spartan 4G. Right out of the box I had trouble with it not connecting to the network. They sent me an RMA and it cost ME $15 to mail it back. ☹️☹️☹️
By LibbyLA
Verizon has pushed back the sunset date to 12/31/2020. That’s AT&T’s sunset date, as well.

Was the firmware in the 4G current? (Just asking, probably was, but it depends on where you bought it. Did you take advantage of the upgrade program from Spartan? Anyway, there is a 9/30 FW update that resolves some connection issues. Tech support would have had you go through that before issuing an RMA, though.)
By mikeinkaty
Sunset? Well, could be?? How could I tell? It’s here in the house now taking pics but not sending pics. It connect fast; showing 5 bars, just not sending or receiving.

Spartan should receive my new 4G today. If they wind up sending a new cam I’m going to ask for red instead of black out. My hogs and deer pay no attention to the red flash plus red light shows up better.

By the way, I got 4 years out of my 3G. One set of 2 six volts gel cell batteries hooked in protected parallel with a 5 watt solar panel. Only used 2 sets of AA batteries inside. After the first 2 years I changed them out concerned that they might leak. Basically they weren’t being used because the external batteries were always fully charged.

Mike
By johnnydeerhunter
Mike is the firmware up to date? Have you tried defaulting the camera? What SD card are you using? Also do you have premium credits?
By mikeinkaty
Johnny. Yes, I deflaulted the camera and formatted the SD card. I did everything they told me to do.

I got it to connect 1 time when I was in an AT&T store and it took one pic and sent it. From then on nothing. When the switch was moved to setup it would not connect to the network. I tried 3 different antennas. Two of theirs plus one of my Yagi’s. My 3G cam connected with all 3.

My old 3G spartan connects fine but will not send a pic. When i take a pic in setup and say yes to send it just says “Setting..”, “can not connect”, “Setting..”, then “Failure to send”.

I tried both here at home in Texas too. Same thing for both. Wonder if there might be a common problem?
By johnnydeerhunter
Where did you purchase your data for the 4g camera? The new cameras are coming with SIM cards that are Spartan SIMs and if you get the data from ATT (buy a session) they won't work.

Is the 3g's cameras firmware up to date? You may also want to try a different SD card, they do go bad. You want a 32gb or smaller, class 10 and 80mbs or faster. I prefer the 16gb Sandisk cards, seem to have the least amount of problems.
By johnnydeerhunter
Also don't think you'll notice a difference between the red IR and blackflash as far as brightness
By mikeinkaty
Jihnnyy, I could not get it to connect with any Simm card. That’s why I went to the AT&T store. We tried 4 cards in it. The SD card I used formatted fine.

Bear in mind that the box had no instructions what so ever. They told me over the phone I would have to get another simm card if I wanted to use buy a session.

Their charge rate is to expensive for me. I would not have bought this unit had they told me this stuff up front.
By Gforce
I had the same thing happen with a 3g cam and it turned out to be the SD Card. Put a 32g card in and it worked. Wouldn't work with the 250mb card needed a bigger card or maybe a different card. The problem WITH THE 4G CAM is it may be 4g only and you may not have a good 4g signal at your location.
By mikeinkaty
Gforce, I tried it while setting under a tower and then again here at home. I’ll try a new Sd card in the 3G. But it’s taken several hundred pics with the card in there now. But it just won’t send them. It’s a 16 gig card. I’ve used that card for a long time.
By johnnydeerhunter
Mike was the 3g cameras firmware up to date? SD cards do go bad, the card needs to be 32gb or smaller and a class 10 with a speed of 80mbs or faster. Things also change with the carriers and a memory card that was questionable specs wise one day might not work the next after a network change. Did you do a hello test in the cameras menu?

With the 4g was the firmware up to date? I'm also thinking it's possible that the ATT store wasn't putting the correct plan on the camera, I have seen that before. I'll be curious to see what they say when they get the camera back. With the plans keep in mind that the Spartan plans include the premium credits so the cost difference is only $2.75 a month if you go with the 3 month Spartan plan, to me well worth the few dollars to not have to worry about the plan expiring or running out of credits Since the Spartan plan auto renew.
By LibbyLA
You can get AT&T SIMs off Amazon for $4.55 that will work with Spartan 4G cameras and Buy-A-Session. I just activated three of them (for GC-A4Gb2) yesterday and today.
Attachments
BEC972B0-300B-4DDF-9A15-DE30FEB24C0B.jpeg
BEC972B0-300B-4DDF-9A15-DE30FEB24C0B.jpeg (156.93 KiB) Viewed 987 times
By mikeinkaty
Why not use the AT&T store down the street?
By johnnydeerhunter
The store employees don't always know about the cameras or even what buy a session is.

Is the firmware for both cameras up to date?
Cold fox

How much snow do you have on the ground?

Yes, your "friend" needs to have an acco[…]

Hyperfire 2 pics

Fantastic photos. I've been a longtime fan of the[…]