Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Moultrie cameras. Note: Please post threads pertaining to cellular cams in the "Cellular Trail Camera Discussion" forum.
By MNBuck
So, I received some adds today in the mail and got a gander mountain flyer. In it they had a Moultrie GM-800i which I have never heard of before. The picture in the flyer looks exactly like the M-880i gen 2 but, instead of having mossy oak bottomland camp it looks like it has mossy oak country break up or whatever, and, it looks like the gen 2 model. They are selling them for $119 and are originally $160. They are 10Mp cameras with the invisible flash radius up to 70 feet. But this is all I can really find on it. Does anyone know if it's even a good camera? I have a $90 gift card to Gander and might as well buy this if its as good as the m-880i gen 2. Here is a link to the camera. Any knowledge you can give me about this camera would be greatly appreciated!
http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/pro ... i?i=869758" target="_blank
By cosmos24
Same camera as the Moultrie 880i GEN 2, just has a G in front of the 880i because it's a Gander Mountain exclusive! :o I think the GEN2 are good cams, great pics at night good pics in the day :) The only problem the gen 2 has is with very low light but it's no deal breaker for me.
By MNBuck
Ok, well like I said the only differences are it has the mossy oak country camo and is 10Mp instead of 8Mp which I think is what is in the m-880i gen 2. The other one I'm looking at is the moultrie game spy M-990Gi trail camera. This one is also a 10Mp camera but, it looks like a gen 1 moultrie camera. Also it's $170 compared to $130 for the 800i.
By cosmos24
I would stay away from the 2014 990i to many problems with total black pics and what not, any of the other cams you mentioned will serve you well, it's all a matter of preference, and your budget.
By Don Sherman
Difference between GM-800i and M-880i.
1. GM-800i is Gander Mountain exclusive.
2. GM-800i has higher enhanced mode: 4224 x 2376 vs (M-880i 3840 x 2160)
3. GM-800i has higher MegaPixels -10MP vs ( M-880i 8MP)
4, GM-800i has Mossy Oak Breakup infinity pattern
Conclusion: GM-800i is better then the M-800i
By Don Sherman
(Corrected Post)
Difference between GM-800i and M-880i.
1. GM-800i is Gander Mountain exclusive.
2. GM-800i has higher enhanced mode: 4224 x 2376 vs (M-880i 3840 x 2160)
3. GM-800i has higher MegaPixels -10MP vs ( M-880i 8MP)
4, GM-800i has Mossy Oak Breakup infinity pattern
Conclusion: Moultrie GM-800i is better then the Moultrie M-880i
By Roscoe
Thanks for the info.

The GM may be a better version of the camera, but it won't likely because of a better/higher resolution/megapixel rating. All of these cameras use software to push mp ratings past what the actual native installed hardware is on them. I've just not seen much picture quality difference on 8, 10, or 12mp pictures as most cams on the market today have 5mp native hardware on board. I see higher mp ratings as marketing more than substance.

I know it's for sure not like higher mp ratings on point and shoot cameras or even smart phones where there is a noticeable picture quality difference as mp's increase.
By Don Sherman
If each camera is set for enhanced mode: A person should see the difference when they print photo in a large size format, poster size for example. The GM-800i should be less grainy then the M-880i. But who is going to print in poster size anyway? LOL.
By LibbyLA
As Roscoe pointed out, anything above the camera's native resolution is wasted. All those extra pixels above the native resolution are just made up. The fancy word is interpolated, but basically, software looks at pixels around a spot and uses that information to make up an additional pixel based on that information.
By Don Sherman
Any good reviews on the GM-800i?I just bought one. I recently bought a cuddeback blackflash but took it back and exchanged it for the GM-800i because of the bad night time blurriness people were experiencing with them. Are the GM-800i as good the M-880i? Its difficult trying to find a quality camera that will hold up in our Northern Minnesota winters brrrrr!

I have two stealth cams STC-U840IR that I was using and they are not dependable, as they fail to record video when it gets 20 degrees out, sound works fine. I'm retired now and i'm just getting leary of buying trail cams then having them fail during winter season. Any recommendations for a trail cam that works when cold?
By Roscoe
Thanks for info. Deceptive marketing?

I wouldn't disagree with that opinion. If a mfg on their spec sheet list what the cameras "native" resolution is, I have no problem with the software driven resolution. It's up to buyers to educate themselves. But, if they don't list the true native resolution...
Done with them!

https://youtu.be/pwU_AGPbBiI?list=UUx6h-dWzJ5NpAlj[…]

3 legged doe visits again

It's been a little while since she came over to vi[…]

https://youtu.be/wpiPNRVmMzU

Bobcat's back.

bad luck this time but sooner or later, you will g[…]