Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
I hesitated about posting this in "HCO ScoutGuard Camera Section," but I noticed other HCO cams (UM535 and UM562, etc.) have been discussed here, and not just ScoutGuards.

So it looks like there's been an announcement about a new cam from HCO:
HCO Outdoor Products is proud to announce the release of its new HCO Spartan SR1 “Big Game” camera. This camera is a “clean sheet” design, which is focused on durability, usability, and above all outstanding performance.
Read more at <http://www.ragingriveroutdoors.com/blog/?p=22>.

Here is the link to HCO's page where you can view the four different versions they are listing so far: <http://www.hcooutdoors.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Spartan>. If you've already seen the mention of a 3G cam in the RROP blog linked above, those won't be available until a later date. The MMS cams shown are 2G, AT&T/T-Mobile only.

I've noticed a couple of things about the design of the Spartan that remind me of a certain high-end brand: the latch for the door, and the "breakup" pattern over the flash array on the IR ("red blob") models. I've been wondering if "Multiple Duty Times" will let the user set different PIR on/off times or time-lapse periods by day of the week. I'm waiting for clarification on that.

Besides Raging River's site, I've seen the Spartan cams mentioned on a couple of other sites, but I don't know what (if any) connection those places might have with HCO. :|
I hesitated about posting this in "HCO ScoutGuard Camera Section," but I noticed other HCO cams (UM535 and UM562, etc.) have been discussed here, and not just ScoutGuards.

"Problem" solved! :mrgreen:
I figured you could zapticate that to make it better. :wink:

Would've thought they would have gone 3G.
I'm 99.9% certain they will, but the device approval might be taking awhile.

In addition to the Reconyx cams that are shown on Verizon's Device & Module Showcase site, I noticed recently that PixController's Raptor is on the list of devices that are pending or have received approval.
i was also looking at the spartan cameras and noticed that they also have a two year warranty
I just hope a Verizon 3g from them is not 1000+ bucks. Heck I can buy a phone at walmart for 14.88 that will send and receive text. Why should the cams be so much more.
I can't answer the "so much more" part (I don't like shelling out big buck$ for a cam, either), but you do get IR flash and motion-detection, which that Walmart phone probably doesn't have. And Reconyx (like BuckEye and PixController) is made in the USA.

I think the Spartans will be "priced accordingly." I haven't checked the HCO site for awhile, to see if anything but the 2G GSM versions are on there. But now it's July, so maybe we'll know more before too much longer.
I can't answer the "so much more" part (I don't like shelling out big buck$ for a cam, either), but you do get IR flash and motion-detection, which that Walmart phone probably doesn't have. And Reconyx (like BuckEye and PixController) is made in the USA.

I think the Spartans will be "priced accordingly." I haven't checked the HCO site for awhile, to see if anything but the 2G GSM versions are on there. But now it's July, so maybe we'll know more before too much longer.

My G42 is only 99.99 and has all that and just needs this phone thing for $14.88. :D I know its more to it than that. :roll: I think the Spartans wil be somewhere in the middle also. From what I have been told it wont be to long just waiting on Verizon to ok the system. That was a few weeks ago when I emailed them. I think they said hopefully July or August I cant remember.
My G42 is only 99.99 and has all that and just needs this phone thing for $14.88. :D
I bet with just a couple'a wires and that Walmart handset, you could have something there. :lol:

I think the Spartans wil be somewhere in the middle also. From what I have been told it wont be to long just waiting on Verizon to ok the system. That was a few weeks ago when I emailed them. I think they said hopefully July or August I cant remember.
I saw the Reconyx SM750 and SC950 on the Verizon Device & Module Showcase site a month or two ago, but Reconyx didn't announce them as available for sale until June 18.
Verizon doesn't seem to have as many companies on its list of manufacturers as there are on the similar AT&T site, but I did notice PixController (Raptor) in there. Not long after that, I saw Stealth Cam's DRONE listed. (Jeez, even Home Depot and Walmart are carrying those now.)
I dunno if the showcase site is for devices that have already been approved, or any that have been submitted for approval by VZW.

I got notified today that my SC950 that Reconyx upgraded to VZW cellular was shipped. The last time I checked UPS, the tracking number hadn't gotten into the system, so I don't know when it's supposed to arrive. I foresee some test sessions approaching. 8)
When I chatted with HCO sales last week, I was told that retail on the VZW Spartan was "over $400" but no indication of how much over. I hope it's closer to $425 than $499.

A VZW camera that works would certainly be worth at least some more than an AT&T camera, but not the $1200 that the Reconyx is or even the $600 or so that I saw some other VZW camera (DRONE?) cost.
I also hope I can get the pics direct to my phone and not to a website an hour later like some others. That will not work for me.
The companies with "exclusive Websites" for storing/accessing photos (and for at least one of them, controlling the camera) made much of that in their advertising. I thought one of them (no names mentioned) had some pretty nice features on the cam, but the extra step(s) involved made me choose other brands. Even a theft alert notification would have to go to the proprietary site. Maybe the site sends a text message to the user's phone for that, but it just seemed kinda cumbersome. :|

I haven't seen advertising like that from HCO, so it adds to my hope that users won't have "go through a middleman" to get their pics.
Spypoint LINK-micro

I updateted allready to latest firmware. Its a 4G[…]

So far so good with it set to low. I'm still getti[…]

Thats a great video. Its not the size of the dog […]

Posing

He's pretty bold strutting around on the last day […]