Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By rebbie
I just noticed today that my 2014 3G battery life is now down to 4. I use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium Batteries. It has been deployed for 5 weeks now and has taken about a Thousand photos or so. I know the Lithiums don't show a real accurate battery life as they will show full power one day then drop rapidly. I am disappointed because I remember more 2013 model always showing 9 on battery life and was deployed much longer. Then again I never really got to fully test the batter life on my 2013 model because it was stolen way to soon! I am going to let the camera go and se how long I get before batteries give out completely.
By RR_Security
If the newer cam has been flailing around trying to send (and resend) messages under poor conditions, I think that could have an adverse effect on your battery life, too.
By bowhtr1
I am getting very poor battery life but im not sure if its because of all the problems or thats they way they are. I dont know what red lights blinking and double pics, whiteouts, not working during the day and all the unanswered 500 codes do to battery life. :(
By rebbie
Well my batteries finally gave out today. Very disappointed to say the least. I received no photos last night and when I sent the #500# code I received a message that said low battery. At least it lets you know that the barrettes are to low to work anymore. Like bowhtr1 said, I had the problem with the blinking red light in the beginning so I am not sure how much of an affect that had on the battery life?
By mattpatt
Batteries and solar panels may be a must for these cams
By BrianWI
3G should not cause excessive battery use EXCEPT in poor transmit conditions. That is a likely culprit. All data services are metro area targetted, leaving the remote areas, hunting areas, with poor coverage.

I don't know much about the cell modules for cams, but if there were a way to default them down to a slower speed (which works better on low signal), it would probably help.
By Gforce
3G should not cause excessive battery use EXCEPT in poor transmit conditions. That is a likely culprit. All data services are metro area targetted, leaving the remote areas, hunting areas, with poor coverage.

I don't know much about the cell modules for cams, but if there were a way to default them down to a slower speed (which works better on low signal), it would probably help.

I have to disagree somewhat, while you are right about excessive battery use in poor signal areas, 3g still uses more juice because it ramps the Amp up in the Cell Phone to maintain connection and because of the way it connects to the network and the packet traffic required to maintain the connection and stay active. A simple packet ping is required to maintain Cell contact with a Tower and Initiate Mobile Transfer to a Candidate tower or PN when the Mobile Cell is on the move. With 3G on the other hand, it also does the above, but must also maintain network login on the data side for IP services requiring the packet size to be much bigger thus requiring more power all the time. It's easy to test this, just turn off Mobile Network (Data) on your cell phone and you will find the cell will run for days instead of hours on the same charge.

Also Power consumption depends on the Radio Driver Code in the modem and how aggressive it is at ramping the Amp in the modem up.

Here was my prediction on Tue Jan 21, 2014

I'm not so sure about about the hype they are putting out about the 3g. For one, it will not improve battery life, it will use more power. If the 3g signal is weak then it will shift back to what we have now and continue to hunt a 3G connection using maybe 50% more of your Battery power in the end.
By BrianWI
It is also a trade off. Faster transmission SHOULD use power for shorter times, but this is lost on the retries, etc. I was reading the "data" thread on someone looking at some errors, seeing the current draw data would be cool.

I also wonder if 3rd party apps get in at the specification level so the problems specific to their applications can be heard.
By Gforce
Well I'm not sure we are getting any trade off in this case when it comes to power consumption, seems the Signal is more stable, but at a cost. The 2014 Code Black takes longer to transmit or even log on to the network than the 2013 Code Black. This tells me one thing when sending pictures, the modem is going "Dormant" to save on power, when it wakes up it has to re-handshake and log back onto the network and establish it's presents for IP destination. I'm not sure what network protocol AT&T uses for 3g or gprs/edge but enhanced messaging like MMS is dial-out server service and doesn't need the data overhead. What I assume is going on is The modem is constantly hunting 3g which is why it takes longer to transmit or even log on to the network. One thing I have noted is I have only been able to Log into a 3g signal 1 time and I was right by the Tower at the time. 95% of the time the modem falls back to an Edge signal. The only problem is, when the Cam wakes up to transmit it still goes hunting for the 3g signal first, thus the delay in transmission.
By BrianWI
That kinda goes to what I was saying, maybe there should be a way to start with edge as a setting, rather than trying 3G and failing over and over.

I do wish I could see a head to head on a couple different 2G and 3G cams.
By Gforce
Good Idea, I went to the Cam today and set it for GSM we'll see how running on EDGE ONLY works.

I do wish I could see a head to head on a couple different 2G and 3G cams.

I'm running a test right now on the two and so far the 2g is whipping butt! :shocked:

The score is 147 to 64 in favor of the 2g Cam for the last 3 days. They are placed right beside each other. Checked the card on the 3g and it's taking pictures right along with the 2g but not sending. I'm going to run the 3g in GSM for a few days then switch it over to the external Grid and see if the problem is only signal.
By rebbie
Well I'm not sure we are getting any trade off in this case when it comes to power consumption, seems the Signal is more stable, but at a cost. The 2014 Code Black takes longer to transmit or even log on to the network than the 2013 Code Black. This tells me one thing when sending pictures, the modem is going "Dormant" to save on power, when it wakes up it has to re-handshake and log back onto the network and establish it's presents for IP destination. I'm not sure what network protocol AT&T uses for 3g or gprs/edge but enhanced messaging like MMS is dial-out server service and doesn't need the data overhead. What I assume is going on is The modem is constantly hunting 3g which is why it takes longer to transmit or even log on to the network. One thing I have noted is I have only been able to Log into a 3g signal 1 time and I was right by the Tower at the time. 95% of the time the modem falls back to an Edge signal. The only problem is, when the Cam wakes up to transmit it still goes hunting for the 3g signal first, thus the delay in transmission.

What you say makes sense as to why my 2014 3G takes longer to transmit a photo then my 2013 2G Code Black did. One thing I like better so far is that I am able to use the camera at one of my hunting spots where my 2013 Code Black would not work at all.
By phade
Food for thought, but my 2012 and 2013 Code Blacks have went from 1-1.5 minute transmission time, to 4 minutes on the same property. I had the cams off the property for about 3 months. I consistently got them within 90 seconds. Now, 4 minutes like clockwork.

I've tried this on different towers within the same region (40 sq mile area), too. All of the places where I was getting pics within 90 seconds is now at 4 minutes.

I have a '14 but I have that set up on security duty and don't get many pics at all. I seem to run right around 4 minutes with that, too.

I'm wondering if At&T did something locally. The cams also take longer to log in to the network when being turned on now.
By RR_Security
I think Phade might be onto something here. I've only got one Code Black, and it's not a 2014, but it hasn't sent a pic in weeks. Another UOVision cam with an AT&T SIM in it, which is probably working off the same tower, has been equally silent. My LTL-5210MM still works, and I'm pretty sure it uses the same tower.

Gotta make sure it's not battery problems or something (haven't gotten any warning messages, but I'm not sure the cams have that feature), but I hope they haven't shut down or redirected "my" tower. According to atttowers.com, there are now only five AT&T-owned sites in my state, and none of those are within ten miles of where I need coverage.
Crown Castle International now manages a bunch of AT&T sites (as of 01/27/14, I think), so I'm going to try and find out what they've got.

These bucks look like the Arnold Schwarzenegger ga[…]

Not unless they have managed to migrate from the T[…]

darn coons

I am going to send you some money so you can go bu[…]

Michigan, Brrrrr ...

Well this past week, I finally put on more clothes[…]