Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
I think you might be surprised at how many people want to do (or are happy with) the text message delivery thing. I was flabbergasted at how many Spartan users weren't even aware of the web portal and the app.
Question: can you get pictures delivered to you without the app? I mean if you don't have a smart phone or iPad/android tablet how do you get pictures? I would suspect that would be a fairly small group of potential users.

That is a great question Ross, I have a desktop computer and a laptop that I take to my cabin on weekends but no smartphone and I was wondering the best way to setup one of these new cameras. Anyone have any ideas? My phone does receive pictures.
Question: can you get pictures delivered to you without the app? I mean if you don't have a smart phone or iPad/android tablet how do you get pictures? I would suspect that would be a fairly small group of potential users.

I've asked this question to Covert and they told me that the only way to get pics from the new cams is via the app or the web portal.

Matt
danno,

The Spartan cameras can be set from the camera to deliver to up to four addresses. You can also use the premium service (web portal) from your laptop, you just won't use the app. Using the portal, you can still send to email/phone as email and you can change settings on your camera remotely from either the portal or just plain text messaging.

IOW, the Spartans don't force you to use the portal/app, but you can use the portal from your computer even if you don't have a smart phone and you can get pics on your regular phone without having to use the app.
By Roscoe

I've asked this question to Covert and they told me that the only way to get pics from the new cams is via the app or the web portal.

Matt

They'll be a percentage of people who'll buy the camera and be pretty unhappy when they find that out, but I would think it would be a small percentage. Not quite sure why they would box themselves in like that though.
By Jake
Yah I hear ya. Was just talking to a guy today who likes the text better.

Brittany@dlccovert said yah app only.

I like the app but not everyone might so I can see the issue arise.

I know I can log into the portal on my laptop/ or where ever I can get a computer with internet and it works just like the app on my phone.

For set up I don't got internet at the other place so I set it up here at home and will see if I has good signal there vs trying to set it up there.

For name changes she said "You need to sync it to the portal then if you did it after you put your camera out and Press the > button the next time you're at your camera. It will say sync to portal.". Makes sense now why my name on the info strip didn't change.

Matt

They'll be a percentage of people who'll buy the camera and be pretty unhappy when they find that out, but I would think it would be a small percentage. Not quite sure why they would box themselves in like that though.

That's true.. I guess they think that if you're buying a cell phone game camera it is expected of you to have a smartphone. I don't know. I guess at the very minimum just about everyone has some form of internet access now and could review the pics online. You wouldn't get the instant gratification of receiving one on your phone but it would work and serve the purpose of someone strictly using these cams to watch wildlife and that is to keep you from having to go into the area where the cam is just to pull a card.

One would think it shouldn't be too hard to have the portal setup where you could also put in a e-mail address to have the pics forwarded but who knows. Covert is just trying to get everything working right now. I don't imagine we'll be seeing any feature additions any time soon.

Matt
Yah I hear ya. Was just talking to a guy today who likes the text better.

Brittany@dlccovert said yah app only.

I like the app but not everyone might so I can see the issue arise.

I know I can log into the portal on my laptop/ or where ever I can get a computer with internet and it works just like the app on my phone.

For set up I don't got internet at the other place so I set it up here at home and will see if I has good signal there vs trying to set it up there.

For name changes she said "You need to sync it to the portal then if you did it after you put your camera out and Press the > button the next time you're at your camera. It will say sync to portal.". Makes sense now why my name on the info strip didn't change.

Jake,

Another way to do it if you aren't in front of the camera is to use the app. Go into settings for that particular camera and tell it to save (you don't have to change anything, just press the save button in the app) If your cam is online and is in real-time mode this will send a update to the cam with same settings. It basically just causes the cam to refresh itself and syncs to the portal. If you're not in real-time mode you'll have to wait however long you have it set before the update will be sent. After you've waited the amount of time required, do a real-time pic request and see if the name on the pic has changed. If not, request another real-time pic. Usually by the second one it will change. I have done this successfully for all three of my cams several times and haven't had to go physically touch any of them.

Matt
By Roscoe
One would think it shouldn't be too hard to have the portal setup where you could also put in a e-mail address to have the pics forwarded but who knows.

Matt

Do that and get an admin/guest password type setup for the app and they'd be set. I have 4 of Johnny's cameras sending pictures to my app. That may be an unusual circumstance, I don't know. What I do know is I don't want johnny's 4 cameras sending me emails. That would suck immensely! :lol: :shocked: :lol:
By rebbie
Thank you everyone for the very interesting discussion here. I gave my camera to my Dad this past weekend who was visiting with me for the day. He brought it home so my brother who lives by him could stop over and set it up behind his house where all the turkeys are. Unfortunately my brother has not had a chance to pick it up yet. :( As of this past Sunday my camera was still working good! Hopefully it continues when I finally get it set up again.
By Jake
I will have to post up my Covert outlook camlock box to 2016 code black conversion with external battery pack. Hopefully this weekend I finish it up.

Took the cam to my friends bow shop to show him. Set it up in his building and it took a pic and sent it. Impressed me as my phone don't get reception in that place.
By rebbie
Yep, start and stop makes sense. I use it all the time for much longer delays at night and very short delays during the day. At first I thought I just wanted straight day/night programmable times, but I like being able to set the two time Windows specifically myself.

Roscoe while the Covert app does have 2 timers where you can set a start and stop time, you can't adjust the trigger interval for them such as you do with your Spartan Camera. I know you have your trigger settings different for the day time and the night time so that the trigger interval is much longer at night and much shorter during the day.

Yes, my brother and I learned the hard way by lo[…]

Michigan, Brrrrr ...

Its winter for sure there. https://vimeo.com/3731[…]

You need to stop eating so much chilli ... :mrgree[…]

Spartan 3G finally quit

Mike was the 3g cameras firmware up to date? SD ca[…]