Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By meyerske
I bought four new 12v 12ah SLA batteries and four Covert 12v-to-6v battery cables. When I connected each cable to a battery (not yet connected to camera), two of the converter boxes smoked (and a third made a pop). Batteries showed a full charge of about 13.15 volts. I popped open the box on one that smoked and it is fried. What gives?
By LibbyLA
This is why some of us use 6V batteries.

There's an old thread here somewhere in which mattpatt showed a board he uses when making 12V to 6V cables. There have been discussions about possible problems with converter cables but it's been at least a year or two so I don't remember the details. I just know that we decided at that point that we'd make things simple for ourselves and use only 6V batteries.

I'm sure there will be people here who can help.
By LibbyLA
By T-post
I bought four new 12v 12ah SLA batteries and four Covert 12v-to-6v battery cables. When I connected each cable to a battery (not yet connected to camera), two of the converter boxes smoked (and a third made a pop). Batteries showed a full charge of about 13.15 volts. I popped open the box on one that smoked and it is fried. What gives?

This certainly doesn't make sense. You hooked up the Covert cables, with no load, and they fried.
It sounds to me like the polarity was reversed; there's several ways this could happen:
1. It's unlikely, but never the less a possibility, that you hooked them up to the battery incorrectly (put positive to negative and vice versa).
2. The cables were manufactured incorrectly.
3. Your 12V batteries were charged with the polarity reversed, which will make the red + terminal be negative and the black - terminal be positive. You can test for the correct battery polarity by hooking up a voltmeter to the 12v battery; it'll read a negative voltage (-13.5V) if it's been charged backwards.

I would contact Covert.

I used quite a few of the Covert 12v-to-6v cables and have never had any issues.
By meyerske
I checked the battery voltage and they read +13 volts, so they weren't charged with reverse polarity. I was very careful to connect the cable with correct polarity when I first connected them. I opened the box of one of the failed cables and it is wired with correct polarity. I will be talking to Covert tomorrow.
By T-post
I checked the battery voltage and they read +13 volts, so they weren't charged with reverse polarity. I was very careful to connect the cable with correct polarity when I first connected them. I opened the box of one of the failed cables and it is wired with correct polarity. I will be talking to Covert tomorrow.

Then I'd say it sure sounds like defective cables....keep us updated on how Covert handles the situation.
By Roscoe
I'm betting on bad cables as well. Another user on another forum had the exact same issue in late May. He purchased one cable, smoked it when he plugged it into the battery. He contacted Covert and they sent him a replacement. He also purchased another to have as an extra. Both of those ended up going up in smoke when he plugged them in as well. He finally just replaced the converter in the covert cable with a part he got off eBay. No issues since.

So I think it's safe to think Covert may have gotten a batch of cables in with some defective parts. I suspect they will take care of you.
By JJR
Hello gang, long time lurker here and finally joined :D Last week I finalized my external battery for my Covert Code Black 12 and took it to my 'tree' and set it up, POOF, up in smoke the converter went. I would have been unpleasantly surprised had I not read this thread. I emailed Covert about it and eventually they sent me a RMA# but I went and bought a 'good' converter and spliced it inline. After this 100 degree weather is over, I'll take it out to my cam. I have the latest FW update. Covert said: "We have replaced a few cables for that same reason and are awaiting results of testing. "
By C.A.M.O.
I've know several folks that just replaced the converter with good results.
X-2 on that!
I just talked with Covert yesterday, and the 12v to 6v converters are now back in stock and available.

Rick! :D
By 27jr
It's been about a month and half since I put the cameras out in the woods with real time on and the following is what I have observed as it pertains to battery savings.

Camera Covert Black Ops 2016 2015 upgrade

Signal level 40% 60%

External battery 6v 12 amp Sonic 12v 7 AH Wildgame Innovations

Battery Level 100% (photo level 9) 80% (photo level 7)

Photos taken (day/night) 44 42

With the server changed to SMS vice network IP (with time to live signals constantly being sent) and whatever software changes made seems to help immensely as before with the IP network setup the 12v 7AH WGI battery would last about 2 weeks and would be down to a photo level 3. Seems that also the 6v 12 amp battery is performing better than the 12v 7 AH WGI battery in which that 2015 camera has a better signal.

I might go ahead and change out the 12V 7AH WGI with 6V 12 AMP sonic.

These bucks look like the Arnold Schwarzenegger ga[…]

Not unless they have managed to migrate from the T[…]

darn coons

I am going to send you some money so you can go bu[…]

Michigan, Brrrrr ...

Well this past week, I finally put on more clothes[…]