Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Covert cameras. Note: Please post threads pertaining to cellular cams in the "Cellular Trail Camera Discussion" forum.
By Iowabucks
#352325 Hey everyone. My Covert Red 40 which is probably a 2013 model, has recently been acting up.

I show up to swap cards and the display screen will not come on at all. If I change out the batteries, (lithiums, alkalines, and rechargables all tried), all I get is a flashing red led on the front of the camera. I got it home and it seemed to come on and work properly, but once I put it out (with the same batteries), it did not record anything but when triggered, it would flash the red led light on the front about 20 times before stopping, and would not power up the display.

Any ideas on whats going on?
By Anthony
#352326 Do you think you have had batteries leak inside and now there is a disconnect on one or more batteries terminals?

My theory is it sounds like a low voltage, low battery issue.

One diagnostic could be to hook up an external battery and bypass the battery compartment. If it works then focus on the battery compartment. Maybe it needs to be cleaned, or like I said if batteries leaks it could be corroded to the point of intermittent connection or no connection.
By Iowabucks
#352341 At first glance it doesn't look corroded but I will look a little closer on the contacts and try the external battery.

I kinda think its a voltage issue too as I put it out the other night with fresh rechargables and it recorded me walking away but not the deer standing in front of it an hour later. I have also tried the alk/NiMh switch too.
By Iowabucks
#352365 As a matter of fact there is two contacts that are corroded from leaky batteries. One at the top and one on the bottom. That's strange because I never took any batteries out that looked bad, but I do remember my hands feeling a little sticky after I changed them a while back. I guess I should have looked at it a little closer before even posting. Thanks Anthony. I will post again when I get it running properly.

EDIT -- Well that wasn't it. The corrosion wasn't that bad, but I cleaned them both with white vinegar and qtips and they looked really good after that. But it still acts the same way. Display wont start. I did notice that whenever the switch is in the setup position, it has a constant flashing green LED on the front cover. But when switched to the on position, the LED flashes red 19 times and stops, until you wave your hand in front again. I will have to dig out my instructions and see if it mentions that at all. But I think I will be making a call to Covert in the morning.
By Iowabucks
#352369 They didn't even want to help me troubleshoot it. Just threw me an RMA number. I wanted to find out what the different flashing LED's meant. Maybe I will just have to call they back and ask that one.

I still want to try the external battery idea yet before I send it in. Although i'm unsure about what type of plug to use. Guess I will just see what I have and give it a try. I still feel like it's a battery contact issue. I cleaned a,, the corrosion off both contacts, but the one negative contact (spring) looks clean but it's not shiney anymore. Could that be the issue? maybe sand it off a little? Or would that make it corrode easier?
By johnnydeerhunter
#352380 You can scuff all the contacts up with some fine sandpaper including the ends of the springs. Then just put a tiny amount of mineral oil on the contacts to help with future corrosion. Oil it like oiling a gun, apply the oil and then wipe off as much as you possibly can, a layer will still stay attached to the metal. You can't always see corrosion, sometimes it's just there.
By Anthony
#352386 Couldnt you take a volt ohm meter and touch the contacts (without batteries), assuming you know how they are connected, the pattern, and test for continuity? This would allow you to determine if there is a break in the connection behind the spring.
By Iowabucks
Anthony wrote:Couldnt you take a volt ohm meter and touch the contacts (without batteries), assuming you know how they are connected, the pattern, and test for continuity? This would allow you to determine if there is a break in the connection behind the spring.

I will try that Anthony. Although I know how that will turn out now.

I plugged in a 6 volt external battery pack and the display came on every time. So i'm assuming it's the spring contact that's not shiny any more because of corrosion. I didn't see any loose wires on any of the battery terminals so maybe I just need to sand off what little corrosion is on the end of that spring.
By Iowabucks
#352852 Got it back but not so thrilled about the work they did. I got it back in less then 10 days , so I have to give them that. The tech working on it must have been half asleep that morning.

The Red 40 has a battery contact bar on the bottom and on the top. 4 screws. The bottom bar was put in place but completely missing the two screws that hold it in place. I found one of the screws behind the bar. The top bar has a few electronic components besides the battery contacts. 2 screws. It looked like they replaced the entire bar because the wire from the front side to the back had new heat shrink tape on it, but the insulation was melted completely thru in a couple places. It had only one screw holding it in and it was a larger silver screw rather than then original black screw. Half stripped out already, and no second screw. But it was totally stripped out.

I can understand someone maybe missing a couple screws on an off day. But now it's triggering every 30 seconds, or whatever the trigger time is set for no matter what the sensitivity is set on.

So now it looks like I have to send it back...again.

At least they didn't charge me for it. Hope I get that lucky again...and they fix it right this time.

This is the only commercial cam I have, but I'm missing the fact that I can easily fix my own problems with my homebrews.
By Iowabucks
#352922 Not in time lapse. I reset it to default settings but it still wants to snap picture after picture at the trigger interval you have it set for… regardless of what PIR sensitivity setting it is on.
By johnnydeerhunter
#352924 Maybe try pulling the batteries for a couple of hours, leave the camera turned on when you do.
By Jake
#353004 Covert has firmware updates for that camera on their website.

Put it facing a wall and see if clicks off pics every certain second time interval.

I'm into Coverts like a home brew guy. My latest contraption is a 2014 illiminator (white flash) converted to a red flash(2014 red40 flash array) with a 2013 code black cell cam lens board swap.