Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
By mikeinkaty
#353708 Bud of mine has been having trouble getting a warranty replace cam that works. The 4th one they sent was 4G without real time control. Do they have a 4G cam with that option?

Does anyone sell a cam with real time control?

My 2 or 3 year old spartan cam has never missed a beat. Using same external battery (with solar panel). At 20k pics now. I throttled it back quite a bit this past January. About 10 pics a day now.
By johnnydeerhunter
#353709 The newer cameras with the transmitted video feature don't have real time anymore.
By T-post
#353710 I'll say that I really like the transmitted video feature....I didn't think I'd use it, but I actually use it quite often. As a somewhat substitute for real time picture request, I evenly space 9 of the scheduled events to send me pictures between sunrise and sunset.

Pat
By Gforce
#353711 I personalty won't buy one of the newer ones, that with the problem of getting it activated on the right unlimited Verizon plan and working like it should. Those with the older unlimited Verizon Plans are good to go. There are 3 unlimited Verizon Plans now and it depends on which one you have is my understanding.

Hco lost me when they did away with real time so now i'm looking for something else, maybe Ridgetec?
By T-post
#353712 I can't comment on the Verizon models, as mine are AT&T.
By mikeinkaty
#353714 If I ever get another cam it will have to have the Real-time option. I am AT&T by the way.

Why did Spartan drop that option? None of their cams have it anymore? If not, then that was a big step backwards!

Does anyone have that option?

On the Startan 4G cams - is that still using 850 MHz for the carrier signal?

Mike
By mikeinkaty
#353715 Ridgetec has one that supports real-time. The description sounds just like the Spartan HCO 3G cam. $349.
By picdic
#353718 what are you meaning by "real-time"? changing settings remotely? and making it take a pic right then from your phone?
i know my covert does that. although i can't use any of those features up here in canada. apparently they don't work with our networks. my cam is a 1014 model, so maybe the new ones have went away from it as well, not sure.
By johnnydeerhunter
picdic wrote:what are you meaning by "real-time"? changing settings remotely? and making it take a pic right then from your phone?
i know my covert does that. although i can't use any of those features up here in canada. apparently they don't work with our networks. my cam is a 1014 model, so maybe the new ones have went away from it as well, not sure.

Real time is the ability to make settings changes and picture requests and have them happen instantly. Spartan is considering making it an option again with the new cameras.
By Gforce
johnnydeerhunter wrote:Real time is the ability to make settings changes and picture requests and have them happen instantly. Spartan is considering making it an option again with the new cameras.

I have no use for video on a feeder cam, all my video is for Trail Cams. It would be nice to pull video if something interesting showed up at the feeder, but not at the expense of Real Time.
By johnnydeerhunter
#353742 That's why I like the photo + video option. It takes the photo and video but only sends the photo, then if you want to see the video you request it like an HD image. It's also nice that the new cameras will send all the pictures if the camera is set to burst mode (photo only)
By johnnydeerhunter
#353743 Gforce, what do you use real time for? I know some people use it to check the weather.
By Gforce
#353756 Yep, I check the weather along with Temp, also check deer that are not at the feeder but out in the green field. It's my eyes when I am not there and real time allows me to check when convenient. Also I can keep tabs on deer at the feeder or deer out in the field between trigger times. This way I can set longer trigger times so when there are 8 or10 deer at the feeder I won't get a lot of uninteresting pictures. I run extra Flashers and can see much farther than the sensor on the cam can pick up, real time allows me to view deer that are not at the feeder. The Cam can view most of the Field even when nothing is at the feeder. When I allow Hunters to go hunting I can hunt along with them by seeing what they see. I can see where it would be very useful to hog trappers and for Security Cams. I put the Cams on Coon Traps and watch the traps and put a long trigger time on them so I don't get so many pictures after I catch one but I can check on the progress. I gang trap at the feeder and may have as many as 5 or 6 traps in view but not where the cam sensor can pick them all up, but with Real Time I can check them all. I can also turn the Cam off and on when I want to.

The point is, I have control of the cam and don't have to wait for an event to control it.