Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Cuddeback cameras.
By rebbie
#342556 Just wanted to let anyone out there thinking about getting the E3, not to waste their money. Just get the regular IR model the E2. The camera functions well and takes photos quickly but the night time photos have so much motion blur that unless the deer is standing perfectly still, you can not make out the deer very well. I had it out for a while last fall and was so disappointed with the photos that I just took it down and let it sit in my house. I finally decide to call Cuddeback and complain, but basically they told me that's the way the photos are with the Black Flash Camera. I was out in Iowa last fall and I saw photos at night from my friend's E2 Cuddeback and they were way better! I asked if I could just trade my camera in for an E2 but they said no, but for 25.00 they would convert mine to a regular IR flash basically making it an E2. I decided to do it and pay the 25.00 instead of having a useless camera. I do like the way the camera functions and works. Lots os options you can adjust. So if you want to buy a Cuddeback just get the E2. I'll try to post an update when I get the camera back. Cuddeback customer service seems to be pretty good so far. They emailed me and let me know they received my camera and should have the modification done within a week and will email me to let me know when it ships back to me with a tracking number.
By Mjn1979
#342567 I had the opportunity to use an e3 when they came out a couple years ago. The big issue with the night pics is when the cam is using 1/4 second shutter duration which opens the door for monstrous amounts of motion blur. However, setting the cam up in close to a trail, feeder or scrape will help speed up the shutter speed as the flashback to the light sensor will adjust to faster shutter speeds. Setup in an open area where deer or other animals are further out your gonna get that 1/4 shutter speed and bad blur. I also chose to keep the pir sensing to the narrow as the animal being centered helps with the flashback to the light sensor. It would be great if cudde could male a setting to allow the camera to start off with a faster shutter speed, although that would reduce the flash range.
By rebbie
#342882 Well I got my E3 back and they converted it to an E2.They also upgraded the firmware on the camera. I am happy to report that the nighttime photos are way better now! Motion blur has been reduced drastically! Very happy now! If you are trying to decide between an E3 or an E2 I would go with the E2.
By picdic
#354338 so is it safe to say that nobody is buying new cuddebacks anymore?
there hasn't even been a post to older threads since 2016.
I know I bought one in 2015/16 and returned it the following day. was out of town and in a hotel, and bought at a cabelas. sitting with it that night, did not like the build of it at all, and looking up info on it, the night images were completely useless.
and these things aren't cheap either.
By rebbie
picdic wrote:so is it safe to say that nobody is buying new cuddebacks anymore?
there hasn't even been a post to older threads since 2016.
I know I bought one in 2015/16 and returned it the following day. was out of town and in a hotel, and bought at a cabelas. sitting with it that night, did not like the build of it at all, and looking up info on it, the night images were completely useless.
and these things aren't cheap either.

My E3 which I sent back to Cuddeback to be Converted to an E2 has worked very well for me. I ran the camera mostly all year long. I will get back in the woods soon.