Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
By Leed1315
#354512 I have 3 mp8 Black covert regular cams. I bought these cams a little under 2 years ago. Overall they've been good cams but one seems to be taking pics continually during daylight hours even with nothing there. I tried calling support last week and couldn't get anyone and left a message. As far as I know i didn't get a call back. Today I try again and after being on hold over 15 minutes I give up. I try the live support and they respond back. I explain to them my issue and they diagnose as a bad sensor and say it probably needs replaced. They then tell me there is a $25 repair charge, and I will pay to ship it in and back according to their policy. I then told them its been under 2 years since my purchase and asked if warranty did not cover it, not that $45-50 that it would have ended up being would have been unreasonable but if you get a warranty then you want a warranty. He told me the camera was made in February 2016 and the warranty was up about 5-6 months ago. I said when it was made and when it was bought is 2 different things. He never asked if i filled out a warranty card or anything. There policy states that is 2 years from purchase not manufactured date. The truth is I forgot and never filled out my warranty card and would have told him that if he had asked because I'm not going to lie over a deer camera but he didn't ask or care when I told him it hadn't been 2 years since I purchased them.
By Anthony
#354514 Is there any way you can dig up a receipt from where you purchased it? It sounds like run away. Does it do it only during the heat of the day ?

I would bring the camera inside and test it in the house in a controlled environment.

First arm it in normal PIR mode and put it in a cool closet facing the wall. Lets determine if it takes pic all by itself (like time laps). If not then put it on the counter in the house where its cool and allow it to take your photos coming and going. If there is no run away then it could be heat related.

Mount it somewhere where there is no brush or anything to trigger like your garage as you drive up. If still no run away then maybe you had have limbs in the periphery triggering it but they are not in the photo.

If it senses wider than the photo field of view, you can add vertical strips of electrical tape and tape off a small section of the fresnel on each side, essentially narrowing its sensing width.

I would do these things before I went to all the trouble to send it in.
By Leed1315
#354516 I felt like it did it most of the year this year I just never got around to messing with it. Last week I set all 3 of the same cameras out for a couple hours at my house before I took the other 2 to the woods. It had over double the amount as the other 2 that were beside it. It still took pics when someone went in front of it but also multiple pics with nothing. Its only in the daylight and seems like there have been days it didn't do it. The days it did it would be like a time lapse from around 10-4pm.
By Anthony
#354517 So, burst mode is OFF right?

Could time laps be on for real? Is the a time lapse start and stop time ?
By Leed1315
#354519 There is a time lapse but its off and a start stop but its off also. Like I said its not every single day but seems to be when the sun is out. I didn't remember a day where it done it where it wasn't sunny in the pics. There sensitivity is actually by degrees. Normal is (10-80F) Low is (<10F) High is (>80F) Then there is off. You think I should try a different setting? All my other cameras are on the normal and no issues.

On a side note when i ran homebrew they would do this at times if the board battery got low. I have changed batteries before also so don't think that is it.
By Jake
#354525 Coverts can be trigger happy I will admit. Full sun, just right they can get trigger happy. Then sometimes they are fine when you think it will be false trigger city. (I run some cams over /in water in ponds)

I would try the obvious like make sure area is clear of weeds or sticks or anything you think can move and set the cam off. Step back 15 feet and look around again. Also make sure no ants are there. I seen them set off cams crawling on the sensor cover. Maybe face it a different way if possible. Angle it a little different try too.

As said before make sure time lapse is off. Go back and check it twice to make sure.

Mess around with the sensitivity. Try low first and see if that helps then high. It's based off tempature.

I think your cams are fine and just had a perfect storm(sunny/time of day/sun angle and something moving in the sensors range)

Its Coverts buzy time of the year. No excuse I know...

But try them things and if not any better I will get ahold of the people you talked to at Coverts bosses.

Thanks and sorry you are having some troubles.
By Leed1315
Jake wrote:Coverts can be trigger happy I will admit. Full sun, just right they can get trigger happy. Then sometimes they are fine when you think it will be false trigger city. (I run some cams over /in water in ponds)

I would try the obvious like make sure area is clear of weeds or sticks or anything you think can move and set the cam off. Step back 15 feet and look around again. Also make sure no ants are there. I seen them set off cams crawling on the sensor cover. Maybe face it a different way if possible. Angle it a little different try too.

As said before make sure time lapse is off. Go back and check it twice to make sure.

Mess around with the sensitivity. Try low first and see if that helps then high. It's based off tempature.

I think your cams are fine and just had a perfect storm(sunny/time of day/sun angle and something moving in the sensors range)

Its Coverts buzy time of the year. No excuse I know...

But try them things and if not any better I will get ahold of the people you talked to at Coverts bosses.

Thanks and sorry you are having some troubles.

I don't think its stuff moving because it normally would be daylight only and the little test I run here at the house last week was on a fairly open spot. A little after season when i last had the camera out I had 100's if not 1000's of pics on the last time I pulled it. I quickly scanned through it and though not perfectly consistent it was fairly consistent. It seemed to normally start within an hour and end within an hour and the pics were steady. It was in a green field that had gotten tall so the weeds could have been a possibility but I don't remember it ever really being at night and the best i can remember the sun would be out. I think I'll try the low setting and see what I get and maybe use the camera in a mostly shady place and see what kind of results I get. I double checked the settings when Anthony asked me about it and even restored them to default. Maybe I can get it working a little better.

I did go back and find that I purchased all 3 in November 2016. It was on ebay but new from Walnut Creek Outdoors.
By Anthony
#354540 Just follow my procedures I outlined above. Might sound crazy but could surprise you too.
By Leed1315
Anthony wrote:Just follow my procedures I outlined above. Might sound crazy but could surprise you too.

I did get around to messing with it and wanted to update my post. The first thing I wanted to say is that Covert actually did return my call from the time I tried calling them. My phone doesn't show voicemails and somehow I guess i missed it when they called.

I put the camera out inside my house and it worked fine with no continual pics and only took pics when there was activity. The problem seems to be sun related. Anthony would covering up the lens help that or just try it on low sensitivity?
By deerfever7
#354742 I have also experienced poor customer service from Covert. Wireless camera took hundreds of false trigger images which uses up the allotted number of images on their monthly data plans. Was told to wait till the next month when my subscription re-ups, and see how the camera works then. Took three months to have my plan deactivated.
By picdic
deerfever7 wrote:I have also experienced poor customer service from Covert. Wireless camera took hundreds of false trigger images which uses up the allotted number of images on their monthly data plans. Was told to wait till the next month when my subscription re-ups, and see how the camera works then. Took three months to have my plan deactivated.

wireless? are there "wired" trailcams?
there can be numerous causes of false triggers though, that aren't necessarily camera issues. sensitivity set too high. and mostly, it's usually a branch, leaf, or grass slightly moving in the breeze that can set it off. my recon is out now, and all it's gotten pretty much is videos of nothing. but it's not false triggers, there's stuff moving in the wind. and something I've never had happen before, the two locations I have set it so far, the tree itself that I've mounted to occasionally moves in the wind and sets it off.
I've never assumed my cams have issues with false triggers. I always assume it's wind or even something small, like a mouse or bird, maybe setting it off.