Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By Leed1315
#355187 Last February I came across a good deal on 5 of the 3G black flash SR1-WCDG cameras. They all function and take pics great but I have had continual issues with them sending pics. Of the 5 I bought I have only had 4 of them with wireless service so far. I just haven't had the need for 5 cams out yet. Of those four one of them has worked perfectly the entire time. It has never missed pics or stopped sending. The other 3 have been just completely in-consistent. The main issue is that I will take the camera set it up and everything works great. It sends the test pic and I go home and everything is working fine. Normally from there I get anywhere from 2 days to a week with it doing good and then it just stops. I put one out on the 7th and it worked for 2 days and then nothing. Then today out of the blue over a week later starts sending to the portal again. I really don't know what to make of it. The camera has at least 3 bars of signal and I have had the one that works perfect at the same spot the one that is having issues now and it never missed a pic. There may be a new firmware for it but they all have the same one as the one that isn't having issues. I talked to a Spartan rep last year and they mentioned something about ATT changing signals or something like that but I couldn't understand if that was the case why it didn't do it to all the cams. Any one have any thoughts?
By johnnydeerhunter
#355193 I would make sure the firmware is up to date and that you are running a class 10 SD card in them that's formatted in the camera. Are the pics numbered in order on the portal or are there gaps? Also make sure that the time zone is set on the app.
By Leed1315
#355194 I will try and call them on the firmware this week. I'm not sure if all my cards are class 10 but I did format it in the camera. I set the time but can double check it. The pics are in order. When it quit it was at 30 and when it came back on it was at 180
By Anthony
#355214 I couldn't believe it could it can happen but carriers will adjust bandwidth and connection parameters at night, changing them to suit the majority in areas like promoting urban over rural at night. Unfortunately its the camera manufacturer which will get the blame here when it is not their fault.

you may find your camera will work better in the day then begin to fail at night. I have seen this with my own cameras in areas where signal is iffy to begin with. this is likely the carrier monkeying with its towers.

Now if after a time the camera no longer sends a status report then it is likely something else.

Check power first. when voltages drop below a certain level the cellular function may suffer then stop.

when this happens, look on the SD card and see if the camera continued right on taking photos. If so then the camera is not locked up, but instead it is either low battery or very poor signal but not lockup.

Did you check the photos on the SD card after the "lockup event" ? Had the camera continued taking photos ?
By Leed1315
#355224 1.As far as the power goes I'm using 6v external and it had only been out 2 days when this happened so it shouldn't have been an issue.
2.When this happens it doesn't send pics or a status report.
3. I haven't been to the camera since it happened. The pics on the portal showed that the less pics # was 30 and when it started back it was on 180. Since it started back all the #s have been in order. So yes it should have been taking pics the whole time. Any of the other times it has happened the camera never quit taking pics. So the camera itself never locked up
4. Spartan did say that it could be ATT changing things a you said but shouldn't that affect all my cams not just 1 or 2? The signal isn't that bad, its usually at least 3 bars. Right now my last update shows 4 bars.
By Leed1315
#355225 I just checked my status update again and it is actually only showing 4.8 volts. I don't know how that would have happened unless my 6v charger is bad. They have normally been lasting a couple months. I only put 4aa when I use my external. I guess I'll have to try and go check the camera and see whats going on this weekend.

Update my charger doesn't seem to be working right. I had a battery I discharged and hooked it up and the charger showed full. Maybe I'll luck up and it just be a low battery. I haven't used those 6v since last season. I was kind of surprised when I pulled them out and the charger showed full. I ordered another charger tonight.
By LibbyLA
Leed1315 wrote:I just checked my status update again and it is actually only showing 4.8 volts. I don't know how that would have happened unless my 6v charger is bad. They have normally been lasting a couple months. I only put 4aa when I use my external. I guess I'll have to try and go check the camera and see whats going on this weekend.

Update my charger doesn't seem to be working right. I had a battery I discharged and hooked it up and the charger showed full. Maybe I'll luck up and it just be a low battery. I haven't used those 6v since last season. I was kind of surprised when I pulled them out and the charger showed full. I ordered another charger tonight.

I had a 6V battery this weekend that showed 6V when metered, showed 6V when I put it in a Spartan battery box, then dropped like a rock to 4.0 V. Think there's something wrong with that battery since there were other 6V batteries charged by the two chargers we used and they all worked fine.

You may have a bad battery or something funky with the charger. I run all my cameras with a complete set of AA rechargeables, just in case. That will usually get me through the two or three weeks until I can get back to the camera. There have been too many times when I've had a bad connection to a battery terminal or from cable to camera or the cable has fallen out or gotten pulled out.
By Anthony
#355231 Moral of the story with cellular cameras,

check power first, then check signal, search sd card to see if camera still working during outages, look for missing sequential file names on the portal gallery.

Usually one of those is revealing.
By Leed1315
#355313 Little update
My charger was bad. I ordered another and the battery I crossed out to run dead shows red and is charging fine. The battery I pulled out of the cam that showed the low battery is still showing a full charge so I'm not sure exactly what was going on. Even with the cam showing low voltage it never stopped working, and it continued taking pics after it came back online all the way until I changed the battery. All the pics for the 7 days it didn't work were on there. It now has another battery and is still working fine but that is only 2 days into a battery change so only time will tell.

I put up a 3rd camera Saturday also. It is in a place that has a little less signal, 1 bar to be exact. The camera worked fine upon setup and the first night sent pics, with through the update, and the scheduled event. Half way through night 2 it stopped and no update or scheduled event. I'm assuming this is because of the 1 bar signal but its always been a consistent signal even when i hunt the area and use my phone. Maybe I just can't expect it to work right with 1 bar but it is the same issue that i have had whether its 1 bar or full. The cam works a short period and then stops. Sometimes it comes back up out of the blue on its own and sometimes it doesn't.
By Anthony
#355365 Like I have mentioned before, carriers change the availability of signal and bandwidth on various towers at night and day to meet the needs of the majority. you can be a winner or a loser. Just depends.