Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By Anthony
Gforce wrote:The good news is you can run the Spartan without internal batteries, simply unhook the old discharge external battery and hook up a new charged external battery and the cam will reboot and start taking pictures again, you don't even have to mess with the cam.

The Ridgetec Lookout will also function exactly the same as you describe, since all settings are stored on the server. As it boots it automatically downloads the latest settings and sends a pic to the portal which gives you a notification in the mobile that not only is the Lookout responding but you can then adjust the aim if need be.
By Anthony
#355242 Would there be any interest (just thinking outside the box) in an external battery enclosure that accepted AA or D cells rather than Sealed Lead Acid ?

My thoughts are that not everyone may have a Batteries Plus store nearby or place where they can pick up an SLA locally. Everyone will have a place to buy disposable Alkaline or Lithium.

Imagine a water proof enclosure that accepts say 24 AA at 12V (or 6V is possible too). A person could run NiMH or other rechargeable type batteries.

Suppose the cost for this enclosure without batteries is half the price of these battery systems on the market.

In a pinch a person on their way to camera could stop and buy a pack of alkaline batteries and get the power pack going.

Any thoughts ?

If the camera will run say 6 weeks on 12 AA internal then add 24 more AA external to triple field battery life fairly cheaply. Then use rechargeable to save cost in the long run if so inclined.
By LibbyLA
Anthony wrote:Would there be any interest (just thinking outside the box) in an external battery enclosure that accepted AA or D cells rather than Sealed Lead Acid ?

My thoughts are that not everyone may have a Batteries Plus store nearby or place where they can pick up an SLA locally. Everyone will have a place to buy disposable Alkaline or Lithium.

Imagine a water proof enclosure that accepts say 24 AA at 12V (or 6V is possible too). A person could run NiMH or other rechargeable type batteries.

Suppose the cost for this enclosure without batteries is half the price of these battery systems on the market.

In a pinch a person on their way to camera could stop and buy a pack of alkaline batteries and get the power pack going.

Any thoughts ?

If the camera will run say 6 weeks on 12 AA internal then add 24 more AA external to triple field battery life fairly cheaply. Then use rechargeable to save cost in the long run if so inclined.

SLA batteries are cheap on ebay and Amazon. 12 Ah 6V are typically $15 apiece or less, shipped, 18 Ah 12 V should be $25 or less, shipped.
By Anthony
#355264 So your assumption is the entire planet would prefer to order an SLA off amazon. that might work.
By LibbyLA
Anthony wrote:So your assumption is the entire planet would prefer to order an SLA off amazon. that might work.

Noooo, but it's worth people comparing the two options and figuring out what's better for them. Your initial comment makes it sound like SLA just isn't an option if you don't have a local battery store and that's simply not the case. There are several battery stores where I live and I haven't bought even one trail camera battery from any of them. It's just more convenient for me to order them and have them delivered, and it costs less, too.

from earlier message:

Anthony wrote:My thoughts are that not everyone may have a Batteries Plus store nearby or place where they can pick up an SLA locally.
By 27jr
#355285 I bought 6v/12ah/20 EXP6120, EXPERTPOWER batteries for replacement of my 6v sonic batteries. Bought these online Amazon which is cheaper than a store in the area where I live. Plus I get to read reviews on how long they last. Thanks bringing that up before Libby.
By Fl_Cracker
Anthony wrote:What are the best online SLA brands to order?

I've been using SLA batteries for about 8 years now on my homebrews and the one I found to be the best is the SigmasTek.
https://www.batterysharks.com/SigmasTek-SP6-12-p/sp6-12_b6-12.htm
I get the F1 terminal size because if you have cables with F2 & F1 connectors both will still fit on a F1 terminal. It never snows down here so I dont place them in boxes just set them on the ground beside the camera /remote array.
By Gforce
#355307 I think the real problem with SLA batteries is finding a reasonable cost box and figuring out how to strap it on a tree. I went with this solution but it's good for about two years and then the plastic deteriorates from UV light. If they were is direct sun they may not last that long. If you pulled your cam's each year they may last much longer.