Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
By Woody S
#355659 "seems to indicate that "heat" is not the determining factor "

Here's a quote from the Wikipedia citation -- An individual PIR sensor detects changes in the amount of infrared radiation impinging upon it, which varies depending on the temperature and surface characteristics of the objects in front of the sensor.[2] When an object, such as a human, passes in front of the background, such as a wall, the temperature at that point in the sensor's field of view will rise from room temperature to body temperature, and then back again.
By picdic
Woody S wrote:The PIR sensor picks up the difference between something warm moving in front of it and the temperature of things in the background, so anything that's well insulated may not be detected. If you've seen deer walking around or bedded down with a thick layer of snow on their backs you can see how well insulated they are. Deer and most other mammals that are active in the winter are much better insulated than we are, even with our warmest winter clothing -- don't try spending a winter night at -20 laying in the snow like a deer or coyote. The control boards for homebrewed trail cameras can be adjusted to vary the sensitivity, but none of my commercial cameras have that adjustment.

that doesn't explain how grass moving from a breeze will set a cam off though. or rainfall and snowfall setting off a cam. movement sets them off more than temperature variances it seems.
By Anthony
#355678 I am biased but so far my Ridgetec lookout is proving to be very reliable and stable. It still needs improvement like any camera but I am pleasantly surprised at the long term stability of the platform knowing the complexity of what is going on under the hood.