Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
By picdic
has anyone noticed if they are actually performing THAT much better? given the dedicated lens strictly for night time.
are their night pics and videos a big improvement?
I think it's mostly the brownings that have offered these, although there are one or two other brands that have a dual-lens also.
By FredG
Probably the biggest advantage of a dual lens system is that the daylight camera can be designed with a proper IR absorption filter below the lens and above the cmos sensor (a better performing arrangement than the reflecting cut filter on the adjustable arm) and the night camera can be designed with no cut filter at all. The whole thing is probably about cost neutral to the manufacturer... no swing-arm mechanism to pay for and have fail causing returns in exchange for a second inexpensive cmos/lens combo. A plus for us and the manufacturer both in the elimination of a common failure point but an advertising plus and rationale for price jacking by the manufacturer. The difference in IQ performance is likely non-existent, but is theoretically possible if a monochrome cmos sensor more sensitive to IR is used for the night lens.
By Anthony
Actually adding a second lens, CMOS and circuitry to control it does add a significant cost to the camera.

The main reason for designing this way to use a CMOS optimized for day and one for night, normally a lower MP for the night sensor. Yes a nice byproduct is the loss if the mechanical filter arm.
By picdic
but does a dedicated lens just for night actually produce better results? just wondering if it's legit, or just another advertising gimmick like the 4K cams.
it seems like it should be better at night, but I also have a hard time believing it can get much better than what is already available. I think tcams have just about hit their peak, quality-wise. we'll see more 4K, then an 8K should just be around the corner, as those TVs are now coming, the usual hype-crap of MP increase, we should be seeing 50MP cams next year, etc.
not sure how much better they can improve battery life. probably could still improve file sizes. but really, how much better can they really get? and do they need to get any better? dual lens, I never thought we'd see something like that on a tcam, and i'm not sure it's even a beneficial thing.
funny, that they can add an extra lens to a cam, but then the mic still has issues and the temperature readings are whack. but if the dual lens is actually a definitive improvement in image quality, and it means fewer moving parts inside which could be failure-prone, and, those moving parts being gone could also mean a more silent cam as well. that seems like a legit addition then.
By Anthony
No the dedicated cmos for night if engineered correctly can definitely improve night imaging. However on the 2017 Wild Game cameras that had two lenses I did not see a great improvement on night imaging. The problem to solve is motion blur and brightness.
By speed2spare
picdic wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 am but does a dedicated lens just for night actually produce better results? just wondering if it's legit, or just another advertising gimmick like the 4K cams.
it seems like it should be better at night, but I also have a hard time believing it can get much better than what is already available. I think tcams have just about hit their peak, quality-wise. we'll see more 4K, then an 8K should just be around the corner, as those TVs are now coming, the usual hype-crap of MP increase, we should be seeing 50MP cams next year, etc.
not sure how much better they can improve battery life. probably could still improve file sizes. but really, how much better can they really get? and do they need to get any better? dual lens, I never thought we'd see something like that on a tcam, and i'm not sure it's even a beneficial thing.
funny, that they can add an extra lens to a cam, but then the mic still has issues and the temperature readings are whack. but if the dual lens is actually a definitive improvement in image quality, and it means fewer moving parts inside which could be failure-prone, and, those moving parts being gone could also mean a more silent cam as well. that seems like a legit addition then.
I believe you will see the advancement in trial cams drop off significantly for several reasons. The first and biggest reason I believe is that they have lost their free and most valuable research and development department, the homebrew building community. What more could these companies ask for. They had people not only think up seemingly crazy concepts. But they actually designed, wrote code for control boards, and built the cameras. Proving the concept.

Ideas taken from the homebrew community:

Code to let cameras run in trail mode
Dual lense cameras
Cameras with multiple sensors that allow the camera to spin, following an animal
Hog traps with a cell camera sending a picture then allowing remote door triggering
I am sure more I am not thinking of.

The second huge factor that will limit advancement is cost vs picture quality. There seems to be cameras in the $125 range that take pretty darn good pictures and videos. It is hard to advance much from them and keep the same price range. Most people just want a camera that takes good enough pictures or videos that they know what critters are around. Though I do believe there is room in the cell cameras for advancement. As that is the future if they can improve signal strength and decrease cost.
By michaelb
Another benefit would be no filter click. it does spook some animals a bit and savvy criminals may zone in on the camera.
Another nice PA buck

Should be another good one.

Boly new 4G Cellular Camera

Doesn't look too bad..maybe a bit bright in the mi[…]

Best Browning for pics/video

Had some reward points and picked up a Recon Force[…]

This is exactly why I went with a 20w panel, never[…]