Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
By reaperman
Lately I've noticed what seems to be a new trend with lithium polymer power banks. Perhaps its because they claim these little units not much larger than a pack of cigarettes can jump start a totally dead car, in some cases up to 5-6 times before needing a charge themselves. This got me thinking if it were possible to power a trail camera for extended periods of time with one of these little units rather than a larger SLA battery? Or not possible at all?
By picdic
but what is their cost?
I don't really see where their need would really apply though. quite a few trailcameras these days are getting 10 months and more on a set of batteries. does anyone really go a full year without checking their cameras?
but I guess for getting vids, as that definitely uses more battery life. I have still never had any cams ever run their batteries dead though. not that mine are in the most productive areas though either. but if one is going that much, wouldn't they also be filling up the memory card also.
do rechargeables and a solar panel not work sufficiently for videos? I was going to try mine this past season, but the solar panel I have is for only my one particular cam, and it's definitely not a cam for video. I really wanted to try the solar/recharge route though, on my newest cam.
By reaperman
picdic wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:27 pm but what is their cost?
I don't really see where their need would really apply though. quite a few trailcameras these days are getting 10 months and more on a set of batteries. does anyone really go a full year without checking their cameras?
but I guess for getting vids, as that definitely uses more battery life. I have still never had any cams ever run their batteries dead though. not that mine are in the most productive areas though either. but if one is going that much, wouldn't they also be filling up the memory card also.
do rechargeables and a solar panel not work sufficiently for videos? I was going to try mine this past season, but the solar panel I have is for only my one particular cam, and it's definitely not a cam for video. I really wanted to try the solar/recharge route though, on my newest cam.
The way I see it is more and more lithium batteries are becoming the norm in the trail camera world. Everyone is recommending using them over alkaline. The cost of 8-12 AA lithium batteries isn't too cheap compared to a portable unit that can be bought for the cost of two sets of batteries and recharged. I don't know enough about lithium polymer batteries as far as holding a charge in cold weather. I know lithium ion batteries are effected by cold temps reducing their charges more quickly. I have no issues with a external SLA or even a car battery for a trail camera. But given the small size of the power packs it could prove to be more convenient than hauling a larger battery into the woods.
By Camoman1964
Problem with the lithium polymer batteries is that if you run them down to low they are ruined. It would need a circuit to drop it out when voltage was at a certain point or the integrity of the battery would be damaged. Cold also effects them but in the warmer climates I think they would work great. I have thought about it myself. I usually check my cameras every 2 or three weeks so if you just swapped batteries at this interval it should be fine. Also the lipos have charging specifics that might not be suitable for solar chargers without a protective circuit.
By speed2spare
Also remember these litte lithium packs work to jumpstart a vehicle because they can put out 30-50amps for short bursts. But I imagine even the best ones only have a capacity of around 3500mah or roughly 1.5 times what a regular alkaline has. Thus making no huge gains IMHO.
By picdic
I thought lithiums were recommended for use in the winter? I haven't personally tried them yet, as i'm doing fine with alkalines.
By picdic
ahh, I get it.
I have my covert out now, with my rechargables and the solar panel. I haven't left that combo out in the winter before. will see how it performs. it's only on pic mode though, so shouldn't be bad. but daylight hours are much shorter and way more cloudy days as well. and also have to worry about snow on the solar panel.
By Saskboy
I've always thought of using some of my old lipo batteries from rc airplanes as a power pack but as someone else already mentioned they can be damaged easily if voltage drops too low, also I dont think you can get away with a cheap solar charger if you were to go the solar route. SLA batteries and a panel is prob the cheapest way to go for long term power solutions. SLA batteries are less volatile when physically damaged also.
Forest Hackers (woodpeckers)

Then these could be a mated pair unless they are j[…]

Scenic deer in snow, turkeys

I like the way the fresh snow enhances the deer ph[…]

Siskin:)

Those are much more colorful than our pine siskin,[…]

Turkeys And More...2 Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFT_9cJbZ9Q ht[…]