This is the place to share all the cool pictures & movies you get from your trail cameras. In other words, if it's not a picture or movie related to a camera problem, it goes here. If it is a picture or movie related to a camera problem, please post it in the appropriate manufacturer forum.
By Woody S
Those are pileated woodpeckers. Pileated woodpeckers have a "mustache" stripe from the base of the bill back toward the neck; in males the stripe is red, females have a black stripe and a gray/brown forehead, males forehead is red. The bird closer to the camera is definitely a female, it's hard to tell but the bird on the stump looks like another female, however it might be an immature male that hasn't yet gotten its full male colors. Pileateds mate for life and usually defend their territory year-round. Here are photos of both sexes --
Attachments
Female - Pileated Woodpecker.jpg
Female - Pileated Woodpecker.jpg (158.09 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
Male - Pileated Woodpecker.jpg
Male - Pileated Woodpecker.jpg (106.29 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
Last edited by Woody S on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By dbaxter
Neat video Anthony :D and thanks for the info on the woodpeckers Woody! :geek: I was unaware of the different coloration on the male & female Pileated woodpeckers .
By Buck8Point
Yes those Piliated Woodpeckers may be gathering wood grubs to feed a nest of chicks. They are truly impressive birds, both in statue and in the unique calls and drumming that they make in the woods. One of my favorite birds to watch in the woods.
By reaperman
I go against the current when it comes to these guys. They are very destructive and can put holes in a healthy tree. I chase them away when I see them in my yard. I would never shoot one, I respect them for what they are.
By Woody S
"They are very destructive and can put holes in a healthy tree."
They certainly do work on live trees, but I beg to differ with your comment about them putting holes in "healthy" trees. If you take a good look at the holes, sometimes extremely large, made by pileateds you'll find that there are insect galleries inside the tree. Those are often carpenter ant tunnels or sometimes the galleries of wood boring insects; here are three examples in live trees, two in oak and one in a white pine. Those are not "healthy" trees.
Attachments
Pileated Woodpecker - 1.jpg
Pileated Woodpecker - 1.jpg (129.05 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Pileated Woodpecker (2).JPG
Pileated Woodpecker (2).JPG (149.23 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Pileated Woodpecker (8).jpg
Pileated Woodpecker (8).jpg (102.75 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
By Buck8Point
I agree...
From my experience having a tree farm which is mostly bottom land hardwood, most of the live tree damage from woodpeckers comes from Yellow Bellied Sap Suckers that are just drilling hundreds of small holes in the bark and cambium all around the trunks of trees girthing them just to get at the sap..
Live trees mostly convey nutrients in the cambium a very thin green layer just under the bark, the center wood can get eaten by carpenter ants, tree grubs, termites, etc, and still survive if the cambium damage is at a minimum. Now structurally that kinda tree damage can cause you big losses in wind storms, and hollows, and all kind of other issues too.
Ive yet to actually see a nesting pair of Piliated Peckers raising a clutch in anything other than a dead wood tree.
At least thats my experience.

Yes a built in bear zapper is a good idea. good f[…]

Actually 4 of them were in my APC rack mount UPS. […]

If I switch over to the new add a camera plan in[…]

5 Nice Bucks + -

5 nice bucks, that may be the understatement of th[…]