Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
By Mike8623
I was wondering what the consensus is on, what is best LONG RANGE Cam barring the Buckeye cam? What have you folks found, gives the best bang for your buck, works and has customer service something other than Buckeye?
By Mike8623
There will be no more Buckeye cams for me! I've been out of the camera market for awhile now due to the fact that I was using my buckeyes. I will continue to use them until they break and then throw them away. But I need to start looking for a replacement so I don't really know what is out there but it looks like a lot to me so maybe a little help here.

I think I'm going to go cellular, so a cell cam that is reliable, good trigger time, fast transmission time, Montana winter proof or as well as can be, got to -50 this year and I leave cams out all year. Something with solar panel or is able to have a solar panel attached/added. Need infrared. just a good all round cell cam anyone with any ideas.

By the way I did get my Buckeye going, if only Buckeye had tried to help solve the problem instead of telling me to send it in for $80.00 a hour and then saying it would probably be returned the way it came in. I mean what is tech service for? Oh I had also recently bought another computer with windows 7 due to their recommendation of the older Rc5000 buckeyes and the older windows operating systems being needed for the rc5000.
By Anthony
for years I ran the buckeyecam system with several cameras in an array and the PC base. I liked it.

There are several manufacturers now competing for cellular market. Most offer a stand alone turnkey product. Cuddeback (I have no experience with it) offers a camera array system like Buckeyecam.

I feel that for most consumers a simple turnkey product will be the least troublesome and create the least amount of support calls.

I am the owner of Ridgetec here in the USA. Our new Ridgetec Lookout 4G LTE would be a good fit for you.

private message me your phone and we can talk about what we have and what is coming from Ridgetec in the near future.

I can offere a demo camera if you want to try before you buy.
By reaperman
If your looking for a reliable cell camera go with the Ridgetec like Anthony stated above. I have one of them that I kept outside all winter here in Minnesota. This past winter was a good test since the temps were consistently in the -30's F and the coldest overnight was -40. I ran the camera off of an external battery without a solar panel without having to charge it once. I had no issues whatsoever with any aspect of the camera.
By Mike8623
OK guys let me readup on the ridgetec a bit. I've got to run over to Missoula today but will look them up when I get home. I also have two Saint Bernards, wouldn't have any other type of dog. They keep the bears away however they also keep most other animals away also. I did however have 3 elk outside our bedroom window this morning. I had been happy with my buckeyes up until this last incident.........but have had problems when all the foilage gets on the trees getting a signal. They do work but the whole pc base and signal issue along with having to have a computer in close proximity of the base can be a pain. The whole cell thing seems like it would be a better deal as there is no other items to have to use except the cell cam at the point of location. No base or separate computer in the garage to get the base signal and then resend it to my email and my at my chair computer. I did catch pictures of wolves, lions and moose this last winter. God has truly blessed me with the perfect location . I used to be an avid hunter but anymore I'd just rather watch them.
By Anthony
I am beginning to move in that direction. Over the last 30 years I have shot a lot of deer and ate them all. I am beginning to enjoy filming their behavior now as much as anything. I have never really been a trophy hunter but mostly love the experience and solitude of being in a deer stand, listening to the forest sounds as the sun comes up, watching foxes, bobcats, coons under my stand. I rifle and bow hunt. I just enjoy the experience of quiet mornings and watching/listening to nature.

I am even trying to treat my coyotes who have bad mange.

If I had a magic wand I think at times I would have waved and all squirrels would have disappeared. You know how that is. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By reaperman
Mike8623 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:52 am OK guys let me readup on the ridgetec a bit. I've got to run over to Missoula today but will look them up when I get home. I also have two Saint Bernards, wouldn't have any other type of dog. They keep the bears away however they also keep most other animals away also. I did however have 3 elk outside our bedroom window this morning. I had been happy with my buckeyes up until this last incident.........but have had problems when all the foilage gets on the trees getting a signal. They do work but the whole pc base and signal issue along with having to have a computer in close proximity of the base can be a pain. The whole cell thing seems like it would be a better deal as there is no other items to have to use except the cell cam at the point of location. No base or separate computer in the garage to get the base signal and then resend it to my email and my at my chair computer. I did catch pictures of wolves, lions and moose this last winter. God has truly blessed me with the perfect location . I used to be an avid hunter but anymore I'd just rather watch them.
You should post some of your photos for us to enjoy. It sounds like you live a I would love to. Also, I agree with you on St. Bernard's being your favorite breed.
By Mike8623
I added the dog remarks because I saw your dog pic. I just love saints, they sleep with us although it does get crowded and i have a Saint Bernard house and truck, I'm sure you know what I mean. You should see my Doggie door. We just let ours roam free, the things they drag up.

Anthony- I more than likely am a lot older than you and just kinda morphed into not hunting. I do not have a problem with those that hunt, except to the point that I don't allow moose hunting on or from my land. I have had friends hunt and kill elk and deer, both whitetail and mule deer on my land, also grouse etc. For me I just can't do it anymore. If I was starving it would be a different story. I have so many what I call "National Geographic" moments here in Montana it is amazing. I have a saying "figure out where you want to die and be buried at and START heading that direction". We see very few people and then only those we want to see. We do see however an awful lot of animals......The elk have been grazing around quite a bit lately and lots of mule deer on the salt block. I also am a trained Gunsmith and have a nice fully equipped attached shop built on to my home and a bluing room and color case hardening room built a short distance from my home due to the caustic nature of bluing. I do just a small amount of work locally for those in need and don't charge for it. This is a depressed area and the little money it cost me comes back a hundred times in things I need done and I enjoy just a small bit of work and on my schedule not theirs. I am however on a fixed income (via my wife) and have to save up for extras so I will read up on the cell cams and figure out whether it is a cell cam or more pieces of steel of build the things I need. My current Buckeyes are now working, there just won't be any more of them for me. I'll try to get a few recent pics posted of moose and lions and more that you can try to figure out what they are. Fish and game one time told me I had one that looked like Big Foot although it was more than likely a big Gtizzly, Oh and don't let anyone tell you that Grizzlies are endangered, there are more enough around here to populate California and New York.
By Mike8623
Here are a few pics and one of a long shot of where I live

p_001683.jpg
p_001683.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
p_001683.jpg
p_001683.jpg
p_001683.jpg
Attachments
p_002409.jpg
p_002409.jpg (60.87 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
p_003059.jpg
p_003059.jpg (45.8 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
PIC_0191.JPG
PIC_0191.JPG (88.5 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
By Mike8623
Sorry I got so many of the Coyote/wolf whatever they are and the last one is of our home, no-one else around we are very secluded.
By reaperman
Thanks for sharing. From what i just read you sound very content and happy, good for you. Don’t be a stranger, it’s not often we see mountain lion photos.
CELL-LINK By SpyPoint

I ended up getting it the other day...After speaki[…]

6-pt buck in velvet https://youtu.be/bgZSkYex2Iw […]

Bear messing with camera https://youtu.be/QX6NDhFn[…]

nope. just lots of black bear around