Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By mikeinkaty
Johnny, it is on the 3G. They never asked me about the 4G.

I did verify that the SIM card was still activated on the 3G. It’s not sending in either premium or auto mode. I have it watching the back porch now with send and control turned off.
By johnnydeerhunter
Mike if the 4g wasn't up to date then that's probably the issue. The latest firmware update was for a connection issue.

On the 3g camera did they have you try messing with the APN at all?

Can you post a picture of the SD card that you're using in the 3g camera?
By mikeinkaty
I’ve been using my 16 gig cards in the 3G for 4 years. Right now the 3g is setting on my back porch taking pics like crazy. I have send set to off. But it still put pics on the cards when send was on; just wouldn’t send them.

I have found two other guys having this same problem with the Spartan 3G. I’m beginning to think it has something to do with the setup switch.

FYI - I might be making a 6v, 13Ah, battery using LiFeP04 that will be charged from a solar panel. Should be MUCH lighter and last longer than the gel cells.
By LibbyLA
mikeinkaty wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:21 pm Why not use the AT&T store down the street?
As Johnny says, the store employees typically have no idea what Buy-A-Session is. They will try to sell you something that costs way more than BAS. They will generally not let you leave the store with an unactivated SIM for you to activate on BAS yourself.

Beware of using your 3G camera’s SIM in your 4G camera. The 3G camera has a 3G plan, which will stay a 3G plan on your 4G camera. You can’t just change IMEI numbers on the SIM, either, even though the plans cost the same.
By LibbyLA
mikeinkaty wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:18 am I’ve been using my 16 gig cards in the 3G for 4 years. Right now the 3g is setting on my back porch taking pics like crazy. I have send set to off. But it still put pics on the cards when send was on; just wouldn’t send them.

I have found two other guys having this same problem with the Spartan 3G. I’m beginning to think it has something to do with the setup switch.

FYI - I might be making a 6v, 13Ah, battery using LiFeP04 that will be charged from a solar panel. Should be MUCH lighter and last longer than the gel cells.
The 3G cameras didn’t send video. The 4G cameras transmit faster and can send video. They are much pickier about the SD cards than the 3G cameras. The wrong SD card can cause them not to transmit at all. I’ve even seen video where a bad SD card prevented the camera from coming up at all.
By mikeinkaty
Well, that may be, but like I said there was absolutely no instructions on anything in the box.
By johnnydeerhunter
Mike it's simple enough to get a new SD card for the 3g camera and try it, they do go bad. Sandisk, 16gb, class 10, 80mbs is my favorite and Walmart usually has them pretty cheaply.
By mikeinkaty
I sent my new 4G cam back. They said the SIM card was no good. They sent it back and it still would not connect. I will be asking for a full refund and a prepaid RMA if they want this one back.

Also got my LiFePo4 battery pack finished.
By johnnydeerhunter
Mike, did you get your data from Spartan or use a different SIM card and use ATT buy a session for the replacement? What's the firmware date on the camera?
By mikeinkaty
?
Last edited by mikeinkaty on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Gforce
I'm not having any problems with my spartan 3g cams yet but my next ones will be the RidgeTec's because of the support. It's nice to have someone that cares and will address a problem and you can talk to. Anthony has done a great job in building this brand and the support he provides is great.
By johnnydeerhunter
mikeinkaty wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 pm?
When you received the new camera where did you purchase the data from?
By mikeinkaty
My apology note to Spartan :

Cancel the product return. Read below. I’m happy now. Sorry for all the misunderstanding. Mike

After agonizing for several weeks I finally got my new 4G cell camera working. I could not get it to connect to a cell tower. A clerk at an AT&T store finally explained the problem I was having in a way I could understand.

AT&T has a new protocol requiring a device trying to connect to a cell tower to have a valid account before allowing a permanent connection. Before this change a game camera device would connect then later tell you that a picture could not be sent if there was no account.

Basically AT&T got tired of these type devices tying up a socket in the cell tower if they did not have a valid account.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 2, 2019, at 10:03 AM, Alex Geyer (Spartan Camera) <support@spartancamera.zendesk.com> wrote:
By mikeinkaty
Johnny, it’s now working with an AT&T “buy a session” plan. Read my previous note.
By johnnydeerhunter
Glad you're all up and running and happy again Mike.

Boly claims amazing trigger speed....0.1 sec......[…]

Hyperfire 2 need opinions

Can someone please upload some photos here f[…]

With camera sharing the recipient does not need to[…]

Lithium Ion or Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries […]