Use this forum to post questions and issues for discussion related to Browning cameras.
This year i started coyote hunting and also have a kill permit for deer on a large farm. I like the idea of watching a portion of a field using the time lapse mode but would also prefer it to work at night time. Does Browning offer this option on any of their cameras and if not, is their another quality manufacturer that does? Thanks
I have a strike force pro hd, red flash and black flash, both have time lapse. I would be surprised if their higher tier cameras don't have the feature also.
Your saying you can run time relapse at night and if so, which model number? You would assume that to be true for the black ops on all of their cameras but i'm fairly certain that for the models i purchased that it isn't the case for time relapse at night. Saturday morning i purchased a refurbished Apex with black ops specifically because it stated on the browning website that the time lapse is for both day and night. I would have called customer service but they aren't available on weekends. Hopefully someone else can clear this up or offer suitable options as yours sounds like one. I have witnessed the deer consistently pay little to no attention to the black ops while it's blasting them with 8 flashes but if surveying a large field in the time relapse mode at night, i think the red flash would work just fine. Thanks for the response.
Unless you have some artificial lighting in the field I feel the time lapse mode wont help much at all. The cameras IR sensor most likely wont extend much further than the cameras flash will illuminate. Therefore, you wouldnt be much better off than leaving the camera in its regular trail sensing mode.

I havent used the time lapse so I cant say whether or not it will illuminate at night. I will do an experiment with my red flash camera by putting it in a dark room today on time lapse and see if the IR's light up. My black flash is in the woods otherwise I'd try that for you also.

I attached the page from the owners manual from the Dark ops HD camera.
IMG_1024.jpg
IMG_1024.jpg (97.76 KiB) Viewed 321 times
I found this on Brownings website dated less than a year ago: https://browningtrailcameras.zendesk.co ... lapse-Mode

I tried my red flash in a dark room and it will illuminate in time-lapse mode. From what I read on the above website is the camera wont start to trigger until sunrise and stop at sunset. Therefore, it knows by date the sunrise/sunset times. So you could most likely fool the camera simply by changing the date to mid summer when when it stays light much longer. That would give you a few extra hours if operation. But what I also discovered since I've never used timelapse is the photos are put into a .TLS file extension. Which made them un-readable by my computer. The above website says a disc is included with the camera package to download the software for viewing. But no such cd was included in my cameras packaging. It also stated the file extension could be changed to .avi to view the photos. Again my computer couldnt open the photos after changing to .avi either. But I'm running a pc with windows 7. Good luck.
Thanks Reaperman. Looks like there's hope that at least I can have a motion detector at night while in time lapse mode at day time. I still don't understand why it the time lapse mode has to shut down the black ops at night. One of my black ops that takes motion pictures will adequately give an acceptable visual within at least 100ft, especially on a flat field. If positioned in the right place, i'd find that worthwhile. Looks like tomorrow I'll be bending the ear of customer service. I'd be willing to spend a little extra on a trail cam that can reach a long distance at night in time lapse mode though. Thanks again Reaperman
Some users a few years ago were adding flash extenders to their cameras. Perhaps someone here has more insight than myself.
vacentralhunter wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:57 am I still don't understand why it the time lapse mode has to shut down the black ops at night. One of my black ops that takes motion pictures will adequately give an acceptable visual within at least 100ft, especially on a flat field. If positioned in the right place, i'd find that worthwhile. Looks like tomorrow I'll be bending the ear of customer service. I'd be willing to spend a little extra on a trail cam that can reach a long distance at night in time lapse mode though. Thanks again Reaperman
I'm guessing it's for two reasons:

1) energy conservation. The flash is by far the most energy hungry part of the camera and if it were used even just once per minute that would be equivalent to another 540 photos (flashes) per 9 hours of darkness.

2) Image Quality. Even my Reconyx and higher end Bushnells and Brownings don't produce great images when the animal is far away at night. Some of my cameras trigger on deer that are 100' away or more, but the photos and video are noisy and pixelated. However, with that said, I have seen where I have several cameras located in one area and on occasion a distant camera will be triggered while a closer one is recording video. The distant camera illuminates the deer and it looks much better in the "remote flash".
I like the extended flash idea. I talked to customer service and none of their camera's work at night in the time relapse mode but as you mentioned it does take night motion pictures. I had no idea the black ops drained that much of the battery. No fear, one of the Browning camera's that's taken hundreds of photos/approx fifty videos and just spent two days in a field taking photos every two minutes in time relapse mode still says the batteries are 100% charged. lol. Somethings not right. Anyway, still a little curious if any of the other high end models offer something different. Thanks Reaperman.
You can always use a external battery to power the camera. On my red flash unit I kept track of how many photos it would take on a set of 6 alkaline batteries. It was over 22,000, but when it got around 18,000, the flash quit working. I know video mode will suck them up faster. I just got my black flash about a month ago, I'm not as familiar with what it will do. But so far battery life is good. I live in Minn, and i've had it out in temps -20F and the batteries are still pretty fresh. But its not taking alot of photos this time of year either.
If you are interested in a cellular operation, Our Ridgetec Lookout Dual camera does time lapse up to 24 hours a day. PIR or Motion sensing is ON by default but use can use Time Lapse in conjunction with Duty time and turn PIR Off for certain hours of each day.

So, if you want time lapse only or time lapse+motion Ridgetec supports both options.

Also keep in mind you can use the Ridgetec cellular cameras in non cellular mode at no cost. As a stand alone camera they are still just as good.
That's good to know about the external battery. I'v also thought about the remote cell option as well but was a little concerned about how close i'd have to be to the cam to get it to transfer but I agree it's a good option. This whole trail cam hobby is addicting and offers good exercise for me and my dog. You're saying that the Ridgetec offers time lapse mode at night? What kind of flash does it use? I'll have to check it out. Thank you
a cellular camera talks to a cell tower. you can be 10k miles away from it. The Lookout uses IR black flash which is invisible.

With lookout you can configure a start time and stop time for time lapse to include all 24 hours. You can turn PIR on and off by the hour using duty time. by default motion sensing is ON.
If it's not possible to time-lapse or photograph the whole area at night , perhaps you could find where they are traveling and setup cameras on the trails. Deer tend to use the same trails time and again, especially to food and bedding areas. If that would accomplish your main objective.

Nice ones. Hope your ankles heals soon.

Everything Spypoint is out for me after the troubl[…]

WTB PRIMOS PROOF 02

HOWDY FRIENDS.. I am trying to locate a couple PRI[…]

Anyone know trees?

I decided to make a lamp from part of the tree, it[…]