Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
The megapixel rating has nothing to do with quality. It only has to do with Quantity.

You walk into Walmart. TV section. On the wall are two TVs.

Both are 1080p.

they have a bluray playing a 1080p video into each one.

1080p = quality right?

WRONG.

You look at the one on the left and it is bright and crisp. While the one on the right is dull and fuzzy.

resolution aka megapixels is a quantitative value only. quality must be perceived by the viewer and judged in comparison to other products.

All cameras on the marketproduce images that are interpolated... this means they take the image from the native sensor which is 2 to 5 megapixel then "stretch" it ever larger calling it 12mp, 20mp, 30mp, 45mp.... all these huge numbers are total bull s**t.

A person must take both day and night shots in all weather and light conditions then compare them.

Do NOT shop by megapixel ratings. Its a waste of time.
Anthony wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:36 pm The megapixel rating has nothing to do with quality. It only has to do with Quantity.

You walk into Walmart. TV section. On the wall are two TVs.

Both are 1080p.

they have a bluray playing a 1080p video into each one.

1080p = quality right?

WRONG.

You look at the one on the left and it is bright and crisp. While the one on the right is dull and fuzzy.

resolution aka megapixels is a quantitative value only. quality must be perceived by the viewer and judged in comparison to other products.

All cameras on the marketproduce images that are interpolated... this means they take the image from the native sensor which is 2 to 5 megapixel then "stretch" it ever larger calling it 12mp, 20mp, 30mp, 45mp.... all these huge numbers are total bull s**t.

A person must take both day and night shots in all weather and light conditions then compare them.

Do NOT shop by megapixel ratings. Its a waste of time.
Thanks for all the info, however, you did not actually answer my question which was, does the mega-pixel rating of the camera affect (be it perceived or otherwise) ONLY still photos or does it also have an affect on BOTH photos and videos ?
True. The megapixel of 1080p is 2.1. most trail cameras have CMOS that is 3 to 5mp. So a 1080p video is underutilizing the sensors maximum capacity but this still has nothing to do with quality of the video or the photo.
Well quality has many aspects, like Brightness, Sharpness, Detail, Color Fidelity, Uniformity.
Normally, an imager with higher pixel count will give you better sharpness and more detail, but lower brightness.
Color Fideltiy is more an issue of image algorithm and lens, not much related to image sensor.

While the phones are having 100M pixels, most of game cameras are still stuck with 2MP/3MP/5MP imagers,
why? Because of the game camera makers could not solve the brightness problems for black IR cameras.
But there are some cameras that are using 8MP/14MP imagers that give much more detail and sharpness.

And, even two cameras with the same MP image sensors, may not give you the same quality.
Because software and DSP play a big role in image quality, so the maker's capability is important.

Most of 20MP cameras on the market are interpolated from a 3MP imager with a software stretch of
20/3 = 6.67x, way too much. On the other hand, if stretch a 5MP into a 24MP, the stretch is only 24/5 = 4.8,
more acceptable. Now, even if two cameras have the same stretch, the quality is again different from vendor
to vendor.
Then why don't trail camera makers just use the same technologies as phone cameras by just forgetting that nighttime/IR stuff because as far as I am concerned trying to take a decent photo WITHOUT good daytime lighting is mostly a waste of time and effort. From my experience, unless a deer or other subject is within 10 feet or less of the camera at night, the image quality is pretty much worthless. Browning and other brands of trail camera are putting features like Browning's CAPTURE TIMER on their latest cameras which allows you to set the camera to be active only during a certain time period, say 9am to 4pm. The rest of the time the camera is inactive. Thus there would be no use in having to make an effort for the camera to have basically one technology for nighttime/IR and another technology for daytime. Yes, I know many hunters will strongly disagree with this, however even if you can get a decent photo of a huge buck at 12am, how many of you are going to be out there at 12am hunting him. If you are, you are probably going to wind up in the pokey !!!
Many hunters reported that about 2/3 of the pictures taken are night pictures. I guess that's why night pictures are so important. Also, certain animals rarely come out during the day, so only night cameras have a good chance to capture them.
Al lot of hunters do night hunting (when not so cold or hot). Some others do trapping.

On the other hand, more and more people use cameras to watch their properties or take care of their homes when they
are on vacation. For security purpose, good night picture/video is a must.
April,

In general night hunting is illegal except for feral pigs. check your regs before trying to educate the US hunting public. :mrgreen:
Dbaxter, this ones for you

A true feeling of patriotism when witnessed in per[…]

Bison

Ok, this wasn’t from one of my trail cameras[…]

He’s a big deer when does bow season start, […]

Cold morning.

Was he vaping? I’ve never saw a video like […]