Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
By wpshooter
Does a faster speed "mbps" SD card necessarily mean that using a faster card will result in better/highter resolution photos and videos or is the speed only a factor in the smoothness of videos ?

Thanks.
By Anthony
I would say that the speed only related to having the camera complete the operation some milliseconds faster per event and that over time this will result in lower battery costs and better battery life.
By reaperman
wpshooter wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:49 pm Does a faster speed "mbps" SD card necessarily mean that using a faster card will result in better/highter resolution photos and videos or is the speed only a factor in the smoothness of videos ?

Thanks.
I gather you have Browning cams from your other posts. Browning cams can be card fussy when it relates to higher speed cards. I don’t know if the newer cams have the same issues or not. But my strike force hd cams won’t take pictures with a higher speed card. They will flash etc but won’t write to the card. You may want to test b4 putting in the field if this is what your planning.
By LibbyLA
The important thing is to use a card that matches the specs recommended by the camera company. With cell cameras, the speed does matter. A too-slow card can prevent the camera from even coming up or from transmitting photos or videos. Different brands, models, and types of cameras require different classes, speeds, sizes, and capacities of SD cards so use what is recommended for each camera.
By wpshooter
reaperman wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 pm
wpshooter wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:49 pm Does a faster speed "mbps" SD card necessarily mean that using a faster card will result in better/highter resolution photos and videos or is the speed only a factor in the smoothness of videos ?

Thanks.
I gather you have Browning cams from your other posts. Browning cams can be card fussy when it relates to higher speed cards. I don’t know if the newer cams have the same issues or not. But my strike force hd cams won’t take pictures with a higher speed card. They will flash etc but won’t write to the card. You may want to test b4 putting in the field if this is what your planning.
Thanks for your answers.

My problem is that when you ask Browning (or anyone else for that matter, even Sandisk) you can not get a specific answer to the correct speed of SD card that should be used in a specific trail camera. They just give you general answers like don't use really slow speed cards in some cases and don't use speeds over certain unspecific speed ranges in others. It seems sort of like you are left with buying whatever card you think "may" work and hope for the best. I may be wrong but surely when these cameras are designed and built some testing is done to see what speed is ideally needed for them to perform correctly.
By reaperman
I have quite a few class 4 cards by different manufacturers. They work in every camera I own, regardless of brand. In fact I just picked up another 8 PNY class 4 cards at a Walmart clearance for $2 each.
By wpshooter
reaperman wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:48 pm I have quite a few class 4 cards by different manufacturers. They work in every camera I own, regardless of brand. In fact I just picked up another 8 PNY class 4 cards at a Walmart clearance for $2 each.
That's great but as far as I am concerned class 4 cards are history, I don't use anything lower than class 10 cards of which there is an extremely large/wide range of speeds (both read and write) to choose from, all the way from about 30 mbps to I believe up to and maybe beyond 200 mbps.

See this article:

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photog ... -sd-cards/

Thanks.
Fresh snow spike

Have you noticed any difference in behavior sinc[…]

More snow

Where are you from? Alot of times when we get ear[…]

Ridgetec Camera vs Bear

Well the bear won ..... photos sent in by a custom[…]

YELP's new policy!

https://youtu.be/u6vL1LC8D_s